GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,210 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Dungeon Crawler» Forums » Rules

Subject: I'm know I'm rusty (Thorn questions galore) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just opened up the deck, shuffled, and pulled a dungeon and a hand just from the expansion to see what was what.

My dungeon:
Stone Giant, Will O'Wisp, Poisonous Needle, Thick Underbrush, Buccas (that's just 3 but I stopped).
My hand:
Quick Draw, Metal Shield, Careful Search,Spectral Bolts x 2

Questions:

1. Unclear to me how quick draw works. If I place Metal Shield on it for a +7 stamina (I don't have the right adventurers to get the bonus on that card), it seems as if I could continue to get the +7 bonus each turn as long as I can pay the resource for metal shield but, right? But what does this 'do not reset this card' mean? Is it just telling you that so you can't add yet another card to it? It's a permanent and thus I would assume it would remain active until you could no longer pay the resource for the item on it or it got destroyed in some other way.

2. Will O'Wisp is confusing me. She's going to deal me damage if I deal her damage (Rampage 1). Why would I then choose to deal her damage? She's a 0 stamina and so will go away at the end of this turn anyway.

3. Spectral Bolts: I don't recall having crawler cards with time limits before (but maybe my memory is off). In any case, MUST I keep both of these cards around (thus reducing the number of new cards I can get next time) or can I choose to part with one or both of them if I want?

4. Overall my read on this dungeon is that it has a stamina of 16 (2 from buccas; 4 from will o-wisp (who got that from the terrain card); 10 from stone giant. I've got nothing to come close to dealing a damage.

I read dungeon has power of 4 from Stone Giant against my stamina of at least 8 (7 from shield + 1 from any adventurer).

Thus the outcome of all of this is zilch. I can't deal a wound; they can't deal a wound and all the cards but quick draw and its shield, stone giant and (maybe?) spectral bolts go away.

Overall something doesn't seem right here. Please fix the error of my ways! As usual I have the rulebook in hand but need BGGs expertise.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jey Legarie
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You are very brave to not include the core set to some degree.

adm1 wrote:
1. Unclear to me how quick draw works. If I place Metal Shield on it for a +7 stamina (I don't have the right adventurers to get the bonus on that card), it seems as if I could continue to get the +7 bonus each turn as long as I can pay the resource for metal shield but, right? But what does this 'do not reset this card' mean? Is it just telling you that so you can't add yet another card to it? It's a permanent and thus I would assume it would remain active until you could no longer pay the resource for the item on it or it got destroyed in some other way.

Quick Draw works like Cat Familiar, you can place a spare card that qualifies aside, and treat it as though it were in your Hand. The Metal Shield card is NOT in play, you still have to pay it's Cost to use it, and then Quick Draw resets for the next card you want to set aside. Overall it's an "extra" in-Hand card, that is visibly on the table.

Do Not Reset, yes, it is so that you can not add another card.

Permanent, yes, it continues to use Resources while it's in Play.

adm1 wrote:
2. Will O'Wisp is confusing me. She's going to deal me damage if I deal her damage (Rampage 1). Why would I then choose to deal her damage? She's a 0 stamina and so will go away at the end of this turn anyway.

If you deal Melee damage to her, she'll hurt you, but otherwise, yes you can leave her alone and she'll only contribute 2 Power to combat.

adm1 wrote:
3. Spectral Bolts: I don't recall having crawler cards with time limits before (but maybe my memory is off). In any case, MUST I keep both of these cards around (thus reducing the number of new cards I can get next time) or can I choose to part with one or both of them if I want?

The Torch was the first Time Limit Crawler card we put out in Mines of Khurgan.

In the end of the round phase you can drop Crawler cards you no longer want to pay for.

adm1 wrote:
4. Overall my read on this dungeon is that it has a stamina of 16 (2 from buccas; 4 from will o-wisp (who got that from the terrain card); 10 from stone giant. I've got nothing to come close to dealing a damage.

Stamina is defense, and Power is offense (Power is listed first in the 8/2 of the Stone Giant).

Stamina is a total of 4 from the Stone Giant (2 Armor + 2 Life).

Underbrush provides Power to the Fae and Stealth characters.

adm1 wrote:
I read dungeon has power of 4 from Stone Giant against my stamina of at least 8 (7 from shield + 1 from any adventurer).

As clarified above, you do not have 7 Stamina from the Shield.

The Dungeon, however, has an incredibly high amount of Power.

Stone Giant 8+2 (Base, Ranged) subtotal 10
Will O' Wisp 0+2+4 (Base, Ranged, Fae Bonus) subtotal 6
Buccas 2+0+2 (Base, Melee, Stealth Bonus) subtotal 4
Poisonous Needle 0 (Base, Contact) subtotal 0+Poison Token

TOTAL, 20 Power +1 Poison Token

adm1 wrote:
Thus the outcome of all of this is zilch. I can't deal a wound; they can't deal a wound and all the cards but quick draw and its shield, stone giant and (maybe?) spectral bolts go away.

Hopefully the above info clarifies the scenario better. Damage can certainly be dealt.

adm1 wrote:
Overall something doesn't seem right here. Please fix the error of my ways! As usual I have the rulebook in hand but need BGGs expertise.

You should be good to go now.
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jey! Clearly I needs a brush up on the rules!! Looking forward to getting this one back out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Jey: just re-reading your post with the cards in front of me. How does stealth on Buccas give a +2 bonus?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jey Legarie
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thick underbrush gives them a bonus.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.