Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: First game purchase - need some advice for some specific requirements. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Onur Oztuncer
Turkey
Ankara
flag msg tools
Hello,

First post in the forums! I am 37 and somehow I didn't purchase a board game other than monopoly, risk, taboo etc. before and this year I will finally buy 1 game (only one . I am in Turkey and will probably buy from amazon and shipped it here.

We are engineers and want something to challenge us (we actually prefer complex games), make us think about our evil plans or something that needs a strategic view, and most importantly not heavily depend on dice/card/luck. I like playing with cards and dices, but not want them to shape the game entirely. We also prefer not to cooperate over one goal (or we can have at most two teams competing).

We want something in the range of 2-4 persons (5 max - 2 in general). I also don't have sufficient knowledge to eliminate some games but the subject is also important. We like economics, war, science-fiction, resource allocating!

If you can post some recommendations I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ooztuncer wrote:
We are engineers and want something to challenge us (we actually prefer complex games), make us think about our evil plans or something that needs a strategic view, and most importantly not heavily depend on dice/card/luck.

It sounds like you want medium-heavy euros. Rather than suggesting a specific game, may I suggest looking at designers so you can select a theme that appeals to you.

There are a quite a few well loved designers in this category - here's a few:
- Uwe Rosenberg
- Stefan Feld
- Vital Lacerda
- Jamey Stegmaier

Since this is your first game, I suspect a lot of people will suggest gateway games. Being an engineer myself, if I had started with gateway games I suspect I would have been turned off the hobby. You can look at the game 'weight' on the BGG game page to see how complex the community believes a game is (1-5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower

Plays 2-5 well. Built around resource allocation. Highly interactive with the auctions and blocking of tiles placed within the community pool and personal pool. It it tile based so no cards or dice, but there is some randomness in what tiles get offered in the auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (AFK/Away)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankOnur

What have you played so far? Can you give an example of a complex game you enjoy?

You might also want to list and rate your collection

A love it or hate it - heavy economic game dressed up as a war game (best with 4):
Imperial or Imperial 2030
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Liles
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Call me Tommy
badge
Check out my gaming blog! www.wewereplayingitwrong.com
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Nations: Seats five, serious civ-builder, longish, complex game. Engaging 2 player.
2. Race for the Galaxy: Seats four base, expandable. Sci fi. Card driven play gives a shallow first impression but gives way to an amazing deep game with fantastic 2 player. Plays in about half an hour but replay value very high.
3. Istanbul: Seats up to five, economic pick up and deliver. Has some random component but probably the least "lucky" of the games listed here. Supports two player, but I've not played two player so I don't know how good it is. Lightest game of the three, but still medium weight. Winner of Kennerspiel des jahres (game collector award). Also, obviously, set in Turkey which might be appealing to you and your friends.

I'd recommend any of these without reservation. Based on what you've written I would go for Race but I think you'd enjoy all of these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Scythe fits your requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"et son bucher se change en trone dans les cieux."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Imperial 2030
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ooztuncer wrote:

We want something in the range of 2-4 persons (5 max - 2 in general).

Hi!
First of all, I want to highlight this requirement, because it seems it got overlooked easily. Power Grid and Imperial (2030) sure are great games, but sure not for 2 players.

I would like to recommend an old classic: Puerto Rico, which originally wasn't designed for 2 players, but meanwhile has very good working 2-player-rules included in the rulebook. But this is pure economic and does not allow for "evil plans". :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
It sounds like you want medium-heavy euros. Rather than suggesting a specific game, may I suggest looking at designers so you can select a theme that appeals to you.

There are a quite a few well loved designers in this category - here's a few:
- Uwe Rosenberg
- Stefan Feld
- Vital Lacerda
- Jamey Stegmaier

Since this is your first game, I suspect a lot of people will suggest gateway games. Being an engineer myself, if I had started with gateway games I suspect I would have been turned off the hobby. You can look at the game 'weight' on the BGG game page to see how complex the community believes a game is (1-5).

Great post (though I probably wouldn't put most of Stegmaier's games in the same category as those of the other designers you mentioned). Another option is to check out a publisher that is known for its medium to heavy euro games...namely What's Your Game?.

Some specific titles to consider by these designers/publisher would be:

Glass Road - (Uwe Rosenberg) this has a really fascinating resource wheel system that I think any engineering mind would enjoy. Efficiency is also hugely important since the game is so quick. It is on the lighter side but still has some tough choices.

Trajan - (Stefan Feld) the way the actions are chosen by a mancala mechanism is really intriguing. To succeed, you really need to plan your actions very well.

The Gallerist - (Vital Lacerda) this is the heaviest of these suggestions and can be a bit overwhelming for the first play (but does get smoother with multiple plays). It is really amazing how interactive it is without being destruction/negatively oriented. One of just three games that I consider a perfect 10.

ZhanGuo - (What's Your Game?) this is a game with relatively simple rules and incredibly tough choices. You are given a bunch of goals to aim for at the start of the game, and it's unlikely that anyone can achieve all of them. The challenge is in how to use your limited actions to build an efficient bonus engine while still keeping enough actions in order to actually execute your plans. Another of my three 10s (and my personal favorite).

Finally, I would also suggest Mombasa as one of the most intriguing games in this class from the past couple of years. The planning required is substantial, and the interaction is intriguing in the way that each player has stocks in several companies (none of which are owned by any one player). My only other 10 at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onur Oztuncer
Turkey
Ankara
flag msg tools
Hello again.

Thank you very much for your responses. It will take me a day just to look at some recommendations.

By the way, I personally didnt play any board games except risk and monopoly. But I like some pc games like civilization, heroes, ufo and counter strike

Best,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ooztuncer wrote:
By the way, I personally didnt play any board games except risk and monopoly.

Maybe you should also take a look at Small World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ooztuncer wrote:
Hello again.

Thank you very much for your responses. It will take me a day just to look at some recommendations.

By the way, I personally didnt play any board games except risk and monopoly. But I like some pc games like civilization, heroes, ufo and counter strike

Best,

If you like the Civilization video games, you like war and economic themes, you like complex games with long-term strategy, then might I suggest Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game (be careful not to confuse it with the inferior 2002 game of the same name: Sid Meier's Civilization: The Boardgame). It supports 4 players out of the box and can go to 5 with the Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game – Fame and Fortune expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caden Laptad
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
Honestly, I would second the recommendations for Power Grid and Key flower, as they are incredibly well-designed, interesting, and mathematically sound games. I especially LOVE Power Grid and find it to be excellent at all player counts (3-6). To play it 2 player, though, you'll need the Robots expansion which mixes things up and makes the auctions and board play tighter and more interesting.
Key flower is superb from 2-5, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Power Grid is just fantastic, but I agree that for 2p you need Robots. The Castles of Burgundy, on the other hand, is great with 2p but I don't really love it with 4p and it doesnt play 5.

But Roll for the Galaxy is good at all play counts, IMO. Dice are used, but there is a lot of luck mitigation. Also it rocks. But the dice might turn you off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the suggestion for Glass Road. What a great game.
Terra Mystica - a simply fantastic game.
Dominant Species - not everyone's cup of tea, but those who like this game love it.
Tash-Kalar: Arena of Legends - an abstract that reminds me slightly of chess, but with varying armies, and a lot more flexibility.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincennes Faronto
Indonesia
palembang
flag msg tools
go for Istanbul, you are in Turkey i bet it would be interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister P
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cry Havoc(k?)

It's meant to be pretty good and its brand new too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onur Oztuncer
Turkey
Ankara
flag msg tools
Hello again,

I have read and then watched some videos regarding the recommendations in this thread. Thanks again for all of them.

I am in between scythe and terra mystica - will decide soon (wanted to let you know)!

Best,

Edit: which one would be more enjoyable with 2 or 3 people if we can't be 4 or 5 on the table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berger
United States
Wadsworth
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Scythe, as nothing about it appeals to me, but Terra Mystica is one of my top 2 games (along with Concordia, which should also be mentioned). TM is simply amazing and somehow underrated even though it sits in the top 5. In my humble opinion, of course. Either way, have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Barton
England
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ooztuncer wrote:
We are engineers and want something to challenge us (we actually prefer complex games), make us think about our evil plans or something that needs a strategic view, and most importantly not heavily depend on dice/card/luck...We also prefer not to cooperate over one goal...We want something in the range of 2-4 persons...the subject is also important. We like economics, war, science-fiction, resource allocating!

From your original post, I'd suggest one of the COIN series of games.

Cuba Libre is a good place to start, Andean Abyss is the first in the series, but is slightly more complex than Cuba Libre.

Good luck, and welcome to the world of designer board games!

JB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
ooztuncer wrote:

I am in between scythe and terra mystica - will decide soon (wanted to let you know)!

I'd go for Terra Mystica. I think as engineers you all will get a lot of enjoyment out of the strategy and different races. With that being said, Engineers may also enjoy the theme of Mechs in a post apocalyptic world (I'm generalizing as I've never played Scythe), so ultimately you can't go wrong. Whichever you don't get this time, you could get as your second game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onur Oztuncer
Turkey
Ankara
flag msg tools
a quick update: yesterday I bought twilight struggle (PC version for 3 bucks! from steam sale) and played one hand. what a great game it is ))

does schyte or terra mystica resembles twilight struggle or they are completely different?

best,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me Twilight Struggle feels quite different from Scythe and Terra Mystica.

In Twilight Struggle you are trying to simply outwit a single opponent, its very confrontational.

The other two also have an aspect of building up your own area/civilization, which is absent from Twilight Struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.