11 Posts

Star Wars: Destiny – Awakenings» Forums » General

Subject: How was the pre release? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hill
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I didn't get to attend an event and snag my cards early (I reserved some from a local place, in any case) was wondering if anyone could give a "review" for the pre-release. How does it play competitively? What cards did you pull in your boosters? Was there any new info regarding shipping date? Whatever you got, I'm interested to hear how the experience was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from anything else, December 1st is the release, with the second wave expected somewhere around two weeks later. Prerelease was super fun locally; everyone got their stuff and opened boosters and showed off legendaryies, then played a bunch of starter games. Even with the limited cards in the starters all the games I played were tense and came down to the wire (though I lost all of them ).

Edit: To add, it's almost if not completely sold out at the distributor level for the first wave (in the US). I expect this will be a hot, hot commodity for a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave a

Indiana
msg tools
Good here in Indianapolis. everyone got starter and 4 booster for $30. I got 4 starters, and 2 legendary cards from the 16 boosters. (and a jango fett). Playability is easy but can be as deep as you want. My wife and 8 year old son love it, and i did not expect that. I got it for me and my Star Wars friends. Lastly, it is thematic, and I DEFINITELY did not expect that for a pvp CCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
HillKing wrote:
Since I didn't get to attend an event and snag my cards early (I reserved some from a local place, in any case) was wondering if anyone could give a "review" for the pre-release. How does it play competitively? What cards did you pull in your boosters? Was there any new info regarding shipping date? Whatever you got, I'm interested to hear how the experience was.

It plays great. there are few rules currently that have needed clarification for those reading the rules and following along. The decks are fun thus far. The random booster pulls have made for a more interesting meta than seeing a sith holocron in every jack wagon's sith deck.

Out of 6 Boosters, I got Jango Fett, One with the Force, Thermal Detonator, On the Hunt, though I also got another Rey's Staff and Immobilize.

Ship date, or release is December 1st, though MM has been coy if they are shipping that date or not. FFG and stores will have product available that day. Games by James confirmed they have the product, or some of it, and are able to sell it that day.

Overall my 3 booster boxes are going to get to me in December and I am super pumped about the game and community developing on FB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
My group is really loving it. Our "constructed decks" were still not that great with only the starters and limited amount of boosters, but still fun. The dice add randomness but there are so many choices and ways to manipulate the dice (both yours and your opponent's) that it keeps the game skillful.

Favorite card I pulled so far is probably General Grievous. Though I also got Luke, Leia, and Qui-Gon.

December 1st is official release date.

The prelaunch was definitely fun. There was no set structure for these so it was mainly meeting some new folks and trying out the game however you wanted. We played some games constructing our decks (but with only 25 cards instead of 30 since we couldn't quite get to 30 yet), and also tried a 4-player game with the multiplayer rules which was a lot of fun with Ackbar shenanigans and everyone ganging up on my Grievous so that he wouldn't steal ALL of the upgrades. ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ours was great! There was 3 couples trying it out and a couple more. The limited amount of boosters I was able to buy built a fun deck but I could see "competitive" decks getting expensive! My wife and I each bought a starter and 6 packs, then I went back for 10 more boosters. So between 16 packs we pulled a few legendary cards. I think my favorite thus far is Crime Lord, or the Hangar bay which I haven't got to try yet.

Its a fun game, easy to pick up and learn, and it moves really fast with actions back and forth. The only problem I see so far is that people can get out of hand when rolling dice. I hope there's a dice box in the near future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Wahlsten
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
with the second wave expected somewhere around two weeks later.

Wait, hold on. Second wave? 2 weeks after the release of Awakenings? Are you talking about a second set, and if so source?

If it's out that soon, I don't like it. Give me some time to play and collect my new game I'm in love with, FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure second wave means a reprint since the first wave sold out as mentioned. Given the expected release of 3 new sets a year, the second set shouldn't be until around March.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meat Hook

Ohio
msg tools
The pre release went really well in Cincinnati. We had 18 people show up. Everyone got a starter and 4 packs. They let us make decks with the cards that we pulled from the packs. I pulled a Vader which went really well with my elite kylo that went on to win the tournament. Loving the game so far

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Trisciuzzi
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to 2 events in So Cal. Both of mine were filled to capacity and it was pretty fun. Got some decent packs and helped my neighbors with rules since I knew how to play and had kept up to date. The community seemed really helpful overall. I helped a guy out by explaining how Qui-Gon worked and trading him a card he would need for a good deck. Overall I'm even more excited now than I was leading up to launch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Palacio
United States
suwanee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
At our local store we paid $40 for a Starter and 6 boosters...The price was a little steep but i don't think anybody cared since we knew that meant more products for us. I tried to buy another starter or booster pack after the launch and i was not successful. The owner explained that He had very limited amount of the product. So that is that.

About the game, We all had a blast. Lots of questions and broken rules but at the end everybody was very happy and ready for the release. On the same note, I was one of the unfortunates that didn't open a single Legendary, however i was still somehow pleased with my pulls (understanding It could have been MUCH better). I pulled good rares like: General Grievous, Bala-Tik, BB-8, Outpost, Diplomatic Immunity, Jedi Ropes, Rey's Staff, and
2x Data Plans!

With all the cards that i have right now, i can somehow put two 20 card decks together and battle out with friends until the release day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.