Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
"...and now we play the waiting game...oh, the waiting game sucks! Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos!"

-- Homer Simpson

Despite an "oil crisis," there must have been a lot of extra petroleum around when I was a kid, because the game market had a lot of what I call "big chunk of plastic" games. I remember playing all sorts of games that were a big slab of plastic. and Hungry Hungry Hippos is one of those games that I always remember with nostalgia...

It's one of those games that you can figure out be looking at the box cover. There's this round pond/arena thing and four colorful hippos around it. When you push down on the hippo's tail, his head shoots out and it chomps down in the center of the pond (sort of like hippos do in real life -- the next time you're in Africa, try it). Now, throw a handful of marbles in the center of the pond and you can imagine what happens next: everyone starts smacking on their hippo's tail as quickly and as hard as they can to chow down on more marbles than everyone else.

This is the genius of this particular game: a toy that is designed to have children hitting it repeatedly. (Gosh, I wonder if they got broken and had to be replaced once in a while?) I bet that when they thought up this game, they figured that repeat sales alone would make them a fortune.

Anyway, if you want the fun of hitting a hippo to make him eat marbles, you probably shouldn't go to a zoo to do it (believe me, I've tried, and I'm banned from that zoo for life). Go to the store, pick up Hungry Hungry Hippos and have some raucous fun, just don't expect Tigris and Euphrates.(I see them at Goodwill a lot of the time -- can you imagine that perhaps a parent would get tired of hearing four children playing this game? Yeah, me too.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chrees M
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Another classic "big chunk of plastic" game from the pas
I remember the god-awful noise that thing made when you was hitting the lever, and the balls flying around the area. Urgh, that and Ker-Plunk were awful for noise. No-one cared who won or lost back then, it was how much noise could you make before your parents tanned your hide and sent you to bed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls