Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Schultz
United States
Bear
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that when a migration occurs one boat must be assigned to each beach of the island on which they are landing, and then the remaining boats are placed at the whim of the active player. What happens if one of the beaches on the island is already full? This can happen when an expedition is bounced back from a claimed island or when the expedition loops back to the originating island. If the condition that placing a boat at each beach can't be met, do the remaining boats get placed or discarded?

By the way, this is a GREAT game...one of my current top 5!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten ◄► Wesel
Germany
Pinneberg-Quellental
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
> If the condition that placing a boat at each beach can't be met,
> do the remaining boats get placed or discarded?

They get placed.
But first you put one boat on every beach, where you'll can find at least one space left.

As I'm a playtester of this game, you can belief me meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
robdnose wrote:
What happens if one of the beaches on the island is already full? This can happen when an expedition is bounced back from a claimed island or when the expedition loops back to the originating island. If the condition that placing a boat at each beach can't be met, do the remaining boats get placed or discarded?

An island should never end or begin a turn with a full beach. It's my understanding that when/if a migration is bounced, when they get back to their original island they're redistributed per the rules. Any time there's a full beach, migration occurs, no exceptions.

Hope that helps!

-Quixote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schultz
United States
Bear
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys...that will be very helpful in solving the dispute next time it comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Quixote171 wrote:
An island should never end or begin a turn with a full beach. It's my understanding that when/if a migration is bounced, when they get back to their original island they're redistributed per the rules. Any time there's a full beach, migration occurs, no exceptions.
This is true, but the situation described is still possible. For example, lets say you decide to expand on an island. In doing so, you cause two beaches to become full simultaneously. The rules then state you choose which beach to migrate first. If you choose one beach which eventually causes migration back to that island, you then have to distribute boats, but one of the beaches is still "full"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
was this resolved? can you point me to a post with info?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be reasonable to delay the 'bounce-back landfall' until any other full beaches migrated. The rules do say you get to choose which beach to 'migrate' first, but it seems a 'bounce-back' is not a 'true' migration if there is no 'foreign' landfall. I could see some tactical differences with one approach vs another, but a house rule would at least put everyone on equal footing.

still, word from the designer on this would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
it seems a 'bounce-back' is not a 'true' migration if there is no 'foreign' landfall.
I don't believe any such distinction is made in the rules. The active player decides the order of launch, and you have to keep launching until there is space on every beach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
you have to keep launching until there is space on every beach.

while I might play a game this way (distribute bounced-back boats last), is this in the rules?

It seems the scenario was just never dealt with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls