$30.00
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is it the most divided now?
Is it the constant exposure to other peoples opinions?
The ability to rage on people and the ability for so many people to see so many things?
How much did people talk about this crap 50 years ago?
Did people walk around looking at people wondering if they voted against them?

http://www.gallup.com/poll/197828/record-high-americans-perc...
7 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, good question.

I'll tentatively agree -- I think that the nature of technologically mediated communication is fundamentally different than spoken word.

That is to say, you feel more strongly about your opinions if you write them down. (I believe that goes back to Festinger's work in the 50's, please correct me if you recognize what I'm talking about, I'm having a little trouble placing it.)

Given typed communication, we're constantly writing what we say down. We can't just say "Oh I never believed that," because there's written evidence that we most certainly did.

Essentially, I think the internet makes us -- everyone -- more likely to "stick to their guns" rather than consider new information.

However, this effect is moderated by the amount of new information we can be exposed to -- there is the possibility to talk to a LOT more people in your life due to the internet. Exposure to ideas (can) be higher. (Let's set aside bubbles, if you're in RSP, you're not that interested fully living in an ideological bubble.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
America was pretty divided 155 years ago, even without the internet.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Truth always divides the righteous from liars. So in that sense, yes, the internet has divided us.

"But everything exposed by the light becomes visible--and everything that is illuminated becomes a light." Ephesians 5:13
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
Truth always divides the righteous from liars. So in that sense, yes, the internet has divided us.

"But everything exposed by the light becomes visible--and everything that is illuminated becomes a light." Ephesians 5:13
And when the righteous become liars and elect Trump, what happens then? Do we wait four years to see them become illuminated to their transgressions? What made you step out of the light and embrace darkness?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the move from less face to face discussion to insulated communication has reduced the amount of commiseration, compromise and empathy people have for each other. Most of the natural human communication process is lost.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Why is it the most divided now?


Because we have reached the tipping point of people who put into the system and people who take from the system.It only gets worse from here as the baby boomers move into retirement and put more strain on the system.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It allows us to self-select news and facts. It allows us to self-tribalize ourselves. It would be possible to feed ourselves a steady diet of confirmation and never see an opinion or fact which challenges us. In this environment, it is absolutely contributing to a division.
13 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
Shaman
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
It allows us to self-select news and facts. It allows us to self-tribalize ourselves. It would be possible to feed ourselves a steady diet of confirmation and never see an opinion or fact which challenges us. In this environment, it is absolutely contributing to a division.


It doesn't only allow, it in some way forces.

See: Google search algorithms giving people the results they want on news stories without regard to source.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
Truth always divides the righteous from liars. So in that sense, yes, the internet has divided us.

"But everything exposed by the light becomes visible--and everything that is illuminated becomes a light." Ephesians 5:13


I ... I wanted to thumb this, thinking you meant Trump (the arch-liar). But I guess you didn't.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Why is it the most divided now?
Is it the constant exposure to other peoples opinions?
The ability to rage on people and the ability for so many people to see so many things?
How much did people talk about this crap 50 years ago?
Did people walk around looking at people wondering if they voted against them?

http://www.gallup.com/poll/197828/record-high-americans-perc...


This is why I go out of my way to engage in what I engage in "liberal media days"....taking a day to listen to only the liberal radio shows, only watching MSNBC and/or Democracy now, only reading the DailyKos and Huffington Post web sites.

It certainly provides a different view, that's for sure. And from time to time (rarely) I find a nugget of insight into their reporting.

It's about time to do this again--anybody have any recommendations besides those I've noted above? I need to track down a streaming liberal radio show--so far as I know there aren't any such shows within range of my radio anymore. Unless somebody has some other recommendations I'll probably listen to the Alan Colmes Show.




Ferret
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
It allows us to self-select news and facts. It allows us to self-tribalize ourselves. It would be possible to feed ourselves a steady diet of confirmation and never see an opinion or fact which challenges us. In this environment, it is absolutely contributing to a division.


Agreed, and I'd say the Internet has simply accelerated the process begun with the proliferation of cable stations in the 1980's and '90's. Up through the late 1970's there were basically only three networks we all watched, which among other things resulted in far more shared experiences and common sources of information than we have today. While there were negatives associated with that situation, it did have the virtue of our population being more closed tied together in terms of what we saw and heard. Today's fragmentation of news and entertainment means many people can burrow into very niche aspects of any subject and utterly ignore other viewpoints (or even be completely ignorant of their very existence. )
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had a civil war. We're not the most divided we've ever been.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tegarend wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
Truth always divides the righteous from liars. So in that sense, yes, the internet has divided us.

"But everything exposed by the light becomes visible--and everything that is illuminated becomes a light." Ephesians 5:13


I ... I wanted to thumb this, thinking you meant Trump (the arch-liar). But I guess you didn't.


But at least we agree that there are lies being slung. It's a start.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc Mage wrote:
We've had a civil war. We're not the most divided we've ever been.


Gawd. Just nit pick.
IN OUR LIFETIMES.
Better?
You gonna go find someone that claims to have been alive during the civil war now?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Doc Mage wrote:
We've had a civil war. We're not the most divided we've ever been.


Gawd. Just nit pick.
IN OUR LIFETIMES.
Better?
You gonna go find someone that claims to have been alive during the civil war now?


No, but is that last civil war pensioner still alive? http://time.com/95195/civil-war-pensioner/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
I think it has, particularly social media. It's not only the clickbait shares of slanted news stories. It's also the sharing of fake news stories and memes as truth. It's just made the dissemination of things that barely have a single fact in them that much easier.

It's also led to people tending to hear predominately one-side of the story in as partisan a way as possible. Further, even when exposed to the other viewpoint, the internet is so deeply impersonal that angry, vicious responses have become ingrained.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't actually that divided, but the internet may cause people to feel like it is divided.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
lfisher wrote:
It isn't actually that divided, but the internet may cause people to feel like it is divided.


Hmmmm, I don't know. We seems pretty divided all in all.

I get your point though. IMO, it's more that it causes people to think issue X is much more widespread and critical than it actually is. Every kerfuffle gets completely blown out of proportion on both sides.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Meh. Most people are assholes. The Internet simply gives them a new and worldwide audience to witness their assholery.

More to the point, communication about personal issues, highly personal issues, started in the 1970s and early 1980s on television with daytime television shows. I was watching "How to Get Away With Murder" the other night with the wife, and there was a scene of two male actors kissing rather passionately. Didn't blink an eye. That would have caused riots and cancellations and all sorts of nonsense 40 years ago. Now, big whoop.

But there is also discussion on issues that were pretty well not discussed when I was a kid: homosexuality, abortion, divorce, spousal abuse, child abuse, birth control, erectile dysfunction, sexual affairs, children borne out of wedlock, the private lives of politicians, unmarried cohabitation, ORAL SEX!!!!!*, etc. etc. The range of subjects open to discussion occurred just as global communications became a regular, dependable thing. And when we discuss such subjects, much less politics or international relations, we tend to be more defensive even as we seek out others who have experienced what we have. So I don't know that we're divided as we are just suddenly realizing the actual diversity of thought, opinion, and lifestyle among (in America) a vast populace that traces roots to a wide variety of backgrounds and cultures.

And yeah, most people are assholes.

*--Thank a Baby Boomer for that!!!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
It isn't actually that divided, but the internet may cause people to feel like it is divided.


Sometimes it's the opposite. When everybody on your Facebook and Twitter feeds seem to repeat the same stuff and agree on everything and that's your primary or sole source of news, you become surprised to discover what you believed may NOT in fact be widely believed and might even be pretty much a minority view.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks with of someone's generous "Geek TIP" then 'moi' HATH 'entrieds' "Geek Gold for GAMES" upon several AND THEN an 'Agricola Chicken'! >sauron
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaitlyn Smith
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
Truth always divides the righteous from liars. So in that sense, yes, the internet has divided us.

"But everything exposed by the light becomes visible--and everything that is illuminated becomes a light." Ephesians 5:13
And when the righteous become liars and elect Trump, what happens then? Do we wait four years to see them become illuminated to their transgressions? What made you step out of the light and embrace darkness?


OK, I must be misreading your post, because nobody has raged about it yet. But since when have I become a liar because I voted for Trump?

Unfortunately, you and I will see the same thing in four years and we both suspect it won't be good. However, my reason for voting for Trump will never be vindicated because you will never know what would have happened if Hillary got elected. And I've gone on record: I suspect four years of Trump will be bad. And I suspect that four years of Hillary will be worse. So you will damn me for voting for Trump when things are bad four years from now, and yet it is possible that I was 100% correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaitlyn Smith
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
Thanks with of someone's generous "Geek TIP" then 'moi' HATH 'entrieds' "Geek Gold for GAMES" upon several AND THEN an 'Agricola Chicken'! >sauron
Thanks with of someone's generous "Geek TIP" then 'moi' HATH 'entrieds' "Geek Gold for MICROBADGESS" note that really "pretty" one next to the rightmost star >sauron "Moi" thinks everyone should have 1
4 
 Thumb up
8.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaitlyn_Res wrote:
OK, I must be misreading your post, because nobody has raged about it yet. But since when have I become a liar because I voted for Trump?

Unfortunately, you and I will see the same thing in four years and we both suspect it won't be good. However, my reason for voting for Trump will never be vindicated because you will never know what would have happened if Hillary got elected. And I've gone on record: I suspect four years of Trump will be bad. And I suspect that four years of Hillary will be worse. So you will damn me for voting for Trump when things are bad four years from now, and yet it is possible that I was 100% correct.
You may be misreading the context, it was directed at Trump voters (seemingly Sarxis) who believe it was Christian and "righteous" to vote for Trump. It was not directed at all Trump voters. It isn't even about his ability to govern, it is about a "righteous" Christian choosing a unrepentant heathen sinner who promotes, advocates for and engages in forbidden behaviors without remorse and thinking that it is "righteous" to be led by them. This is why the more "righteous" Christian sects don't even get into politics. https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/political-neutr...

Personally I don't care if a Christian comes in here and starts arguing about how Trump is better for trade than Clinton. But if you try to use biblical guidelines to claim he is something he clearly is not, then you are a deceiver and a heretic.
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.