Mottainai» Forums » General

Subject: I enjoy a lot 2 player GtR: Would Mottainai like me even more? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norberto Leiva
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that I am in the minority. Glory to Rome has been a blast for my 2 player sessions with my partner. I don´t see why many folks don´t recommend this game for 2.

I enjoy it because of its interaction (still very important in 2p games), pool control and moderated chaos (not so much as with 3+ players). I don´t know other medium weight card games with this right interaction-control-chaos balance for my taste.

I have read that Mottainai works better than GtR for 2 players.

why would you recommend me Mottainai over GtR for 2 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Innovation to be a superior game to Mottainai. Have you tried it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did choose it over GtR as it takes far less time to setup and plays quicker too. Plus you can sell GtR and it'll likely more than pay for Mottainai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Two-player Mottainai is great. I'd recommend it because you can fit it in your pocket and still have room for your phone and keys. you don't actually need the playmats once you have played the game a few times - you could just as easily use a napkin or splay cards without anything over them. Beyond that, it plays insanely quickly and you can get multiple games in during the same time that you would only be able to play Innovation or Glory to Rome once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I'll support you in preferring GtR with two. I love the extra bit of control it adds. I've only played Mottainai once and found it hard to understand. I also thought it was too short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Mottainai over GTR in general. But Mottainai is excellent2.ith just 2 for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norberto Leiva
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a couple of 3 player Innovation games. I liked it, but not so much as GtR. I find GtR a bit more deep and less chaotic.

So Mottainai is a better 2er for most of folks because it is faster and smaller than GtR...nothing more?.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Faster and smaller are both positives in our house. I've read a lot about Glory to Rome but only have Uchronia. At least with that version of the game "engine" it's a very similar experience to Mottainai but the latter feels much more streamlined with some fluff taken out. For some players that fluff can be important though because it adds to theme or just fun in general - not everyone wants something stripped down to the essence of a game and I do feel like that's what you get with Mottainai.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hanf
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigrevasco_2003 wrote:
I played a couple of 3 player Innovation games. I liked it, but not so much as GtR. I find GtR a bit more deep and less chaotic.

So Mottainai is a better 2er for most of folks because it is faster and smaller than GtR...nothing more?.

I have good news for you: I love GtR at all player counts; but with 2 players, Innovation is less chaotic and much deeper than GtR!

Sorry, OP, I haven't played Mottainai yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed GtR as a two-player title but felt it really shined with more.

Asking me to choose between Innovation and Mottainai is too darn hard. Both are amazing experiences. Innovation is more of a thematic match for me and I love the variety of cards, especially with the expansions. But Mottainai is quick, possibly more interactive, and much, much easier to set up. Plus I can play three games of Mottainai in the time it takes me to play Innovation, and on a smaller table to boot.

If you like 2p Glory to Rome, I think you'll like Mottainai. You may find it too fast-paced, but it's definitely worth a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the "good" meaty Chudyk games here's the only player count I would go with

Mottainai: 2
Glory to Rome: 2,3,4
Innovation: 2
Impulse: 3

I have and love all, but I feel GtR actually works really well for all player counts...and plays differently per player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have both games.

I think they both play well - but you'll want to spend time learning one game or the other.

My friend and I have played GtR more, so I think we like it more than Mottainai. I love that Mottainai takes up less table, though, and that I can have a copy in the car to play anywhere.

I just need a friend to get *really* familiar with the cards so our play goes to the next level.

For us, GtR with two players is a tight game - we're working to deny the other player sites he needs, or to control the end of the game while ahead. We don't know the Mottainai cards well enough to see those special-card wins coming (and are sometimes blindsided by them). If we knew all 54 cards better, I think we'd have even more strategy in Mottainai.

Anyway, hope that helps. I think you can definitely have both, especially for the cost of one Mottainai deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.