Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Boniface
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In August of 2017 I'll be the primary staff member for a convention's Board Game Room in Orlando, FL. It will be my second year staffing this convention and 6th year in attendance. I am a major contributor to the board game room (loaning a large chunk of my 190+ game collection) but others contribute to the room as well. In addition to signing games in and out I also run panels, learn to plays, competitions, and other events related to board games.

The theme changes every year but for 2017 it's "Science Fiction." Specifically, much of the art parodies Star Trek & Galaxy Quest; focusing on the space faring kind.

I would like input from my fellow geeks on your personal Top 10 (or at least Top 5) Sci-Fi Board Game Lists. These games may help to influence which games I bring to stock the board game room.

-Titles may be loosely or strictly theme related, that's up to you.
-At least 2-3 different mechanics in a list is preferable.
-A short description of why you chose each title (even 1 sentence per title) will help me to determine which would best fit the target audience.
-My personal collection should not influence the titles in your list.

Thank you for your help.

!!UPDATE!!
I have created a Geek List to compile these titles:
Compilation List: "[REQUEST] Top 10 Sci-Fi Board Games"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet still waiting for the cooperative "Robinson Crusoe on Mars"

Terraforming Mars also waiting, this time for reprints . Had this on my whishlist for Essen, but was too late. ^^
Great looking industrial/manufacturing futuristic Mars colonization game with cards/hand management.

Firefly: The Game A must for every Firefly fan. Pick-up and deliver with some humor and many references to the series.

Merchant of Venus (second edition) The classic humorous space exploration and pick-up and deliver game from the eightes. Two different games in the heavy new box.

Star Trek: Frontiers Mage Knight in space. Plus Star Trek!

Roll for the Galaxy Spacy dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In no particular order.

Cosmic Encounter. A classic of negotiation and backstabbing. Asymmetrical starting powers and plays reasonably quickly.

Firefly: The Game. A cautious +1 to this. It's a fun thematic pick up and deliver game. The reason I'm cautious is that my group have all the expansions and wouldn't play the base game on its own. In particular, there's not enough player interaction for us without Firefly: The Game – Pirates & Bounty Hunters.

Relic. Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) in spaaaaaaaaace. That tells you pretty much everything you need to know. It's a Warhammer 40k reskin of Talisman. I prefer the original, but it's still good.

Space Cadets. One of the few coops I enjoy. It does take a fair bit of time (relative to most coops). But there's elements of dexterity, pattern matching etc. It's one of those games where the fun is in seeing everyone go wrong.

Star Smuggler. Classic old school P&P paragraph game. It's solo, so probably doesn't fit what you're looking for, so I include it for completeness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gusjustgus1 wrote:
Specifically, much of the art parodies Star Trek & Galaxy Quest; focusing on the space faring kind.

Based on this alone, Space Cadets: Away Missions ! Plus, its an outstanding game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Fraser
Canada
Lower Sackville
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While not my favorite theme for boardgames there are a lot of good ones, these would be a few of my favorites...

Roll for the Galaxy
Love it and I am sure many will recommend this dice game

Cry Havoc
A great dudes on the map area control game.

Among the Stars
Fits that drafting niche and easy to learn.

Eminent Domain
A very fun exciting hand management game.

Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game
Awesome co-op, lots of tension and great for any Aliens movie fan .

Shadowrun: Crossfire
Another deck builder amazing scifi game for the cyber punk fan.

Level 7 [Omega Protocol]
The best of the Level 7 games and a great 1 vs all game.

Specter Ops
A great 1 vs all but with out the overlord feel, has that scifi version of Dracula boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Rountrey
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
http://breakingthefreewillillusion.com/
badge
“I am a determinist. As such, I do not believe in free will. -Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission: Red Planet --Great, steampunk style sci-fi theme

Cosmic Encounter --Already mentioned but an essential in my mind.

Star Trek: Five-Year Mission --Underrated game. Cooperative from 3 to 7 players. Dice chucking game

Race for the Galaxy --Great with 2 to 3 players. Fun game to get better at.

Terraforming Mars --I think this game would be a hit, though I honestly haven't played it yet.

Star Trek: Ascendancy --Another new one, unplayed but on my wishlist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)
Alien Frontiers
Forbidden Stars
Terraforming Mars
Android: Netrunner
Mission: Red Planet
Cosmic Encounter
Ascending Empires
Merchant of Venus (second edition)
Race for the Galaxy
The Awful Green Things From Outer Space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Krauklis
Sweden
Bandhagen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coup: Fast and clever bluffing card game for up to six players, that can be played and replayed many times. As you get a few games under your belt, playing time can be reduced to under five minutes.

Twilight Imperium with the Shattered Empire expansion (a must): The penultimate 4x game. Its only drawback is the playing time - at minimum six hours. Then again, it'll eat up a whole day for up to eight players.

Xcom: Coop for (preferrably) three to four people, driven by a very well made app. Time pressure, subtle interaction, varied scenarios and pretty smart AI, different roles for different player types.

Battlestar Galactica: Traitor game for three to six players. Superficially a coop, but it's all about those secret Cylons (if there even are any). Usually a desperate struggle to keep the enemy at bay.

Armada: If you want a flashy, ready-painted miniature game for two that will draw attention. Armada is more mature and slower paced than X-Wing, but takes longer to play, maybe two to three hours (but building your fleet will take some time too). Requires a few expansions to unlock the full experience and for fleet variation, though. Can be played by more than two if you command individual ships/squadrons on the same side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League - Awesome two-player game in a literary universe that I enjoyed.
2. The Swarm - Underrated Kramer, by far the best connection game I have ever played.
3. Thunderbirds - One of my two favorite cooperative games. Fantastic logistic puzzle and risk management.
4. Abyss - Light but very pleasant to play, with amazing artwork. (It might as well be Fantasy, but I think it's Sci-Fi.)
5. Race for the Galaxy - Best tableau-building game.
6. Galaxy Trucker - Best real-time game.
7. Nautilus - Gorgeous and very thematic game of undersea building and exploration.
8. Ad Astra - Catan-inspired space colonization game with a much better resource generation mechanic and less trading.
9. Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit - The best Star Wars game in existence, despite being about Episode I. Excellent recreation of the final battles of the movie.
10. Khronos - Excellent use of the time travel theme, with three maps representing different eras.

Honorable mentions:
- Star Trek: Expeditions - Very thematic game that feels like an episode of the original series, despite being tied to the movie reboot.
- Journey to the Center of the Earth - A light but original family game based entirely on hand management.
- Alien Frontiers - One of the best dice placement games.
- Battle Beyond Space - All I ever wanted from a quick space battle game.
- Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) - Very good combination of role selection and area control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Godby
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter
Alien Frontiers
and the one I am surprised nobody has mentioned yet
Star Realms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schlueter
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sci fi games i have

Firefly-the game. Gives a feeling of the vastness and lonliness of space. 

Roborally- robots and programming chaos. Good exercise in what happens when AI goes wonky.

BattleTech. - big stompy mechs. Despite technological advances, humanity (and record keeping)  still hasn't evolved that much.

Star Fluxx - because somtimes space makes its own rules and sometimes those rules dont make much sense.

Death Angel - work as a team on a strange abandoned space ship and find out that ET doesn't want to phone home, he wants your eat your brain.

Risk: Star Wars Edition - because what Sci Fi story is complete without an epic and tense space battle? It is also one of the few war games that plays in under an hour.

Android: Netrunner - if you want cyberpunk hacking action, it doesn't get any better than this.

Forbidden Stars - grand interplanetary  conquest between 2 to 4 unique armies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Cadets
The whole thing is a spoof of Star Trek, even (especially) the box art and the expansion, Space Cadets: Resistance Is Mostly Futile.

Star Fluxx
Every keeper is recognizable from some sci-fi show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My current sci-fi favorites don't overlap well with the criteria.

Space Cadets Away Missions
Star Wars Imperial Assault
Nexus Ops
Space Crusade/StarQuest

I'm in Orlando ... what's the event?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy - good 2-4 players, however possibly not the best thing to learn at a convention.
Star Realms / Star Realms: Colony Wars - easy to learn, quick 2p space combat deck builders. Also they're fairly cheap.
Eminent Domain: Microcosm - quick 2p game, the rules might not be that intuitive though...

Note played but I really like the look of it:

Impulse (but again it might not be that quick to learn).

Whilst it's not really to my taste Star Fluxx seems a good plan as something people can just pick up and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Green
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add:

Dilluvia Project -a great and pretty heavy euro with worker placement and area control aspects. A tough game about a futuristic flying city.

Block Mania -unique vertical block-on-block warfare game. 2000AD setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of this years games Kepler-3042 is really good. A mix of Stella exploration and engine building
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gusjustgus1 wrote:

!!UPDATE!!
I have created a Geek List to compile these titles:
Compilation List: "[REQUEST] Top 10 Sci-Fi Board Games"

So, do you want us to add things here, or on the Geeklist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either way, my list is below. Based more on my top 10 for a science fiction convention than my personal top 10: I'm assuming people don't want to spend all weekend in the gaming room, playing a grand total of four games...

Space Alert: Galaxy Quest, the game. Cooperative game where the players make up the crew. Can be hard to run at a convention, because of the soundtrack, but very fun.
Star Realms: science fiction deck builder. More accessible than Core Worlds, which would also be a good choice.
Space Cadets: Dice Duel: real-time, cooperative-in-two-teams, spaceship combat.
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game: an easy miniatures game, pre-painted, on a theme everyone will (hopefully) recognize.
Martian Dice: a light push-your-luck game
VOLT: Robot Battle Arena: programmable movement and combat. Simple enough that kids can play it, still complex enough to hold adults' interest.
Battlestar Galactica: hidden traitor game. Possibly too long for the format, but very thematic.
Roll for the Galaxy: a quick role-selection game. I find it slightly easier to teach than Race for the Galaxy, which otherwise would get the nod.
Ad Astra: Catan in space. Because not everyone got into gaming through Risk these days.
Eclipse: 4X game, a genre many people like. Possibly too long for a non-gaming-convention game, but Eclipse is relatively short for the genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian S
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet - This will be out by Aug 2017
and also the quintessential
Space Hulk (fourth edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kepler-3042

Haven't played it often yet, but it got space exploration and planets to find and terraform and technologies to research and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal Charleston
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Don't think I've seen:

Core Worlds

Fun combined tableau and deck building, nice sense of progression in card strength, works with 2 players....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE science fiction!

Here are my top 10 sci-fi games that I own.

Android - This is the Blade Runner experience in a box. One of my all time favorite movies somewhat translated into its own universe. It's a looong game though, and definitely shows it's age. Even if you only ever play it once, it's a worth experience.

Battleship Galaxies - a 2 player miniatures game about fleet vs. fleet battles. It's simple, easy to learn and good to look at. A real shame it never saw any support from it's publisher.

Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space - A tense hidden movement game that celebrates movies like Aliens and The Thing. Plays up to 8 pretty well and is fast or short depending on the map.

Galaxy Trucker - One of the few games I've rated a 10. It's fun to build a ship and hilarious to see how well it does in the gauntlet. Leads to a lot of silly moments as long as you don't take it too seriously. The latest expansion Galaxy Trucker: Missions really adds something I've always wanted in the game: goals.

Race for the Galaxy - an absolute classic. Difficult to learn at first, but highly rewarding in it's depth and transparency. I think we'll still be playing this many years from now. The base game with the 1st expansion is plenty variety without overwhelming new mechanics.

Star Realms - quick, fast, deck builder with awesome combos. Fast setup and take-down for a deck builder too.

Spaceteam - the realtime pick. Lot's of yelling and screaming and then it's over in 5 minutes. Reminds me of another activity...

Quantum - An abstract capable of 4 players. Feels a bit like chess with the predetermined unit abilities but a whole lot more tactical.

Space Planets - one for the kids. A dexterity game with great artwork.

The Captain Is Dead - perhaps the closest I've felt to a Star Trek style game. Co-operative and challenging. Reminds a lot of players of Pandemic.

Honorable Mention:

Deep Space D-6 - you need a solitaire game too right? This one is amaaaaazing. I designed it so I should know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse — Really immersive, lots of options, but may be difficult to teach on the spot.

Roll for the Galaxy — Easier to teach, more interactive.

Race for the Galaxy — Appeals to those who are more "visual" due to the iconography. (My 78-year-old mom figured it out quickly.)

Tiny Epic Galaxies — Haven't played it, but could be a quick filler.

Mission Red Planet — Not as heavy as Eclipse; area control game.

Any of the Star Wars or Star Trek reimplementations of well-known games such as Risk, Catan, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Torrens
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Eclipse
Space Alert
Core Worlds
Battlestar Galactica
Star Trek: Ascendancy
XenoShyft: Onslaught
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon "that sci-fi guy"
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hi Matt, I'm also a big Sci-Fi fan and love games featuring this genre. There are lots of great suggestions on this thread already for you to check out, so I'm not going to add to that other that to mention one. Even though it's not the best game* on this list I would add a supporting voice to The Captain Is Dead as this certainly fits the bill as a Star Trek parody.

If you would like regular updates on Sci-Fi games that are coming out soon check out and consider subscribing to this list. New or Upcoming Science Fiction Themed Games - June 2017 Update

*It is still certainly very good though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.