Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Are we in a board game renaissance? Are we seeing designers at liberty to break from molds? Are we eating giant turkey legs? Hmmm, ponders.

We are used to seeing a lot of big games get translated into smaller games like "The Dice Game" versions. Or The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game, where you take a one of two mechanics and focus on that. Streamlining and cutting back are mainstays among designers. But what about the inverse? Taking something small and expanding on it?

I recently played Sushi Go Party! and was impressed how it took the original game, which I could never really enjoy, and made it into something interesting without losing it's identity. On the other side of the coin, there is Timeline Challenge which I found was serviceable but not up to the simple elegance of the original timeline series of games.

So what small games do you wish could be expanded upon? What are some other examples of small and simple, almost filler-like, games get expanded into a full-on game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wanted to enjoy Hostage Negotiator but couldn't because to the lack of choices I felt I got to make. I could never help but think that maybe if they would have made the game into a robust version with more options and deeper strategies I would have kept it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Witch's Brew was expanded into Broom Service, but now that I've played both, I like the original a lot better. (I haven't played Broom Service: The Card Game, because huh?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Ghost
badge
Can't You See That You're Lost Without Me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Empire Engine has a great rondel-like mechanism that I'd like to see expanded upon. Supposedly the designer is working on a bigger game that incorporates it...

Even though it's not a "small game," it is a filler, and that's why I'd like to see Loop Inc. expanded upon. The time-traveling, card programming is very interesting, and if used in a bigger game, it could really be something fresh and different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Weekend Ultimate Werewolf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Melrose
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday could use an expansion bad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a "small" game per se, but I would really like a more robust version of Risk: Star Wars Edition. I would love to have this same game in more of a medium-weight version, maybe something that plays in 90 minutes instead of 45.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
Are we in a board game renaissance? Are we seeing designers at liberty to break from molds? Are we eating giant turkey legs? Hmmm, ponders.

We are used to seeing a lot of big games get translated into smaller games like "The Dice Game" versions. Or The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game, where you take a one of two mechanics and focus on that. Streamlining and cutting back are mainstays among designers. But what about the inverse? Taking something small and expanding on it?

I recently played Sushi Go Party! and was impressed how it took the original game, which I could never really enjoy, and made it into something interesting without losing it's identity. On the other side of the coin, there is Timeline Challenge which I found was serviceable but not up to the simple elegance of the original timeline series of games.

So what small games do you wish could be expanded upon? What are some other examples of small and simple, almost filler-like, games get expanded into a full-on game?

I tried Coup Rebellion. That is to Coup as Sushi Go Party is to Sushi Go. Another example is Machi Koro, and how there's a version that comes in a tin with both Harbor and Millionaire's Row expansions included.

For all 3 of those games, I like this new style considering how I find their base games rather bland. Doesn't make it an automatic go, as there are still plenty of games I'd rather play over those. This is a nice system in where those who don't know what they're getting into and/or want a cheap entry point, the original (should) still be there, but those more of "gamers" can spring for the "extra edition".

As far as other game ideas go (besides Machi Koro), I'll have to sit on this. Just cards isn't enough. It needs to be a game that can be expanded in that modular way, and I'm drawing a blank as far as that goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
Oph1d1an wrote:
It's not a "small" game per se, but I would really like a more robust version of Risk: Star Wars Edition. I would love to have this same game in more of a medium-weight version, maybe something that plays in 90 minutes instead of 45.

Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit obv

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl G
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about an expansion for Fairy Tale?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jujulautre wrote:
Oph1d1an wrote:

Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit obv
Well, a more robust in print version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd like to see bigger, longer versions of Coup and The Resistance, with more theme and a board. (I don't feel like traitor games really recreate the social deduction aspect of The Resistance, and there doesn't seem to be any game that creates special powers with lies.)

Clans already has a board, but it is a game that needs to have more going on than it does.

You could probably do a board game version of Space Hulk: Death Angel pretty easily. (As I understand it, Space Hulk was not a co-op, so I don't think Death Angel the Board Game would be much like Space Hulk.)

I'm sure that a Spyfall board game is already being playtested, secretly. I can't imagine the makers seeing Mysterium and not thinking to themselves, "Hmm...we should get in on that."

The core style of deduction that Timbuktu employs could probably be put into a more involved game.

The Tsuro/Ta Yu mechanism could probably be used in a pretty interesting way in a heavier game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji T
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish Kodama was expanxed to include Winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would have wanted something like Ascension: Deckbuilding Game or Dominion to turn into something meatier, more interesting.

Turns out it has already been answered, with Hero Realms (+ expansions) and Aeon's End. What do you know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was gonna say Age of War, but I guess that would be what Elder Sign was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I would have wanted something like Ascension: Deckbuilding Game or Dominion to turn into something meatier, more interesting.

Turns out it has already been answered, with Hero Realms (+ expansions) and Aeon's End. What do you know...

Did You tried BATTALIA: The Creation? Awesome deckbuilding where even starting cards are useful in some way later on... Beside you build a map out of cards and have heroes that move on the map. Much more meat in it, rather for geeks than casual people (Dominion is easier to grasp in my opinion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.