Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Maximum Score Possible rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kester 42
msg tools
As an interesting exercise, I was curious as to what would be the highest possible culture score possible (with random card draw), so I tried some 4p "Solo" games on boardgamingonline and my best result has been 3514 culture http://www.boardgaming-online.com/index.php?cnt=202&pl=73481....

My army strength was 276, but I could have easily gone up by another 18 points if I was strictly focused on military strength (I built some Air Forces at the end for Impact of Competition points versus building another Mechanized Army). Could have easily gone higher by destroying Movies, Multimedia, etc.

Some tips for anyone trying this challenge:

- Basically play a 4p game with 3 "dummy" players and one "real" player, all controlled by the same person and all playing actions that strictly benefit the "real" player's position.

- Have the "real" player go fourth to squeeze out some final war points by triggering Impacts cards with the "dummy" players before the war resolves.

- Michelangelo is vital for the "real" player to grab all the Wonders easily

- Dummy players should almost never take a card that is not in the first slot (going to be dropped), which means often passing with Civil Actions remaining.

- Dummy players should discard aggressions so that the Real player can pick them up after the military cards have been exhausted, which should happen in every Age.

- Wars are the main way that the Real Player gets points (about 50% of total points), and they should be held off until as close to the end of the game as possible. Target 3 Culture Wars against every Dummy player (often triggered by the Dummy players).

- Dummy players should rush to exhaust their population track as soon as possible to avoid losing 2 yellows when the Age changes. The Moses player should be fully exhausted before Age II and the rest mid-way through Age II. War of territories can finish any Dummy players off. Thus, the Dummy players should focus on building farms first, then after yellows are exhausted, switch to rock and culture production.

- Real player should get every Colony in the game for the price of 1 Warrior each. This makes James Cook the best Age II leader. Sid is probably the best Age III leader (didn't work out for me in my game above), but I would settle for Bill Gates instead, since it is better to hold onto James Cook until Age IV anyway.

- Hollywood is the best Age III wonder with this setup, followed by Internet, then First Space Flight. Fast Food Chains should be built by a Dummy player. Be careful about not building too many early wonders otherwise you will not have enough Civil Actions to take the Age III wonders (even when they are in the 1 Civil Action section).

- Mechanized Army is the best military tactic. If the real player does not draw the tactic, then just play it with a Dummy account and adopt later.

Happy to answer any questions on my strategy and hoping to see someone beat my best score!

17 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For some weird reason, I found this totally interesting.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Block
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
For some weird reason, I found this totally interesting.


lol!!!
laugh
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ali Cali
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
For some weird reason, I found this totally interesting.
It was very interesting, and I jokingly suspect the cause of BGO going down for a few days.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sporre
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a try and it was quite fun, although it took a long time. Only got to 2744 points the first time, but I learnt some things.

- Early Irrigation is important. I couldn't empty the yellow banks of the three players before Age II started even with 7-8 farms.
- Early Michelangelo, Bach and Shakespeare is extremely important to make sure as many players as possible get culture.
- Make sure all players have at least 3 military actions at the start of Age III so everyone can start declaring wars on the primary player. That way you don't have to have more than 100 strength and can use the population for other things.
- If the primary player has too little science in Age II one of the dummy players can declare War over Technology to give him some science.
- If an unnecessary wonder lands in the first spot for a dummy player he can take it and then have it removed via Infiltrate to get some more culture into the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly an interesting puzzle.

vandevrande wrote:
- Dummy players should rush to exhaust their population track as soon as possible to avoid losing 2 yellows when the Age changes.


Can you explain why this is important?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sporre
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
It's certainly an interesting puzzle.

vandevrande wrote:
- Dummy players should rush to exhaust their population track as soon as possible to avoid losing 2 yellows when the Age changes.


Can you explain why this is important?


You want as much population as possible to produce culture in Age II/III and to score impacts. You don't want your yellow tokens to go back to the box.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester 42
msg tools
woodnoggin wrote:
It's certainly an interesting puzzle.

vandevrande wrote:
- Dummy players should rush to exhaust their population track as soon as possible to avoid losing 2 yellows when the Age changes.


Can you explain why this is important?


The ideal end game position is to have 16 urban buildings (even dummy players), which is usually 4 theaters, libraries, temples, and labs, so a lot of population is required.

Also, while rushing out all population avoids an unnecessary negative of losing 2 yellows at Age change, it also makes the gameplay of dummy players easier. Once all their population is out, they can leave only enough farms to produce 6 food per turn (produce less until they run out of food first) and then concentrate on rock / culture production. I sometimes like to play rats to speed up the loss of food, in order to help reduce the inevitable corruption.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester 42
msg tools
Steinman wrote:
I had a try and it was quite fun, although it took a long time. Only got to 2744 points the first time, but I learnt some things.

- Early Irrigation is important. I couldn't empty the yellow banks of the three players before Age II started even with 7-8 farms.
- Early Michelangelo, Bach and Shakespeare is extremely important to make sure as many players as possible get culture.
- Make sure all players have at least 3 military actions at the start of Age III so everyone can start declaring wars on the primary player. That way you don't have to have more than 100 strength and can use the population for other things.
- If the primary player has too little science in Age II one of the dummy players can declare War over Technology to give him some science.
- If an unnecessary wonder lands in the first spot for a dummy player he can take it and then have it removed via Infiltrate to get some more culture into the game.


Good points. To get the military actions, I usually get Constitutional Monarchy on two of the dummy players and Napoleon on the other (Napoleon is not a problem on a dummy player when they have zero military), then later get Communism.

I will say that I don't recommend starting the Wars early into Age III. Better to wait as long as possible and build up the real player's military strength as much as possible. That way, the wars can scoop up points from the Impact cards as they start dropping. Choosing which Impact cards to play last (save for endgame scoring) is very important, but fairly easy to do - just play the cards that the real player has already maxed out points for (Colonies, Strength, Science, etc.).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sporre
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On my fourth try I managed to score 3631 points.
http://www.boardgaming-online.com/index.php?cnt=202&pl=73568...

I had some luck with well-positioned infrastructure cards (food, rock, science) so that Selective Breeding/Coal fell to players that didn't have Irrigation/Iron, but also some bad luck with late Shakespeare and one player who was stuck with Robespierre all the way to the end of age III (by the time some decent leaders from age III came around I didn't want to take another extra card from the row).
The primary player also fell into a bad cycle of military draws mid/late age III (where the cards you discard are the ones you draw) and almost didn't have time to declare the wars he wanted on one of the players.

Modern Army is slighty better than Mechanized Army for population efficiency with Air Forces (5 pop give 26 tactic strength, vs 4 and 20), so if the necessary military technologies fall into your hand that's good.

I was extremely conservative with taking cards from the row and managed to stretch it to 40 complete turns. Basically the only cards I jump up the row to take are Michelangeo, Shakespeare, Cook, Bach, the occasional Opera/Movies/Multimedia and age III governments (getting a fourth pair of Library and Theatre 3-4 turns earlier is very good, especially for Shakespeare).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester 42
msg tools
Steinman wrote:
On my fourth try I managed to score 3631 points.
http://www.boardgaming-online.com/index.php?cnt=202&pl=73568...

I had some luck with well-positioned infrastructure cards (food, rock, science) so that Selective Breeding/Coal fell to players that didn't have Irrigation/Iron, but also some bad luck with late Shakespeare and one player who was stuck with Robespierre all the way to the end of age III (by the time some decent leaders from age III came around I didn't want to take another extra card from the row).
The primary player also fell into a bad cycle of military draws mid/late age III (where the cards you discard are the ones you draw) and almost didn't have time to declare the wars he wanted on one of the players.

Modern Army is slighty better than Mechanized Army for population efficiency with Air Forces (5 pop give 26 tactic strength, vs 4 and 20), so if the necessary military technologies fall into your hand that's good.

I was extremely conservative with taking cards from the row and managed to stretch it to 40 complete turns. Basically the only cards I jump up the row to take are Michelangeo, Shakespeare, Cook, Bach, the occasional Opera/Movies/Multimedia and age III governments (getting a fourth pair of Library and Theatre 3-4 turns earlier is very good, especially for Shakespeare).


Nicely done!

Good point on Modern Army. It is slightly better if you can get the right military techs to fall properly, but you'll know if you did before the end of Age II.

On getting stuck with drawing only the cards you discard near the end, what I have done is adopt tactics multiple times to burn through military actions, in order to minimize the amount of cards you draw. That way, you might discard 3 and draw 0-1, which is a way that you can "pass" cards to other players. You can also save Age II military cards to discard at the end because they won't go into the discard pile.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sporre
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What I usually end up doing is to build and disband warriors for the dummy players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester 42
msg tools
After a few more tries, I hit a new high score of 3922 (http://www.boardgaming-online.com/index.php?cnt=202&msg=400&...).

I figured out to hold the negative Age II events until I had seeded 12 Age III events, then I played the Age II events to trigger as many Age III events as possible, which gave all players more points and enabled the real player to collect even more points from Wars against the dummy players. The negative Age II events never triggered. I saved the Age III events that only really helped the real player until the end (Colonies and Competition).

I rushed Agriculture as usual and had every dummy player with 0 or 1 yellows left in their bank at the end of Age I (even despite Irrigations coming out very late). Then I triggered Pestilence, Enslaves, etc. to make them lose population in Age II and have the real player steal them via Wars of Territory.

Game lasted 41 rounds, and the only extra cards that I took from the card row were: St. Peter's, Monarchy, Great Wall, Organized Religion (to setup Canon and Cavalrymen for the real player), Bach, Air Forces, and Multimedia. I did get lucky with where Mike and Shakespeare fell, but got unlucky with some of the early infrastructure (one dummy player had only Bronze the entire game).
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this for the first time: http://www.boardgaming-online.com/index.php?cnt=202&pl=73846...

At first attempt I only got 2520.

Mistakes I made:
-Had primary player in first slot instead of last.
-Forgot that the cards taken on the first pseudo turn do not shorten the game so only had one player take one.
-Didn't realize that war over territory wouldn't steal tokens unless they were in the bank so they were all already popped up and unavailable.
-Accidentally won the bid for a colony with a dummy player.
-I didn't take Michelangelo as my leader

I am sure that I made others but those were the ones I noticed. Good puzzle!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Sporre
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
New high score of 3931: http://www.boardgaming-online.com/index.php?cnt=202&msg=400&...

Had some bad luck with late Mike and Shakespeare, as well as infrastructure for the main player (only got a farm upgrade in the third age). This meant that I couldn't empty the main player's yellow bank before Age II ended. I also did a goofy mistake in that I triggered the first Inhabited Territory when no player had a military unit. And one player had an unfinished wonder when Fast Food Chains should have been taken by him.

The bad luck was mitigated by how the military techs landed for the main player. Early upgrades meant I had over 100 strength early in the third age and could start warring promptly to get a WoC from a player with 3 in hand to someone else. After that all players had an even distribution of wars and all dummy players were at 0 culture during the final round. I got some final culture by having the player I had declared war on grab some culture through an Armed Intervention against another player.

I used the tip of triggering Impacts with Age II events with some success.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.