Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Arlington
United States
Spanish Fort
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Suburbia, but not a big fan of either of the official Solo scenarios in the rules. There's no competition in the Lone Architect one and I don't like some of the things about the Dale-bot version like that four new tiles show up each turn (so there's no planning ahead involved) and you see ALL the tiles eventually. I play with a modified version of the Dale-bot (called Jules-bot) that can be found here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1566833/solo-variant-thanks...

The upshot to Dale-bot in Jules-bot is that you don't use all the tiles (so you're not sure exactly what tiles will show up), you can see the ones coming up (and know which ones Jules-bot will be buying) and Jules-bot can go for the public goals. That makes it much more like playing a real game of Suburbia against other people. Jules-bot DOES get some advantages like only paying $3 for ANY tile it buys. And with that $3 buy rate, Jules-bot was able to buy TWO Mints early on. UGH! That allows it to build up money to convert to population later on to make up for the fact it's not that "smart" about what tiles to buy.

Still, as a quick glance at the picture below will tell you, it was WAY smart enough to beat me. Jules-bot is on the left, I'm on the right. See that stack of money? It ended up being 46 population. See how the "dumb" robot managed to beat me on ALL THREE goals? I ended up losing 146-88.

The robot might be a bit unbalanced as it stands, with it's modified starting position (it starts with a Middle School and Chip Fabrication Plant in addition to the standard three starting tiles), so I think next time I play, I might up the Robot's cost for tiles to be $5 instead of $3.

That being said, I just played a lousy game of Suburbia. I've been too busy Terraforming Mars, that I forgot how to terraform suburbia. I never used my Investment Markers (dumb), I let the robot get ALL three goals, I never got my early game money engine going soon enough. All around, just poor play on my part. I wasn't really planning on playing Suburbia again this month, but I may have to (with the $5 Jules-bot) just to get the taste of this one out of my mouth.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.