Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Spyfall» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant: Only 9 locations (and putting a card of each location on the table). rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intro:

It has been said a lot that it's difficult to remember/learn all the locations, and that the spy gives himself away when he looks at the booklet.

Here's what I do with new players, and what I've found succesful. I also believe that this may work for experienced players: but it may change what type of questions the good guys will ask.

Rules

Before the game starts, draw 9 bags (or 16, or any number you feel is best). Place a single location card from each bag in the middle of the table, visible for everyone.

Now draw a random bag from those bags, and give each player a card from that bag, as usual.

Play the game as usual, and I like to swap out the single "used" location card each round for a random new one. I also think roles are an important part of the game, and shouldn't be ignored.

Thoughts

This variant does different things:

- obviously, you can only play with 7 instead of 8.

- remembering the locations isn't necessary

- non-spies should be more ambigious in order to hide their location
- since giving away their location is a real risk, non-spies should be looking at the possible locations
- the spy can get in on "artwork" questions and jokes, so the infamous "artwork" strategy isn't a problem anymore.

- the "feel" of the game may slightly change, since the balance "hiding/finding" changes for both teams. The good guys have to do a lot more hiding now, since finding out the location becomes a lot easier for the spy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this! I feel like this is the missing link to make this game more enjoyable for all involved, experienced and new players alike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played tho game for the first time last night. After a few rounds all of us felt the needing to know the locations hurt the game - and we brain stormed this exact same idea. Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.