Galaxy Defenders» Forums » General

Subject: For anyone that has made scenarios how do you balance it. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Looking for advice on making a scenario pointers tips appreciated please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am stuck on a scenario that I was working on. I found it really hard to balance, however I was working on a solitaire mission where you would only play 1 agent. What I found was that the different agents would have a different amount of success with the mission. So, I'm not convinced that it can be balanced for just one agent. I may try to adjust it for multi-player to make it work.

What I did was use the official missions as a basis for creating my own. And then I playtested it solo and made adjustments. I might have played the same mission almost 10 times.

I don't see how you can really skip playtesting to check for balance. That is the key. In my case, I came to the conclusion that 1 agent is really hard to do and probably not possible with the scenario I was trying to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Heh, the bane of many games - how to allow variables into your setup?

For your solitaire scenario Logus, you could always specific *which* class (or subset of classes) it is meant for. That does mean that the scenario could be more tightly targeted to that classes interests as well as abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rpvt wrote:
Heh, the bane of many games - how to allow variables into your setup?

For your solitaire scenario Logus, you could always specific *which* class (or subset of classes) it is meant for. That does mean that the scenario could be more tightly targeted to that classes interests as well as abilities.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of restricting it to a certain agent. That could definitely work. Especially in this case because I had it set up as 3 mission story arc. I have done the first 2 missions but only playtested the first mission, which is the one I mentioned above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tulsatom wrote:
Looking for advice on making a scenario pointers tips appreciated please.

The four most important steps:

1 - playtest
2 - playtest
3 - have other people playtest
4 - playtest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.