Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got some geeky questions for a scenerio in an RPG. I might be playing in a D&D game where the pretense of my character is that I'm going from our modern world into a fantasy D&D world. I'd have just a little time to prepare, perhaps a couple of days, and I'd have only a couple of thosand dollars to spend to prepare for what is a one way trip.

What kinds of guns could I realistically get in that short time frame? The character wouldn't have any training in firearms. What should an untrained person get in this situation?

How much ammo could I realistically carry? The character would have a modern day load distributing back pack, so they'd be able to carry 60-80 lbs without it being too much of a burden. Obviously not all of that is going to be ammo, but other essential survival gear. I won't need to worry about food and water.

The important thing is that I won't be able to trick myself out with any conceivable gear, but rather what I could grab in just a couple of days at the local gun store, walmart, etc. Load up the pack and be off to slay monsters and save damsels in distress.

Just off the top of my head I'd assume to get a pistol, probably a revolver as I'd assume it's easier to maintain, along with several boxes of bullets. A shotgun, once again, with as many boxes of shells as I could realistically carry. It would be great to have a rifle, but I suspect with no training it would end up being more of a burden than anything else. In terms of rounds of ammunition, how much would this come out to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion for a Revolver based on my personal research

.357 Magnum because it is capable of chambering .38 Special as well as .357 rounds. Both very common rounds, thus buying (or in a modern fantasy / post-apocolyptic game setting, foraging for) ammo is easier.

I can't research rounds per box etc. and post more at the moment since I am blocked from any gun or ammo related website from work.

But I can come here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
.357 revolver w/200 rounds
.22 cal auto (walther ppk) w/500 rounds
.22 cal semi-auto rifle (remington)
12 gauge riot gun w/100 rounds

Using straps for the rifle & shotgun along with a holster for the .357 you ought to not be overly burdened. The Walther will fit in a pocket. A hunter's vest will house up to 50 shotgun shells and the rest of the ammo ought to weigh maybe 15 pounds, not much of a burden in your backpack.

A 6 year old can easily figure out the .22 rifle and pistol as well as the shotgun. If your character is unusually dense then most Walmart employees will be capable of showing him how to load a magazine and clip.

Koldie is right, make sure your guy starts from a state like Idaho where you can pick most of this stuff up at Walmart or a gun shop with no wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I believe the Ruger that Scrib references can only be re-loaded one chamber at a time. Smith and Wesson, and other companies, have the swing out cylinder for quicker loading.

All modern revolvers that I know of including the Ruger I want have swing out cylinders unless they are recreations of cowboy models.

The revolver I want( Ruger SP101) has a 2" barrell for concealed carry. If I were your character I'd carry a longer barrelled model, 4" or 6" Ruger GP100.

The thingies Koldfoot refers to are called Speed Loaders. I've had a couple. No matter how much one practices with them, sliding a new magazine in a semi-auto is a lot faster.

Check out the Ruger and Smith & Wesson websites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you take a shotgun. You're going to be in a strange, fantasy land, handling firearms for the first time. Your DM may (should) hit you with pretty harsh to-hit penalties based on the fact that you attempting to shoot something that is so far out of your realm of what is "normal," using weapons you are unfamiliar with. Shotguns are more forgiving when it comes to hitting your target, and can still be loaded with slugs for large game.

Taking a nice modern bow might pay off as well. You're unlikely to find someone able to re-load your shells, but arrows are a dime (well, GP) a dozen in most fantasy realms. At the very least, you can sell/give the bow to a friendly NPC ranger in your party, and he'd know what to do with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any fan of Bruce Campbell knows how valid that shotgun suggestion was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

How about elephant guns? Are they considered a rifle or a shotgun? I'm thinking of what Michael Gross' character was using in the movie Tremors.
It seems like a simple enough gun to use when the dragon or giant shows up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes, the bullet making presses. I've seen these used on TV before. How complicated is it to make new bullets? Inevitably the character would want to make silver, cold iron and adamantium bullets in the D&D setting to bypass protections of certain creatures. Can I twist open a bullet from its cartridge, have a new bullet forged and then press the new bullet back into the cartridge without too much fuss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
Oh yes, the bullet making presses. I've seen these used on TV before. How complicated is it to make new bullets? Inevitably the character would want to make silver, cold iron and adamantium bullets in the D&D setting to bypass protections of certain creatures. Can I twist open a bullet from its cartridge, have a new bullet forged and then press the new bullet back into the cartridge without too much fuss?

The casting of new bullets from whatever material you wish would require at minimum a mold of the caliber you want (about the size of large pair of pliers) and a small casting pot made of a material that will not melt before the material you are casting with (I don't know the melting point of adamantium, your pot may need to be made of superduperium).

Though I don't think they still do the Lee company used to make a press that could be worked by hand (did not require bench mounting, small and portable), have your character pick one up at a garage sale. The press will require a die for each different caliber you load.

Yes, it is possible to pull one bullet and replace it with another by using a kinetic bullet puller (looks like a plastic hammer).

Take all the shotshells you need because lugging the crap required for reloading shotshells would be unrealistic even given the story base.

Best of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your character is going to handload, he'll need to carry a supply of gun powder and primers as well as as the bullet molding tools, a book about handloading AND he'll have to save his spent brass cartridges.

If you are the DM, you might note whether the player says he is doing that. If he does handload and he is a firearm novice, there may be a high chance of misfires or duds.

I suppose he might learn to make gunpowder but it won't be the quality he could buy. And if he is going to buy and carry that all that stuff, why not buy more bullets / shells.

He ought to take a professional knife or TWO. I'm not a knife guy.

Kinetic Bullet Puller link

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/productdetail.aspx?p...

Sidebar about large animal killed with a pistol.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070525/ap_on_fe_st/monster_pig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, what the heck, I guess I'll chime in here too.

FWIW.....

For light weight/maximum ammo, I'd say a semi-auto rifle with .223 or .22 Magnum. For added convenience, they (S&W)make a revolver in .22 Mag - it's an 8-shot IIRC.

For maximum firepower, one of the big bore rifles, such as .458 Mag., .460 Wetherby, etc..., or even a .50BMG like the Barrett Mk 82.

For maximum flexibility, a 12g shotgun with both 00 shot, and rifled slugs.

For a weight compromise, a .410 shotgun, with both shot and slugs.

For revolvers, a .357 magnum. For auto pistols (IMO), a .357 Sig, which is actually a .355 bullet mated to a 10mm case, which has been bottlenecked down to the bullet. (basically, a souped-up 9mm.)

And yes, forget the reloading gear. It's bulky, and takes a lot of time, and precision. Of course, you could go the black powder muzzle loader route.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
bismarck1871 wrote:
The casting of new bullets from whatever material you wish would require at minimum a mold of the caliber you want (about the size of large pair of pliers) and a small casting pot made of a material that will not melt before the material you are casting with (I don't know the melting point of adamantium, your pot may need to be made of superduperium).

Superduperium? In these parts, that is referred to as unobtainium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you playing in such a hyperrealistic game that the make, model, and caliber of hand guns and ammo makes a difference? If so, then the most important thing you're missing is a weapon cleaning kit. The potential penalties from improper maintenance could greatly outweigh those from non-proficiency.

Speaking of proficiency, I'd make the argument that if you have enough time to buy all these weapons, you have enough time to gain proficiency with them too. Just spend a few days at the range. It's not that hard to learn how to shoot straight, which is why firearms are so widespread. I would think proficiency would also encompass proper maintenance and boresighting the weapon. If at all possible, you want to gain proficiency when you have access to an unlimited supply of ammo, instead of when every shot counts.

I'd also suggest loading up on small, light modern items that will be more than worth their weight in gold where you're going. Matches and lighters, ziploc bags, antibacterial cream, razor blades, etc. In a world that doesn't have capability to manufacture these sorts of items, you can potentially make a small fortune selling what you carry on your back.

Avoid electronics - batteries are heavy. Although an LED headlamp might be worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we sure the young Gent in question is asking is RPG related?...or is he fishing for what firearms would do best at School?

Hey , I live in Texas. I check the shooting bodycount daily!

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen
United States
Ferndale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Troymk1 wrote:
Are we sure the young Gent in question is asking is RPG related?...or is he fishing for what firearms would do best at School?

Hey , I live in Texas. I check the shooting bodycount daily!

shake

I'd rather know what would be best for when the cops show up and try to stop you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice would be to avoid crappy D&D games with lame schoolboy fantasy scenarios like this and play a decent rpg instead. And don't listen to these boneheads who tell you to load up on guns and fill your packs with ammo. You might be able to walk from your truck to your tree-stand like that, but it ain't no way to spend any decent amount of time, two long guns strapped over your back, pockets bulging with ammo - you'd look like a 1st level adventurer. heh, don't forget your 50' of silk rope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen
United States
Ferndale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
disclamer wrote:
My advice would be to avoid crappy D&D games with lame schoolboy fantasy scenarios like this and play a decent rpg instead. And don't listen to these boneheads who tell you to load up on guns and fill your packs with ammo. You might be able to walk from your truck to your tree-stand like that, but it ain't no way to spend any decent amount of time, two long guns strapped over your back, pockets bulging with ammo - you'd look like a 1st level adventurer. heh, don't forget your 50' of silk rope.

Personally, I'd recommend Deadlands: Reloaded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.