Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Wells
United States
Haverhill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three questions regarding when the Horcrux effects and the reward actions can be used:

1. The Diadem Horcrux says "At the start of each turn...lose 2 hearts". If a Dark Arts card has the Hero discard one of the 3 types of cards listed on the Horcrux card does the Horcrux effect no longer apply? In other words, even thought the Horcrux says "At the start of each turn" does the DA card still happen first in the turn?

2. Once a Horcrux is gained by a Hero, the Reward states "Once per turn...". Can this Reward action be done at ANY time in the turn? Example: the Hero has only one heart left before beginning turn; instead of simply losing cards when they get stunned, can they discard cards to get the Horcrux Rewards BEFORE turning the first DA card? What about in the middle of the action that causes a stun? Or before resolving the Villian actions?

3. When rolling die to destroy a Horcrux, if the result is not useful can it instead be used as a "regular" die roll and give the Heroes the resulting item?

My wife and I just finished 1-7. We pretty easily defeated all Villians in the first 6, but 7 was much more difficult. We got close, but the above questions arose making us wonder if we played it incorrectly.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brwells wrote:
1. The Diadem Horcrux says "At the start of each turn...lose 2 hearts". If a Dark Arts card has the Hero discard one of the 3 types of cards listed on the Horcrux card does the Horcrux effect no longer apply? In other words, even thought the Horcrux says "At the start of each turn" does the DA card still happen first in the turn?
I have been playing that the Horcrux effects happen before DA cards are flipped. I can't remember if this is just a decision I made or if Andrew clarified the timing rules elsewhere.

Quote:
2. Once a Horcrux is gained by a Hero, the Reward states "Once per turn...". Can this Reward action be done at ANY time in the turn?
Referring to your turn order card, I don't believe that the hero can take any actions until step 3. The only exception would be discard effects.

Quote:
3. When rolling die to destroy a Horcrux, if the result is not useful can it instead be used as a "regular" die roll and give the Heroes the resulting item?
Essentially yes. You do not "roll to destroy a Horcrux." You simply roll a die when a card tells you to. After the roll, you can choose apply the effect as normal or apply it to attacking a Horcrux.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Funk

Ohio
msg tools
davypi wrote:
[q="brwells"]

Quote:
Essentially yes. You do not "roll to destroy a Horcrux." You simply roll a die when a card tells you to. After the roll, you can choose apply the effect as normal or apply it to attacking a Horcrux.

Are you sure? We've definitely been playing that you are rolling to kill the horcrux (i know the instructions never use that term). So if you need a heart to destroy the 'crux, and you roll it just kill the 'crux and don't give everyone hearts. But if you rolled a bolt, disperse bolts to each character and leave the 'crux intact. I like it! Can anybody confirm this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougfunk wrote:
Are you sure? We've definitely been playing that you are rolling to kill the horcrux...

I would have swore Andrew clarified this somewhere, but I just reviewed the forums and can't find it. I might look at this again when I get home. Hopefully he will chime in at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wells
United States
Haverhill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
brwells wrote:
I have been playing that the Horcrux effects happen before DA cards are flipped. I can't remember if this is just a decision I made or if Andrew clarified the timing rules elsewhere.

I searched the entire forum and this issue was not brought up before. The instructions state that the Horcrux and Villian actions are resolved AFTER the DA cards. Hence my question...

Hopefully someone can resolve this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The game board layout strongly implies:

Dark Arts (# based on location)
Then Hoarcruxes
Then Villains
First Voldemort
Then Villains Left to Right

** With the caveat that Villains may boost/alter effects caused by other things that happen, such as Draco cackling at you as your Dark Arts Cards are "He who shall not be named."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kami Mandell
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hello, since Andrew is flying back from BGG con, I am jumping in to answer questions.

brwells wrote:
davypi wrote:
brwells wrote:

I searched the entire forum and this issue was not brought up before. The instructions state that the Horcrux and Villian actions are resolved AFTER the DA cards. Hence my question...

Hopefully someone can resolve this.

The Heroes cannot act until everything on the left hand side of the game board has been resolved. So even if a card says once per turn, it can only be used during Step 3, when the active Hero has a chance to respond.

byronczimmer wrote:

Then Horcruxes
Then Villains
First Voldemort

Yes, this is the correct order resolution.

Quote:
Quote:

Also, correct. You do not have to choose how to resolve the die roll until after you see what you rolled. Who knows, there may be a time when you want to leave a Horcrux out... I am not sure why, but you can.

Thanks,
Kami
USAopoly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skookyd wrote:
davypi wrote:
brwells wrote:

byronczimmer wrote:

Then Horcruxes
Then Villains
First Voldemort

Yes, this is the correct order resolution.

Going back to the OP though, the diadem has specific wording that says it happens "At the start of each turn." I think the issue being brought up is whether or not the diadem breaks the standard order of operations. This matters because cards in the DA deck could make you discard something that would then avoid the diadem's trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kami Mandell
United States
California
flag msg tools
Even for the diadem, you have until after the Dark Arts are resolved before checking the Horcruxes for their affect. So it is possible discard a card that will negate the effect of the Diadem. The wording "At the start of each turn..." it to remind the Heroes that if they draw extra cards they to not have to go back to the Horcrux and see if the effect applies.

And this is why I let Andrew answer all your questions!

Kami
USAopoly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wells
United States
Haverhill
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. We are happy to know we were playing all this situations "correctly" even if we were not certain at the time...

On to finally conquering Game 7!

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.