Subject: What to do with the box... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the years I have bought many expansions for my games and more often then not the art work on the expansion boxes are beautiful but all of the content (for me anyways) usually ends up fitting in the core box and I have no need it seems for the expansion boxes. I keep them all in a closet because it feels a shame to just throw them away. My question to the BGG community is what do you do with your expansion boxes then all of the expansion content fits into the core box? Is there some creative/crafty ideas that I could be using these boxes for?

I feel I should say that this post is brought on by my pre order of Scythe: Invaders from Afar expansion coming soon and with the art work for this box especially I want to do something more than just put it in a closest unnoticed.

Any and all ideas are welcome so lets let the creativity flow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use it as storage for my PnP games

Also I sometimes store other games in boxes of expansions because they fit much better. Flash point doesn't fit in the main box with 2 expansions, so I use the Keltis box and put Keltis in another box. Then my GF makes some nice art on a a4 paper which I paste on the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
All of my expansion boxes are in a box in my attic. I won't throw them out in case I want to sell them. I am considering decorating my game room walls with board game stuff, so I might bring them down on day... but for now they're staying up there, out of my way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dejunking wrote:
I keep them all in a closet because it feels a shame to just throw them away. My question to the BGG community is what do you do with your expansion boxes then all of the expansion content fits into the core box?

I keep them all in a closet because it feels a shame to just throw them away. (But I use some to store prototype materials and miniatures.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to keep them all in the closet, but then recently went through and threw away most of them. I still have a couple in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dejunking wrote:
Over the years I have bought many expansions for my games and more often then not the art work on the expansion boxes are beautiful but all of the content (for me anyways) usually ends up fitting in the core box and I have no need it seems for the expansion boxes. I keep them all in a closet because it feels a shame to just throw them away. My question to the BGG community is what do you do with your expansion boxes then all of the expansion content fits into the core box? Is there some creative/crafty ideas that I could be using these boxes for?

I feel I should say that this post is brought on by my pre order of Scythe: Invaders from Afar expansion coming soon and with the art work for this box especially I want to do something more than just put it in a closest unnoticed.

Any and all ideas are welcome so lets let the creativity flow...

I don't have many.. I had a bunch for the Alien Frontiers Kickstarter expansions, but regretfully threw them away.. I've toyed with the idea of taking future boxes, cutting off the covers, then matting and framing them to hang in my office. I'd be willing to take some off your hands for that purpose, if you have too many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also used to keep them. Now I don't even think about it. They are immediately tossed. I was also concerned that not having the box would hurt resale. Doesn't appear to be the case. At least in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too

much

stuff!

Had to toss them. Starting to feel like a hoarder...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clwe
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
I have the perfect use for (most of) my expansion boxes - store both the base game and the expansion content together in 'em (Race for the Galaxy and Core Worlds say hi)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I re-use my boxes for extra game pieces or knick-knacks or sometimes I use them to put other games in for travel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy a cat. It will know what to do with all those boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
I used to keep all boxes and inserts. When I started running out of room a couple of years ago I did a major consolidation and trashed expansion boxes and whatever inserts were in the way. There's still a few I have, but for the most part I'm of the mind I'm probably not going to get rid of just an expansion (it'll be the whole game and expansions) so keeping boxes for some theoretical use later just wasn't making any sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I throw them out as long as it will fit in the core box.

Use to keep them in the closet, but that just added unneeded clutter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I have kept the boxes for some and others I have just thrown out. So for me it is about 50/50 keep or trash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point they're in my closet. I don't have a ton of expansions right now, but I still think about this sometimes. Possible uses for the boxes could be...

Storage for other game-related items
Wall art for a game room

Now that I think about it, I might try to make a sectioned card holder for my firefly cards out of some of the expansion boxes... hmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reuse or recycle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've kept some because they are good to pack other games in (PnP or what have you). I'm looking for a crafty way to change the covers.

Others I've recycled. If I decide to sell a game in the future I'll sell it with the expansion included in the box, if that is how I'm storing it already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon Carroll
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use them as gift boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on the game I will usually cut the cover off and frame it. 12 inch boxes fit great in vinyl cover frames.
I have a few tall and skinny boxes that separately hold, extra sleeves, extra baggies, board game extras such as blank cards or components that I switched out for upgraded components.

If I don't decide to frame them or use them as mentioned I will still skin the cover and put them in my closet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use them as gifts for little kids and babies. Often times, they like to play with the boxes more than what's inside. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carrollz wrote:

Hahaha!

The scene on Christmans morning at Shannon's house as gifts are being opened:

"Oh look! Shannon bought me the expansion for my favorite boardgame!"

Moments later:

"Oh... nevermind. It's just socks."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nathairday wrote:
skin the cover

What does this mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McGuire
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carrollz wrote:

+1.

The boxes for the Carcassonne expanstions are just the right size for so many things. I wrapped the box bottom and top separately and then just tied the present with ribbon. That way my lovely can open the box without having to rip the paper off. I've also used boxes that are pre-wrapped like that to give away Christmas holiday cookies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
Carrollz wrote:

Hahaha!

The scene on Christmans morning at Shannon's house as gifts are being opened:

"Oh look! Shannon bought me the expansion for my favorite boardgame!"

Moments later:

"Oh... nevermind. It's just socks."

I think the word "crestfallen" would be my go to if that happened to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Sinnott
Canada
Minesing
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I look at the pretty pictures and then throw the expansion boxes in my recycling bin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.