Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Kidd
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the latest issue of White Dwarf delivered (the December issue, over a week early!) and hidden among all the new Blood Bowl fun is a small article announcing the re-issue of the 2014 versions of Space Hulk. Priced at £75 and should be available from the 3rd of December...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hereby solemnly swear that I will never Ever EVER by a GW game as soon as it is released again.

So there!

Grumbs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk : The Penultimate Almost Perfect "We promise it's the last" Limited Retail Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is good news!

Why did folks think they were buying a limited edition collector's item? GW labels their limited edition items, "Limited Edition." And, if they anticipate a product will sell out quickly, with no plans to do a second production run, they say so. So that folks who want the dang thang know they may not be able to buy it later.

On top of all that, only a nitwit thinks one of the more popular boardgames (with FOUR versions, all of which are still available on eBay) is an exclusive investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn I just spent a week painting up the 4th edition. I hope they spend some time on really good solo rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
Why did folks think they were buying a limited edition collector's item? GW labels their limited edition items, "Limited Edition."

Indeed. However, Third Edition *was* presented and sold as "Limited Edition", and was marketed at that time as the ultimate, definite Space Hulk edition

Of course, Third edition was never re-printed, so technically, they didn't lie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a dumb, false, petulant, intentional misinterpretation of a very true warning from GW that buyers should get them while they were still available. Or, miss out (for years, in fact). Don't knock a company for doing the right thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
What GW said was litterally true: they made a limited ammount of this production run, and had no plans to reprint it. Lamentably, common parlence means that "Limited Edition" means a low print run an never to be reproduced under any circumstance. People need to remember that words can have more than one meaning. GW even spelled out what they meant by this.

Actually, making a single orint run, letting it sell-out, then looking at if another print run is viable, is EXACTLY how most of the games covered on BGG work. GW are just being VERY up-front about working this way with Space Hulk, so I'm really failing to see the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
What GW said was litterally true: they made a limited ammount of this production run, and had no plans to reprint it. Lamentably, common parlence means that "Limited Edition" means a low print run an never to be reproduced under any circumstance. People need to remember that words can have more than one meaning. GW even spelled out what they meant by this.

Actually, making a single orint run, letting it sell-out, then looking at if another print run is viable, is EXACTLY how most of the games covered on BGG work. GW are just being VERY up-front about working this way with Space Hulk, so I'm really failing to see the problem.

Some people were pissed off when fourth edition was announced, because they thought they were holding a valuable, collector's item with their third edition. That, or they had a few other copies in stock and were planning to make a profit.

Personally, my only grief then was that they didn't offer an upgrade kit to get the new bits; I'm glad as many people as possible can enjoy the games I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:

Some people were pissed off when fourth edition was announced, because they thought they were holding a valuable, collector's item with their third edition.

I have zero sympathy with those people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They paid the price. Their game is still in shrink wrap, instead of on the table where it belongs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a 5th Ed or just a reprint of 4th Ed?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

panzer-attack wrote:
Dystopian wrote:

Some people were pissed off when fourth edition was announced, because they thought they were holding a valuable, collector's item with their third edition.

Me neither. But no doubt there were also those who desperately wanted it and spent a huge sum on it, thinking prices would only go up.

I'd be pissed too. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Looks to be "just a reprint." You know, like a Ferrari is just a car.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MintyTheCat Cat
msg tools
Jan Tuijp wrote:

panzer-attack wrote:
Dystopian wrote:

Me neither. But no doubt there were also those who desperately wanted it and spent a huge sum on it, thinking prices would only go up.

I am in the category of "had to buy at the higher price" as the third-edition was said to be limited. I think I paid €126 in 2012 for it. I missed out on it in 2009 and only found out too late. I have only ever bought the one copy of 3ED but oddly enough I play with 1ED and 2ED tiles as I prefer them to the 3ED tiles but I like the 3/4ED counters better. I do not to use the custom Blood-Angel Terminators and Genestealers too as they do not stand up well on the board and I cannot half the time work out which way they are supposed to be facing so we use standard Terminators and Genestealers when we play but I admit the miniatures that come with SH 3/4ED look very good indeed jsut a little impractical.

Either way, if they do make it available to more people and not make it so that people have to miss out on playing it then I am happier that more people can play it.

Now if only GW will support this game - I really like it and I play it the most but I never got into playing 40K or anything like that as it was too pricey for me personally. I have had loads of fun playing SH over the years and it is pretty much my 'go to game' so paying over the odds a bit was just unfortunate but keep it in perspective: it was a limited released between 2009 and 2014 - 5 years so some people will be happy to pay a premium to be able to play it and no one really knew that 2014 would bring a re-print so you go with what you know at the time I suppose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:

panzer-attack wrote:
Dystopian wrote:

What was a "huge sum?" $100. At the new price of $125, it's still $25 cheaper than Betrayal at Calth, Deathwatch: Overkill, and Burning of Prospero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Shepherdson
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont remember the 2014 one announced as a limited edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are store shelves bare enough to warrant another printing?
I was under the impression v3.5 was still readily available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waynez wrote:
I dont remember the 2014 one announced as a limited edition.
It was not. The "controversy" is about the 2009 release.

The third edition of Space Hulk was released in September 2009.

The mail order stocks sold out three days before release, and most Games Workshop retail outlets were sold out within a week of release. Games Workshop announced no plans to reprint this edition of the game as it was intended to be a limited release.
- Wikipedia

"Limited release" meant it would not have multiple print runs. One and done. To emphasize that point, a GW advertisement warned it would never be reprinted. And, technically, it wasn't. Five years later GW released what they called "Forth Edition." Essentially the same components with a few extras. Some rules tweaking and a few new scenarios. This release caused a financial calamity for the idiots misguided few who planned on making millions selling their one copy in the far future. Their lives were never the same again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
Are store shelves bare enough to warrant another printing?
I was under the impression v3.5 was still readily available.

It's still pretty easy to get a copy around me. On the other hand, I heard a rumor earlier this year mixed in with all the Silver Tower news that they were looking to put out some expansions for the Hulk, so from that standpoint it would make sense to have it in print if they're going to go that route.

Kindly don't take this as confirmation that those are in the pipeline as I don't have any inside knowledge, but it might not hurt to save up some of that hobby budget!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... hopefully the Chaos Space Marines I put together will come in handy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And, I suppose these SH expansion rumors are more believable just because they brought back the Genestealer Cult?

Hey, wait a minute!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

GW's blog confirmed in the last 24 that this is a streigt re-issuse of the 4th edition game from 2014.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
Jan Tuijp wrote:

panzer-attack wrote:
Dystopian wrote:

What was a "huge sum?" $100. At the new price of $125, it's still $25 cheaper than Betrayal at Calth, Deathwatch: Overkill, and Burning of Prospero.

No, I was talking about people paying over $200 (or more) for 3E.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you missed buying 1E off the shelves, it was a 7 year-long wait for 2E. Then, a 13 year-long wait for 3E! Thirteen years! With no expectations they would ever reprint the game.

But, what you are saying is after 3E, GW should have said we may reprint the game sometime in the future. Seven years? Thirteen years? How about my Genestealer Cult wait of 23 years? Instead, it was a mere 5 years. So, someone who desperately wanted the game ($200) could have patiently waited half a decade to save $75. That's life-changing money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.