Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
paul downing
United States
lake orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
Okay,

It's been about a million years since my wife or I have played risk, so we can't easily use that as a point of reference.

I find the RISK - LOTR TE rules very hard to follow. They jump back and forth, like a drunk friend trying to explain how to play the game, forgetting parts, and then remembering them 10 minutes later.

Any help much appreciated.

Sorry for spelling and long rambling.........

#1. Is there an expanded detailed rule set somewhere ?

A few questions for clarification.

#2. No. of moves to and from where ?

On page 11. ....you can even attack more than one territory on your turn.
On page 12. ....you can invade from any ONE territory you control to an adjacent enemy territory.....
On page 12. ....you can change the territory from which you are invading....

These seem to conflict somewhat or at least call out for interpretation.

Senario...

T1 invades and wins T2

2a. Can T1 then invade T3 ? (assume contiguos to T1)
2b. Can T2 then invade T3 ? (assume contiguos to T2)
2c. Can T7 then invade T8 ? (another region of board)

T1 trys to invade T2 and looses

2d. Can I try again to hit T2 from another contiguous T?

#3. Can I call off an invasion, and start attacking somewhere else on the board while it is still my turn ?

#4. How many invasions in a row can I attempt ?

LEADER MOVEMENT.

#5. When can I move my leaders outside of battle ?

5a. Can I just pick up a leader and move it anywhere on the board, or do I need to follow contiguous freindly T's to get to where I want ?

MISSION CARDS

6a. When do I play mission cards (Start or end of turn) ?

6b. Can I play more than one mission card, or only mission cards with leaders involved in the current battle ?

6c. Can Mission cards be re-used, or do they expire forever ?

TERRITORY CARDS

7a. Can I keep as many in my hand as I want and cash them in at will. Page 15 talks about eliminiating a player and if you have more than 5 cards you must "cash them in", does this 5 rule always hold true ?

RING MOVEMENT

I saw another post, I think on this forum, but maybe not, where the person was stating the new rules were too simplified and no-one would ever try to run the board because the ring had to be moved after each invasion. I assume that is incorrect. It looks like this is the last step of a turn, not an invasion.

#8. Assuming I can can invade til the cows come home, I assume I only move the ring one time. Is this correct ?

STEPS

1. Reinforce
2. Combat
3. Fortify
4. Collect Territory
5. Collect Adventure (if appropriate)
6. Replace a Leader
7. Move the Fellowship.

I assume it might be more accurate as this.

1. Reinforce
1a. Add to StrongHolds
1b. "Cash in" Territory Matches
1c. Add # of Terr. / 3
1d. Add 1 for each Region Held

2. Combat (Invade a territory)
2a. Battle
2b. Repeat 2a as desired (or win T)
2c. (if win) Reinforce from T1... T2 as many as you want
2d. Repeat Step 2 for new territories

3. Fortify
3a. From any one territory to as many contigious territories as desired.

4. Collect Territory Card

6. Replace a Leader

7. Move the Fellowship.

Again, stuck on where "Play Mission Card"
and where "Move Leader" and where "Play Adventure Card" fits in the above steps.

LAST ONE - DEALING OUT CARDS

#9 Why am I placing these cards face down ? (page 8). I assume the person receiving the cards can read them, but for strategic reasons you might not want to play open hand. It's not like I leave them face down until a certain time in the game is it ?

THANKS AGAIN.

I'm certain I am just overthinking this, I have the same problems with my tax returns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Morgan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Help Rules - I'm a moron ................
paulwdowning (#24870),
Wow those are alot of questions
laugh
I'll see if I can help.
#1 No there isn't an expanded rule set somewhere. Thats why you can ask your questions here.

#2a Yes as long as T1 has the minimal amount of armies to attack(2)
#2b Yes with the same criteria as above
#2c Yes
#2d Yes

#3 Yes
#4 As many as you like as long as the territory you are attacking with has the minimal amount of men to attack with(2) Therefore any territory with only 1 man or 1 man and a General cannot be used to attack from. It may only defend
#5 You move your leader during the fortify phase. You can only do ONE fortification per turn though(Unless you get the 3 additional fortification card) You can move men, a leader,or men and a leader from the same territory to ONE of your other territories. Your territories don't have to be adjacent but they do have to be connected. Also you can't move men and a leader from T1 to T5 and drop a few men at T2,T3,T4 along the way
Mission cards
#6a You play mission cards as soon as you complete them. If during the combat phase you take over a territory with your leader that has the mission card you have you get the spoils or whatever the card says you get. Usually additional armies awarded. If you already control the territory with mission card then during the fortify phase you can(if you choose to,but you would anyways) move your leader to that territory and claim the reward of the card.
#6b You can complete as many mission cards on your turn as long as you follow the criteria for completing missions. That is you take over the territory with a leader.
#6c No,once a mission is completed you keep it and collect the points for it at the end of the game. Its not reused ever.
#7a If at the start of your hand you have 5 cards you MUST take a trade in. If you eliminate a player you get his cards. If the total amount of cards is 5 or more then you can take the tradein,place the armies, and keep attacking.
#8 Each player moves the ring ONE space per turn. Unless a die roll ir required,or a card preventing ring movement is played by you or another player

Game Steps
You have a few mistakes which I will correct.
1Reinforce
1a. Add 1 army to each StrongHold
1b. "Cash in" Territory Matches if you have a set
1c. Add # of Terr. / 3
1d. Add the army amount for each region bonus. For instance controlling all of Mordor gets you 2 additional armies. Gondor gets you 7. The amount given is on the left side of the board.
2. Combat (Invade a territory)
2a. Battle
2b. Repeat 2a as desired (or win T)
2c. (if win) You must reinforce the new territory taken with armies from where you attacked from. Also you must move in as many armies as attack dice you rolled. Eg. If you attacked and won with 3 dice you move in 3 armies minimum.
2d. Repeat Step 2 for new territories
3. Fortify
3a. From any one territory to as many contigious territories as desired.
I explained it in more detail above

4. Collect Territory Card

6. Replace a Leader(only if you have no leaders on the board) You may place him in any of your territories.

7. Move the Fellowship.
LAST ONE - DEALING OUT CARDS
9.Each player should keep there cards face down. You don't want people to know what adventure cards you have. Some cards provide a bonus for attacking/defending. You don't want people to know what territories have you missions etc.

Phew that was long! Feel free to Paypal me some cash for my time..LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew higdon
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
paulwdowning (#24870),

Dude, it's a rulebook. Read it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul downing
United States
lake orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
Bighab (#24942),

James,

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

We'll try it again correctly tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul downing
United States
lake orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
ahigdon (#24962),

Andrew,

Bite me ! And please find a better hobby than antagonizing people seeking assistance. You give forums like this a bad rap.

You can tell by my reference of all the page numbers that I have read it. I just did not understand it.

Given the number of similar quesitons on this and other forums, I can't be the only one confused by the rules.

I read it about 10 time, it's the most poorly written rulebook I have read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Morgan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paulwdowning (#24969),
No prob. Post here if you have any more questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanrahan Highland
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Bighab (#24942) said:

#6b You can complete as many mission cards on your turn as long as you follow the criteria for completing missions. That is you take over the territory with a leader.

I don't think this is true, in the European rules at least. I'm pretty sure they state that your leader has to remain in the relevant territory in order to complete a mission. (Or else move back there at the end of the turn.) This means that you can only complete one mission per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Elliott
United States
Unspecified
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
hanhighland wrote:

I don't think this is true, in the European rules at least. I'm pretty sure they state that your leader has to remain in the relevant territory in order to complete a mission. (Or else move back there at the end of the turn.) This means that you can only complete one mission per turn.

This has changed in the Trilogy Edition Rules. The US edition released in 2002 also had the requirement to remain in the relevant territory, but the Trilogy Edition rules do not place this restricition on your leader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Traci A.
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Wow! I was over here pulling my hair out with the exact same questions! We were playing really wrong...moving battalions through all adjacent territories and such. Thank you so much for answering these questions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.