Moscow '41» Forums » General

Subject: Differences Leningrad '41 and Moscow '41 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I also posted this over at the Leningrad forums, but as the Moscow ones seem to get some more traffic, I thought I'd also post it here:

I'm somewhat in in two minds about whether or not I should get on board of the Leningrad '41 kickstarter. The map looks gorgeous, as do the components, I like the game engine, but at the same time, if it's basically Moscow '41 with a few rules slightly changed and a different map, then I'm not sure I need the game (I'm short of shelf space already! :D.

So in short, can anybody tell me what the differences are (game play wise and rule wise) between the two games?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course I don't know the exact rules of Leningrad '41 but I don't expect them to be much different from the Moscow '41 rules. The L'41 and M'41 seem to be(come) part of a series (I assume in time we will see a Kiev'41 game) and in my experience the rules of games in a series tend to be quite similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, that is a great question and I'm glad you asked.

Because I love the answer.

I had a LONG Skype call with Emmanuele this morning and this subject came up. I'm helping promote the game, but I have not played it myself.

But Emmanuele has played it and watched the playtesters go through many games. For his playtesters he has a nice mix-- veterans who played Moscow '41, and other games who have not played Moscow '41.

Along the way, he began to notice something. The "veteran" M-41 players were, at first, not "enjoying" Leningrad '41 as much as they had enjoyg M-41. They were frustrated. They thought there was something "wrong" with the game.

But the people who had not played Moscow '41 were not having the same sorts of problems and frustrations.

Of course, this drew his attention!

And, when he really got up close to the situation, he spotted what was happening.

The terrain, operational situation, and order of battle are very different in Leningrad '41 than they are in Moscow '41. Okay-- sure. What of it?

The "problem" that the veteran M-41 players were having was tied to the fact that they were trying to play Leningrad '41 the same way (meaning the same tactics and style) that they had used to be successful in Moscow '41. And it was not working. It turns out, they have to learn "new tactics" to be successful in L-41.

So to answer your question, there are not that many difference in RULES between Moscow '41 and Leningrad '41. You won't have to learn a whole new game to play. But there are significant differences in the SITUATION between the two games (even before you consider the differences that the Finns will make, both because they have slightly different army abilities, and because they force the Soviets to fight a "two-front" war).

So you will not feel like you are replaying Moscow '41 on a different map. In fact, trying to do that will be the wrong approach. The rules are similar, but the "puzzle" is very new.

Hope that helps. It certainly has me more excited.

I will cross post this in your other area, because I agree with you-- good question. Hope it's a good reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Hearn
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Lives matter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved M41...so of course I'm on board for this one too...any intention to link the two games together? That would be epic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david Gorman
Ireland
flag msg tools
just some ideas

you could play L41 first and use it to replace the road to leningrad track on m41 just note the time/turn if leningrad falls in L41 and apply it to the m41 track some issues would be both players knowing when it would fall while playing m41.

The only other problem i could see would be if L41 had similar tracks for cities on the m41 map.

but you could play both side by side doing 1 impulse on one then the other to stop knowing the time of Leningrad falling in m41 although unable to move units from 1 map to the other
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jack Hearn wrote:
I loved M41...so of course I'm on board for this one too...any intention to link the two games together? That would be epic.

I'm on board now! . Couldn't resist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Santandrea
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I love it when a plan comes together!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

and sorry for my late answer.

We are now shooting a video describing differencies and similarities between the two games.

I'm confident we can upload it Tomorrow.

As soon as it is online I will share the link.

Hope this helps.

emanuele
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Comben
United Kingdom
Tunbridge Wells
flag msg tools
Played my first game of M41 today superb game and I look forward to L41.
Buying in the U.K. Seems a challenge, would it only be available direct from Vento Nuovo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Labarque
Belgium
Kortrijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JComben wrote:
Played my first game of M41 today superb game and I look forward to L41.
Buying in the U.K. Seems a challenge, would it only be available direct from Vento Nuovo?

No, should be in the shops. Like the other Ventonuovo games are. But do consider joining the kickstarter, since that is directly supporting the developer. And that way you will also get the kickstarter extras.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually there are not that many shops that carry VNG games yet, although I know Emanuele would love to deal with shops.

You can tell your shop owner that you are interested in VNG games and have him contact the company.

But Filip is right-- it's good to support the kickstarter, get more goodies for yourself, and help the company make a better game that will be in shops later (there are still several Upgrades on the Stretch Goal list that I hope they achieve.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.