Hide
5 Posts

Coma Ward» Forums » General

Subject: Compared to Betrayal at House on the Hill rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Copy Imitator
msg tools
Goats are like mushrooms, if you shoot a duck I'm scared of toasters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the description it sounds like a retheme of BaHotH. This is not a bad thing, I love that game. But how does this game distinct itself from BaHotH?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lott
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Coma Ward is distinct from Betrayal in the way it interacts with players.
Betrayal has pre-made character archetypes and campy haunts for golden age horror fans.

Coma Ward places a greater emphasis on player choice and creativity while focusing on more psychological and cerebral phenomenon for silver and bronze age horror fans.

Players decide what their characters look like and how they act in Coma Ward. If you want to be the "dumb jock" or "playful little girl" you can. If you want to be something outside of traditional character tropes, you can do that to.

Coma Wards Hallucination cards focus on adding a "choose your own adventure" vibe that creates more opportunities for player agency.
The Phenomenon in Coma Ward don't require player separation. The game transitions fluidly with everyone getting their various pieces of secret information and player powers simultaneously and the new objectives coming out right at the table when the Phenomenon begins.

Coma Ward also plays to a more mature audience with themes of violence, sexuality, abuse, isolation, mental illness, and helplessness being explored seriously and thoroughly.

I hope this information helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
Goats are like mushrooms, if you shoot a duck I'm scared of toasters.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, thanks for the explanation. Sounds promising, I'll be sure to keep an eye on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Holden
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Additionally, the Events in Coma Ward have multiple instances, such that you can't memorize a particular setup. So, for example, there might be 4 events with the same setup, but different results based on your choices, so you can't just memorize, "when I choose this, I get stuff" like you might in a game like Dead of Winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Lott
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohaihai wrote:
Hi, thanks for the explanation. Sounds promising, I'll be sure to keep an eye on this.

My pleasure, thanks for asking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.