Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Best mini-campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Doecke
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi guys.

I have seen a number of threads on what expansions to buy but often these judge these things on what plastic bits you get, whereas I am interested in the quality of the mini-campaigns in the small box expansions. We are just about to finish our first full campaign and its taken almost 2 years (we all have young kids), so I think a mini- campaign might be on the cards. Of course we will do the co-op app but I think some of us still like the human overlord factor.

Anyway, back to my original point, best mini-campaign. Of course it is all subjective so what would I value? I think balance of overall campaign and individual quests, interesting quest objectives / play, and, perhaps to a lesser extent, a good narrative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Donk84 wrote:
Hi guys.

I have seen a number of threads on what expansions to buy but often these judge these things on what plastic bits you get, whereas I am interested in the quality of the mini-campaigns in the small box expansions. We are just about to finish our first full campaign and its taken almost 2 years (we all have young kids), so I think a mini- campaign might be on the cards. Of course we will do the co-op app but I think some of us still like the human overlord factor.

Anyway, back to my original point, best mini-campaign. Of course it is all subjective so what would I value? I think balance of overall campaign and individual quests, interesting quest objectives / play, and, perhaps to a lesser extent, a good narrative.

I can't recommend one as i've never played a mini campaign. I will tell you that it shouldn't be Lair of the Wyrm. It's quite lopsided in quests and rewards. I've heard great things about Manor of Ravens though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Another voice that speaks not from experience: My own

I am familiar with the three available mini-campaigns, and of the three the one that I find most intriguing conceptually is Manor of Ravens. It also features the Lieutenant in every single quest, whereas in the others the Lieutenant only features in one of the Act I quests.

Skarn is also a more interesting character than Bol'Goreth or Valyndra. Manor of Ravens has a cohesive narrative too. It's telling that it was the third in the line, as the quality of connected story is superior.

Of course there is also Mists of Bilehall and Chains that Rust, each being half a campaign but can be played as their own separate stories. If you play them as one big campaign, 9 quests total. If you play one individiually, 5 quests total. It's only one more than the mini-campaigns from the other small boxes, and you don't have to worry about changing Acts midway. Since they are designed to be played as a single story rather than feature as Rumors in other campaigns, they are also narratively the most solid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Manor of Ravens.

Trollfens is pretty good too.

Wyrm was a bit of a stinker for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what you already own, but Manor of Ravens has a very good mini-campaign and imo the most interesting setting and lieutenant (Skarn is the only lieutenant I bought, because his design is so unique and interesting). The monsters are cool as well, but the hero classes aren't the most interesting.

Mists of Bilehall comes with more monsters, a pretty big, but elegant change in game dynamic (tainted cards), yet with no heroes and/or classes, but I guess its campaign is superior to Manor of Ravens, since every new expansion one uped the previous one in quest-design so far, yet I haven't tried Mists of Bilehall.

Also once you finished Mists of Bilehall, you have the option to get Chains that Rust to continue the campaign.

All in all Manor of Ravens is a very solid choice and to me the theme really worked out. If you prefer the Mists of Bilehall atmosphere and don't care so much about new heroes/classes you might want to consider it above Manor of Ravens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Doecke
Australia
flag msg tools
Thanks for opinions all. I think it is a helpful thing to dwell on. Unfortunately Lair of the Wyrm is the only expansion I currently own and I bought this because I bought Vlyandra with my original purchase (to get it over a free delivery threshold and because she looks cool). I have read that it is quite unbalanced, but at least I got some cool other things.

I wonder how well Mists and Chains work, it seems odd to design something that works as a single act and then also as a full campaign when combined with Chains.

Much to muse on. I do suspect that over time I might just end up buying it all, I feel that is has been a good investment given the hours and experiences we have got out of just Shadow Rune. I just wish we had more time to play

PS I did just discover a good sale, but there were no small box expansions available so decided to buy my own christmas present. Now I will be the proud owner Shadow of Nerekhall and Guardians of Deephall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.