GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,769 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

The Colonists» Forums » Rules

Subject: Altruist and Laborer Ambassadors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
The rules talk about how you use these 2 Ambassadors but don't exactly say how long their specific tile benefits last and whether the player who DIDN'T move them could also benefit from their position?

Specifically, the rules say "You may move the Altruist at the start of one of your three turns. The Altruist grants you a discount on all of your actions..."

All of your actions in that same round or also in future rounds? And how is the other player who also has Level 2 relations with the Altruist affected by this?

And again the rules state "You may move the Laborer at the end of your third turn. You will only benefit from him on another player’s turn."

In the following round only or as long as the Laborer remains where he is?

Examples:

For example, say Player A and B both have access to the Altruist. Player A moves the Altruist to a Riverbank Grove as in the rule book example on page 19. The Altruist then remains there, and in the FOLLOWING turn year, Player A buys 4 planks as in the example. Would player A still receive the 3-wood discount? Or does the Altruist's "Riverbank Grove" benefit expire at the end of the half-year in which he was moved there by Player A? And, in this same example, could Player B also take advantage in a subsequent year of the Altruist being at the Riverbank Grove even though it was Player A who moved him there?

Similarly, what if Player A moves the Laborer to the Hunting Lodge builder tile, and the Laborer remains there for several rounds? Would Player A receive the benefit of the Laborer if Player B used the Hunting Lodge several rounds later? And what if Player A herself used the Hunting Lodge a couple rounds later? Could B get the benefit even though it was A who moved the Laborer there in a previous round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You always benefit based on where the pawn is currently sitting, regardless of who moved it there, or when. The pawn has no "memory" regarding who moved it when it got moved.

For example, if you move the Altruist to the Riverbank Grove (3 wood), even if it never moves again, you receive a 3 wood discount during every half-year for the rest of the entire game (assuming it never moves from that spot).

Similarly, if you put the Laborer somewhere, then it means any time another player builds there, you get the free resources.

Only players who have reached at least level 2 in those Colonies can move the Ambassadors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Faranim wrote:
You always benefit based on where the pawn is currently sitting, regardless of who moved it there, or when. The pawn has no "memory" regarding who moved it when it got moved.

For example, if you move the Altruist to the Riverbank Grove (3 wood), even if it never moves again, you receive a 3 wood discount during every half-year for the rest of the entire game (assuming it never moves from that spot).

Similarly, if you put the Laborer somewhere, then it means any time another player builds there, you get the free resources.

Only players who have reached at least level 2 in those Colonies can move the Ambassadors.

Thanks, that makes sense to me. So if both players have reached Level 2 of the respective Colonies, they both get the benefit of the Altruist or the Laborer being where it is.

What made me think otherwise were the rules about when you could move the Ambassadors. The rule that said you could only move the Altruist at the start of a turn made me think it might only last for the round. And the rule that said you had to move the Laborer at the end of your 3 turns made me think it might only last into the following round. I was reading too much into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:

It's not just once per half year, though - it's once per action. Which makes it massively beneficial - much more so than the Labourer IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Faranim wrote:

It's not just once per half year, though - it's once per action. Which makes it massively beneficial - much more so than the Labourer IMO.

Well, it's once per "turn," not per action, which makes a difference given that sometimes you can do more than one action in a turn.

There's a lingering doubt in my mind, however, about how frequently you can use the altruist ambassador, since the rule book inadvisably uses the word "turn" to refer to two things: (1) each of the three turns you can take in a half-year, and (2) the totality of those 3 turns. On page 7, for instance, it refers to those 3 turns together as "Your Turn."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I used the word "action" - the thing that you do when your Envoy arrives at a place, as opposed to "impulse" - the thing that your Envoy can do multiple times at a place, or "round" - the half-year period. None of which are terms that appear in the rulebook, so we end up scratching our heads over what a turn is and is not

Using the Altruist three times per half-year is incredibly powerful IME. Much more so than someone like the Trader (which requires you to go to the Market and forgo the Market's other actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
That's why I used the word "action" - the thing that you do when your Envoy arrives at a place...

But what I was referring to is your statement that you get the Altruist discount "not just once per half year, though -- it's once per action." That's incorrect. It's once per turn, which is a different thing (since you can sometimes do more than one action on a turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for clarity - the Level 2 altruist discount can benefit you once in the summer and once in the winter, right?

I am getting a little confused.

Edit: I'm wrong. See below

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
RDewsbery wrote:
Faranim wrote:

Well, it's once per "turn," not per action, which makes a difference given that sometimes you can do more than one action in a turn.

There's a lingering doubt in my mind, however, about how frequently you can use the altruist ambassador, since the rule book inadvisably uses the word "turn" to refer to two things: (1) each of the three turns you can take in a half-year, and (2) the totality of those 3 turns. On page 7, for instance, it refers to those 3 turns together as "Your Turn."

Regardless of a few mangled terms, which they've acknowledged, the Altruist ambassador allows you to benefit from the discounts you get each of your three turns per half year. If I go to a plank maker (the 2 wood > 1 plank person), with the ambassador on a grove (+2 wood), I get a discount of two wood on the total cost of planks made. Then, for my second turn (as the term is intended) I go to a building location that costs wood, I get the 2 wood discount again.

Yes, it can be very powerful, but often requires you to sequence your moves to gain maximum benefit from the ambassador. Often this sequencing isn't easy or even possible.

alexankh wrote:
for clarity - the Level 2 altruist discount can benefit you once in the summer and once in the winter, right?

I am getting a little confused.

No, it benefits you at each location you move to, each time you're there, assuming the goods provided are of use to the action(s) you're taking. See the explanation above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.