Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry about this. I know this has come up before. I realize I must be misinterpreting something, but can't make out what it is.
Read all I could find here about hill LOS questions and been over and over the rule book, and it still isn't clicking.
Specifically, the part in the rule book that says; "Hexes at lower levels directly behind obstacles are blind spots to units at higher elevations.
Hexes directly beyond hills are NOT blind to units from higher elevations on the same slope of the hill."
Not sure what the "on the same slope of the hill" has to do with it....or how they are defining the "slope of the hill"/where the "slope of the hill" ends.

Looking at the rule book, section 11.3, "Hills", figure 20 shows an example
where a unit at level 0 hex "A" at the base of the hill has LOS to the contiguous level 1 hex "B", but not to the level 1 hex "C" on the other side of hex "B". Likewise a unit in hex "C" can't see the unit on hex "A"
That makes sense. There is, a "hill crest" at the border of "A" and "B" that blocks the units "A" and "C"'s vision of each other.

The rule I highlighted above seems to contradict that.
C, B and A are all on the same hill slope.
According to the highlighted rule, "C" CAN see "A" as "C" is a "higher elevation" than "A", they are on the same hill slope, and A is a hex "directly beyond" the hill.
(Same holds true for the 3 unit group of D, C and B in fig. 20.)

If the "same slope of the hill" rule is referring just to obstacles (ie, woods, buildings), the example on figure 21 seems to go against it, where a unit on hex 1 (lvl 2 hex) can shoot down into hex 2 (lvl 0 hex with woods) but not into hexes 4 or 5 (both lvl 0 hexes with no obstacles) immediately past the woods on, what I think, is the same slope of the hill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignore the text (for a second) and follow the examples, which are correct. That is, A and C cannot see each other nor can C and E.

Now, the blind spot rule from 11.4 is in addition to (follows) the rule cited in 11.3, namely "Units can fire from a lower into a higher elevation hex, but not beyond it at hexes of equal or lesser level." You can replace "can fire" with "has LOS" in this instance.

Therefore D can see C and B can see A (by 11.3). Moreover, D can see A because they are on the same slope AND there is no other reason they can't see each other, that is, rule 11.3 applies and therefore 11.4 applies.

However, C cannot see A because rule 11.3 does not apply even though rule 11.4 does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you. Starting to make sense.
So lets say "D", a lvl 2 hex with no other lvl 2 hexes adjacent to it, and "A", a level 0 hex, are separated by 10 lvl 1 hexes.
"A" is considered "part of the same slope" as "D", therefore "D" and "A" have LOS to each other...despite the multiple intervening lvl 1 hexes?

My brain just recoils against that. Seems like a unit in "A" would be protected from any units in "D" (and visa-versa) by the downward sloping edge that connects "A" to the neighboring intervening lvl 1 hex. I can see them having LOS if there is only a single lvl 1 hex between them, but the separating them beyond a single intervening hex gets brings parallax to my thinking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't matter how many intervening hexes. The hill slope does not create a blind spot. It might not be intuitive, but them's the rules.

Think of the slope as a gradual change in elevation and not a ridge that units can hide behind. A building or forest on the other hand creates a vertical barrier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks. Got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.