$5.00
$20.00
$30.00
$15.00
Marc Bowling
msg tools
I have been playing on easy to see if it really makes much difference in the arena of win/loss and to be honest, not really.

Anyhoo, playing s1 with Skids was interesting. I zoomed through the first 2 acts, absolutely destroying everything without a problem.

Ol ghoul priest pops up and absolutely destroys me. Bah! I always forget I could just resign.

With only 1 core it seems Skids might be the best solo... but I also had good success with Agnes. I know people say Wendy is the best but I can not seem to get her to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmb
I played solo with Wendy and I just can't figure out how to kill stuff.

I understand that she is not supposed to kill things but I feel like all the enemies will just build up and bog her down eventually. I did win scenario 1 with her handily, but after playing I felt like
Spoiler (click to reveal)
the Ghoul Priest coming back
was a an indicator of how the rest of the scenarios would go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can explain how I played Wendy solo.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Wendy can kill things just fine. Lita + Baseball Bat means she has 4 combat and she does 3 damage. Hold onto Unexpected Courage and Overpower for the big battles. Also lucky and her investigator ability helps mitigate luck. Get Hard Knocks and Burglary out to pump combat as well is not unreasonable. Holding onto Backstab and Sneak Attack for big enemies also is also a reasonable play. Purchasing things like Close Call can also give you more options against enemies. The vast majority of times enemies are not hunters and you don't need to backtrack to old locations once you are done investigating. You can just evade and leave the enemies there. Scenario 1 I found easy for her. Scenario 2 is tough, but scenario two is tough for everyone solo except maybe Roland, and even he is gonna have some trouble with the Graveyard and Gaunts carrying him to central locations. Though you always have the option to resign right from the beginning and resigning is not a bad play in that scenario. Therefore you can just pull the plug and run away as soon as it looks like you are doing to die or lose due to the Agenda deck. Scenario 3 I think you need to have Lita with you for Wendy to have an easy time of it. She's not going to do enough damage fast for the last battle, and she's not a super investigator so she probably won't be able to swing the investigation ending. That said I've attempted the third scenario the least frequently so maybe there is a more consistent way to tool her deck for that scenario. I do feel like going through the campaign with a deck building plan for scenario three is a powerful way to play. It is really where things get real.

Skids is amazing BTW. Having the freedom to fight or evade means he's a great tanks for enemies. Also he has reasonable intelligence so with a flashlight he can do some heavy lifting. He has such flexibility with his action advantage. Having access to his investigator ability and Leo and Police Badge is great. Being able to do 7 actions before the scenario can react is really powerful. His Willpower is just really weak and that comes up a lot on the encounter deck. Some of the worst stuff the scenario throws at you triggers off a Willpower check. At least he has 6 Sanity. Roland's 5 Sanity is such a handicap considering all the ways you can lose Sanity in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bowling
msg tools
I am assuming that like LoTR the core set is just tough as nails given a limited card pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Yellow Meeple wrote:
I am assuming that like LoTR the core set is just tough as nails given a limited card pool.

It is. There was tons of gnashing teeth the year it came out (especially from people who tried playing mono-Tactics solo through the starting adventures, which is...not an optimal choice).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.