colossos colossos
msg tools
Hi all,

I'm new to board gaming 1 year now) after I bought Descent 2nd edition and enjoyed it alot playing with my wife. We mainly play with 2. Since then we liked:

- Descent 2nd edition (setup is abit long but doable)
- Claustrophobia (quick setup and cool miniatures with nice theme and killing each other :-)). This is our favourite game.
- Smallworld (its abit of a simpler but funny game)
- Mr Jack (everyone knows this one)
- Raptor (quick fast 2p game)

Mediocre :

- Space hulk (We like it but the setup is abit pfff)
- Level 7 omega protocol (setting this up takes too long).
- Mansions of madness (cool game but again long setup)
- Carcassone (Meh, doesn't hit the table because it's just meh)
- Catan (same as above)

We hate:

- 7 wonders (duel) (yes yes, alot of people like it but for me it is just picking cards and that's it). You don't care what you build. No theme.
- bohnanza (what the hell, I threw this game in the garbage after 10 minutes, harvesting beans... wtf)
- Elfenland (it's just Zzzzzzzzz...)
- Phase 10 (its just pointless, you take a card, I take a card,...)

I might also add we don't like Star Wars theme(yea, shoot me). We do like fantasy however. Sometimes (once a month) we play with a group and enjoy games such as Smallworld, Jungle speed :-)), Saboteur,... games where we can have a laugh and drink alot at the same time. I do try to get them involved in more "theme-based" games.

1. What 2p games are good for me?
2. Would blood rage be any good for my group and how does it fare 2p?
3. We played every mission of Descent 2nd a couple of times so maybe an expansion with ALOT of new mission scenario's? We don't like the app btw because we want to play against each other.

Thanks alot !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
I nostly play two-player games with the gf, so here's two we like:

Seasons is great and plays well with 2, also has amazing art and beginner and advanced modes of play.

Legendary Encounters: A Predator is a great deckbuilder with both fun co-op and competitive game modes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colossos wrote:
1. What 2p games are good for me?
2. Would blood rage be any good for my group and how does it fare 2p?
3. We played every mission of Descent 2nd a couple of times so maybe an expansion with ALOT of new mission scenario's? We don't like the app btw because we want to play against each other.

Let's see...

Blood Rage - I would give this a pass. It is fantastic and you would probably like it, but not for 2 players (really needs 4 to work well).

One game, that you might want to look into, is currently on Kickstarter:
Mythic Battles: Pantheon

It will be over a year until it will arrive, but it looks really fantastic, and the base game Kickstarter Pledge is a tremendously good deal. Definitely worth a look.

As for Descent... Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Heirs of Blood is a book with lots of scenarios. Not sure, if you need some expansions for it or whether it benefits from having any, but it sounds like you only need the Core Set for it. There are a couple big expansions for Descent, which add a lot of new stuff and new scenarios as well.

Blood Bowl (2016 edition) could also be worth a look. A super fun 2-player game about fantasy football (basically orcs and elves and such playing a sort of football game, which is more of a huge brawl, though).

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a good long look at these:

Earth Reborn
Dungeon Twister
Star Wars: Rebellion
Forbidden Stars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 for Forbidden Stars

It's my favorite heavy thematic game, which seems to be what you're attracted to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.” -Bukowski
badge
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” -Friedrich Nietzsche
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my own favourites include:
-Akrotiri
-Hive
-Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League
-The Rivals for Catan
-Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
-Le Fantôme de l'Opéra
-King & Assassins
-Armadöra
-Bigfoot
-Patchwork
-Steam Torpedo: First Contact
-Tiny Epic Galaxies
Or if you have any interest in vary long and complex games, my very favourite is War of the Ring (Second Edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
colossos colossos
msg tools
I'm going over the suggestions and the one that I actually seem to be interested in is "King and Assassins". Seems like a fun quick strategic 2 player game. My wife will love it to outsmart me and stab my king.

Earth reborn seems very rules heavy and takes forever so I think I'll pass.

Forbidden Stars I'll have to look into more but the 40K universe is not the wife's most favourite. Although she plays Space Hulk. She does like the Descent type of characters. Have to look into forbidden stars more.

Stars Wars: Rebellion. I watched a review and I like the concept and mechanics. I dislike the Star Wars universe though and my wife hates it.

I will buy the book "Heirs of Blood" for the new Descent scenario's.

Games like carcassone and farm-building games don't overly excite me to put it nicely.

Thanks all and keep suggestions coming. I'm checking them all :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.