Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been an honor to be a Geek of the Week! Thanks for all the great questions, and for supporting Flip the Table's journey into the Cheesy, Weird, and Obscure!

I'd like to pay it forward by spotlighting an up-and-comer in the world of board game podcasting...

I nominate Crystal Pisano!

I've been listening to her show, Board Game Blitz, since the beginning. I have really enjoyed their unique, quickfire format and the easy chemistry of the hosts...and I'm glad to get the word out about this show to the community at large. But Crystal is more than just a podcaster! I'll let her tell you more...

Crystal Pisano
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

"Crystal Pisano is one of the co-hosts of the somewhat new podcast, Board Game Blitz. Launched at the end of May 2016, BGB features conversations between Crystal, Ambie (ambierona), and Cassadi (noajayne) where they discuss games they’ve been playing, board game accessories, board game etymology, and more! Crystal writes board game content (reviews/features/etc) for a few different websites in her free time, is a moderator on /r/boardgames on reddit, and she also helps run MeepleCon, a three-day board game convention in Las Vegas that takes place the weekend immediately following the GAMA trade show each year. This coming MeepleCon (March 17-19, 2017) will be the first time Crystal, Ambie, and Cassadi will all meet in person!

To pay the bills, Crystal is a Marketing Communications Manager for a credit card company. While board gaming is the only serious hobby Crystal has, she also loves karaoke, binge-watching TV shows, coming up with cool Halloween costumes each year, playing the occasional video or computer game, and hanging out with her husband and their three dogs, Lana, Sterling, and Maeby."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Truths and a Lie!

Poll
Two Truths and a Lie!
Which of these is a lie?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Crystal met William Shatner when she was 7 and refused to smile in a picture with him
13.4% 13
Crystal created her own comic strips as a child, which featured the adventures of Blimpy and Flocko
30.9% 30
Crystal can say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious backwards from memory
55.7% 54
Voters 97
This poll is now closed.   97 answers
Poll created by FlipTheTableChris
Closes: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Crystal! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Crystal!
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crystal Pisano
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much Chris for nominating me for this honor. I have enjoyed getting to know people in the community both in person and online and hope to meet many more in the years to come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crystal Pisano
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations Crystal!
Have a great week!

My usual question: Have you a favorite wizard? If so, who? If not, why? And which game (if any) is he/she from?

I don't have a favorite wizard from a board game, but since I'm a lover of old Aqua Teen Hunger Force episodes, I'll name the wwwyzzerdd as my fav. He's actually a huge jerk, but he made me laugh.

And lol, the website is still up even though that episode aired 14 years ago. http://www.yzzerdd.com/

As to why I don't have a favorite board game wizard, I don't really know. I think I focus more on the experience than the character I'm playing in most games so the names don't stick with me as much (unless they're already someone I'm familiar with, like from a specific IP)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hartman
United States
Fairbanks
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Crystal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassadi
United States
Blacklick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!! And here's a question for you! (I probably already know the answer)

If you could only play ONE board game for the rest of your life which would it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?
6 What game reminds you most of running a board game convention?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crystal Pisano
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noajayne wrote:
Congrats!! And here's a question for you! (I probably already know the answer)

If you could only play ONE board game for the rest of your life which would it be?

This question is so mean! The thought of only having one board game terrifies me! A lot of my favorite games are ones that I don't play too often because they are big and epic. I'd need something more casual... not too short but not too long... great replayability... I think something like Descent or Mice & Mystics would be good because I could write new stories and create my own scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crystal Pisano
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
midnight_reaper wrote:
Congratulations on making Geek of the Week!

I have a few questions for you......
1 What is your opinion of war gaming?
2 Do you have a favorite war game; if so, what is it?
3 What are your opinions or memories of playing Risk?
4 What are your opinions or memories of playing Axis & Allies?
5 What game would you tell all gamers about that just has no publicity and that nobody knows about?
6 What game reminds you most of running a board game convention?

I thank you for your time. thumbsup cool

-M_R

1) I am not a fan of war games because I don't generally enjoy direct conflict with other players (yet I also don't like euro games, so try to figure that one out!).

2) Does Battlestar Galactica count as a war game?

3) I didn't really play Risk as a child (I know I didn't own it). I don't dislike Risk, but it is thematically pretty boring to me. I also tend to be the person that rolls so poorly that a small group of enemies can easily take out a large group of my own people!

4) I don't think I've ever played Axis & Allies. I'd be willing to try it sometime though!

5) I don't think I'm too knowledgeable about obscure games. A couple games in my collection that I don't see others with very often are A La Carte and Mord Im Arosa.

6) Ha! I'm the third wheel of a three wheel team that runs MeepleCon so I'm (luckily) not responsible for a lot of the important stuff. In the past I've been in charge of our volunteers and their schedules, so maybe a worker placement game of some kind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Crystal, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Crystal and enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo B.
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
All right. Then, fine. The title is "Cheese Song". Eh-hem. Hn... Here I go:
badge
Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Crystal! Enjoy your week! thumbsup

Here's my usual questions:
What's the weirdest thing that's happened while you were playing?
What's your favorite comic/manga (if you have one)?
If you could have one superpower what would it be?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Crystal!

What is the best board game you have ever only played once?

What is the best board game you have ever only played twice?

What is the best board game you have ever only played three times?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Crystal! Always great to see cool people get recognized!

A few important questions...

1. Pepsi or Coke?
2. What color do you prefer to play?
3. The next blockbuster movie based on a boardgame, which one would you like to see?
4. And what "guilty pleasure" game (one no self respecting snob gamer would play) do you have hidden in your closet?

Have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hillier
United States
Kettering
OH
flag msg tools
WDYPTW Podcast
badge
I am the wurst!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! congraduations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Crystal!

No questions but thanks for BGB, it made the 9.5 hour drive to BGG Con a little more bearable. Really enjoyed the TIME Stories episode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Crystal!

What monster from boardgaming or RPGs would you want to have as a pet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
CrysP wrote:
2) Does Battlestar Galactica count as a war game?

I have a maximumist perspective on what is a war game: Is there a war going on in your game? If yes, then it's a war game. I would say that BSG counts, as the Cylons are fighting a war with the Humans. But I am well aware that my position is extreme in its level of war game acceptance.

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crystal Pisano
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kintarouji wrote:
Congratulations Crystal! Enjoy your week! thumbsup

Here's my usual questions:
What's the weirdest thing that's happened while you were playing?
What's your favorite comic/manga (if you have one)?
If you could have one superpower what would it be?

Thanks!

1) I can't recall any specific memories that stick out as "weird" per se. Something amusing and a little weird happened to my friends and I while we were playing TIME Stories, but it would be a big spoiler for that game, so I'll just say we did something really dumb and it was really funny after-the-fact.

2) I don't currently read any comics, but I've loved the graphic novel Maus since I was in middle school. A powerful and heartfelt story about the Holocaust.

3) Teleportation, for sure. If I never had to drive or fly anywhere, that would save so much time and money!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crystal Pisano
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jrtolf wrote:
Congratulations, Crystal!

What is the best board game you have ever only played once?

What is the best board game you have ever only played twice?

What is the best board game you have ever only played three times?

I don't track my plays, so I have to go off my memory (which can be a bit unreliable at times)

1) Once - Mansions of Madness Second Edition

2) Twice - Alea Iacta Est/Order of the Gilded Compass (one time each)

3) Three times - Broom Service
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crystal Pisano
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameKnightMaine wrote:
Congratulations Crystal! Always great to see cool people get recognized!

A few important questions...

1. Pepsi or Coke?
2. What color do you prefer to play?
3. The next blockbuster movie based on a boardgame, which one would you like to see?
4. And what "guilty pleasure" game (one no self respecting snob gamer would play) do you have hidden in your closet?

Have a great week!

1) Coke. But I refuse to be the person who turns their nose up at pepsi. I actually enjoy an RC every now and then too! It's hard to find, but the low calorie RC10 is actually my favorite of the no/low calorie colas.

2) Purple, followed by pink, followed by orange. I hate when games just have red, blue, green, and yellow. In those cases I usually settle for yellow or green.

3) Specter Ops

4)The Omega Virus. I've loved it since I was a kid and I still love it. Of the mass market games, it definitely isn't the worst, and I really hope Restoration Games makes a new version of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crystal Pisano
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Congrats Crystal!

No questions but thanks for BGB, it made the 9.5 hour drive to BGG Con a little more bearable. Really enjoyed the TIME Stories episode.

Thanks for the kind words! We had a tough time getting the TIME Stories discussion to fit in 30 minutes but we made it happen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crystal Pisano
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:
Congrats Crystal!

What monster from boardgaming or RPGs would you want to have as a pet?

Assuming the sled dogs from Snow Tails don't count, I'll go with the cyber bunny from King of Tokyo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.