Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: 1st ed minis frequency of use rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

With 2nd edition release I was finally able to force myself to start painting all the minis from all previous releases and expansions.

Now I have a ton of paint work ahead of me and I've sworn myself I won't play the game with unpainted minis. On the other side I don't want to wait 3 months before I'll be able to play, so I've figured I could prioritise which of them I should paint first. But then again I don't know which minis get a playtime in which scenarios.

Let's assume that I have all previous edition content and I want to play first two (difficulty wise) scenarios of 2nd edition. It's pretty obvious for me that I have to paint all the investigators and all 2nd ed minis, but how often minis From 1st ed are being used in those scenarios? Can I just pass on Call of the Wild and Forbidden Alchemy ones?

Please no spoilers, just general answers; example: "you should paint all 1st ed minis"; "you don't have to paint any of Call of the wild minis" etc.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the "my collection" section of the app you could just turn off the 1st edition and call of the wild settings, then the missions will only use the 2nd edition minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might consider that, but then again, I want the fullest experience. I'm not sure how much would lose if I'd do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stszau wrote:
I might consider that, but then again, I want the fullest experience. I'm not sure how much would lose if I'd do that.

Some minor map variation between plays is all that you would lose (plus a smaller monster selection, but that is what you are trying to achieve).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
stszau wrote:

Some minor map variation between plays is all that you would lose (plus a smaller monster selection, but that is what you are trying to achieve).

And a smaller pool of investigators to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
stszau wrote:

And a smaller pool of investigators to choose from.

Right, forgot about that blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I saw any of the 1st edition monsters show up in Rising Tide (second by difficulty) or Escape from Innsmouth (second by app order). Cycle of Eternity uses a wide variety of monsters: I don't think it's quite all of them, but I can't say for sure which ones won't turn up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Beeson

West Virginia
msg tools
Its the sky writers' code!
badge
I am so sick of that damn code!
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
I don't think I saw any of the 1st edition monsters show up in Rising Tide (second by difficulty) or Escape from Innsmouth (second by app order). Cycle of Eternity uses a wide variety of monsters: I don't think it's quite all of them, but I can't say for sure which ones won't turn up.

In my experience playing "Escape from Innsmouth" the maniac shows up quite often. I have also seen the Mi-go in "Rising Tide"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek W.
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Zombies and Goat Spawn showed up in my Shattered Bonds game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rindfleisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had Dark Druids and Witches show up in Cycle of Eternity, and a Child of the Goat in Escape from Innsmouth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
If you pick investigators in advance you only need to paint those ones.

Fairly sure the Dunwich Horror doesn't show up except in the Dunwich scenario. Not seen the cult leader show up as there's a more appropriate but similar figure in 2E.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the anwsers. It really helps. One more question. Both, 1ed and 2ed core sets include 6 cultists each. Would I ever use more than 6 cultists at once, or I'm good if I just paint 6 of them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Inmat4251 wrote:
I had Dark Druids and Witches show up in Cycle of Eternity, and a Child of the Goat in Escape from Innsmouth.

Also if that is true I don't like the fact that designers are mixing Lovercraftian themes like that. Escape from Innsmouth seems to be Cthulhu theme, Shub-Niggurath theme should not be there. It feels like forced and cheap way to reuse 1ed minis. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
stszau wrote:
Thanks for all the anwsers. It really helps. One more question. Both, 1ed and 2ed core sets include 6 cultists each. Would I ever use more than 6 cultists at once, or I'm good if I just paint 6 of them?

They didn't include cultist tokens in the conversion kit, so you only need 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guurzak wrote:
stszau wrote:

They didn't include cultist tokens in the conversion kit, so you only need 6.

Perfect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.