$30.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Village Port» Forums » General

Subject: Village and village port, without village inn. Thoughts about luck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Village Inn seems to add luck to a non luck game, in that some cards will benefit some peoples' strategies, and others will be left without similar cards. I enjoyed Village for its lack of luck. It doesn't seem like Village Port has any luck elements.

Did I miss anything? How does it play combined with the original, without the Inn?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Pelvin
Australia
Macquarie
ACT
flag msg tools
The treasure chests are random aren't they? So yes, there's a bit of luck. Travel is vastly improved though.

The base game isn't entirely without luck, there's the random draw of cubes from the bag, which can be very handy if they fall your way, and there's the meeple draws from the bag for mass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
shadow9d9 wrote:
How does it play combined with the original, without the Inn?

Port plays fine without Inn. Its actually my preferred way of playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pelvo wrote:
The treasure chests are random aren't they? So yes, there's a bit of luck. Travel is vastly improved though.

The base game isn't entirely without luck, there's the random draw of cubes from the bag, which can be very handy if they fall your way, and there's the meeple draws from the bag for mass.

Also there's random captains to hire. Unlike the Inn the piles are sorted into cost. Also, the Life Goals mini expansion gives each player 2 random hidden goals.

Also, to support that the game has always had a bit of luck, there's also the customer tiles, which gets shuffled or thrown into a drawstring bag (if you want to and have a spare bag) and drawn at random. No argument intended, just supporting your arguments.

And to answer the OP's question, yes, Port plays just fine without Inn, as that's how I played my first game of Port. Though, we didn't play with the hidden goals cards activated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
Village Inn seems to add luck to a non luck game...

Base village has a lot of luck: drawing from the cathedral bag, which marketplace tiles come out, and which action spaces get certain color cubes are all pretty important.

Thus, I think inn is a great expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lomdr wrote:
Also there's random captains to hire.

Captains are not random. You can choose any to hire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Pelvin
Australia
Macquarie
ACT
flag msg tools
lomdr wrote:
pelvo wrote:

Also there's random captains to hire. Unlike the Inn the piles are sorted into cost. Also, the Life Goals mini expansion gives each player 2 random hidden goals.

Also, to support that the game has always had a bit of luck, there's also the customer tiles, which gets shuffled or thrown into a drawstring bag (if you want to and have a spare bag) and drawn at random. No argument intended, just supporting your arguments.

And to answer the OP's question, yes, Port plays just fine without Inn, as that's how I played my first game of Port. Though, we didn't play with the hidden goals cards activated.

Good point on the market and the goals! Although, as GSReis said, I thought you could pick a captain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pelvo wrote:
lomdr wrote:
pelvo wrote:

Good point on the market and the goals! Although, as GSReis said, I thought you could pick a captain.

Whoops, made an accidental variant misunderstanding the rules: we played captain cards shuffled, you buy the top card when hiring a captain ^^;. Granted, first time playing the expansion for both players (we were both familiar with Village)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.