Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
art cohen
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's obvious from the rules that you can't have a path on one tile that connects to a "grass" segment on another tile (same as with Carcassonne, and intuitive).

It's equally obvious that there will always be paths at the outside edge of your zoo that disappear "into nowhere".

But what about the case where you have four tiles with a square empty space in the middle (e.g. to create a loop). Are you allowed to have a path that disappears into the empty middle space? In a game like Carcassonne, that would be OK because you could, theoretically, put another tile in the middle eventually. In this game, it's impossible to place another tile in the middle so you're left with a path that disappears in the middle of your zoo.

I just played the game for the first time tonight. Had a blast, and this was the only question that really puzzled us. Can't wait to play it again.

Also wondering if there are any plans for an expansion set. It seems like you might want more zoo tiles if playing with five or six players (you could improvise the starter pieces and gates in a pinch).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Question about paths
scratchie (#24873),

In the ZooSim version of the rules there is a specific example that addresses this issue. It mentions that you can form a loop from a number of tiles that leave an empty space in the center. While it doesn't specifically say that there can be no paths that lead to the empty space, the example shows an empty space that is the size of half a tile. In that situation there is no way to fill in that space with a tile so I would say that you can have paths that run off into an empty, unplayable space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you make a large loop with 2 open paths leading into it, then later connect those 2 paths together? Does this one large loop suddenly become two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clifton Orson
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Is there any new information on this question? I just got this game for some friends and they tend to be very strict in the interpretation of rules (i.e. even if it makes sense or is implied, if it's not spelled out in the rules then it can't be done). I see from pictures on this site that many people DO have paths leading from loops into empty middle, and if there is not an official rule for this, can I tell them that it IS an accepted play by the general gaming community?

Alan Kaiser's response I agree with, but it falls under the whole "interpretation" problem I have with my friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.