1 , 2  Next »   | 

Conan» Forums » General

Subject: Enter the Winged Ape rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just as info Mythic Battles Pantheon just added a crossover pack to their list of addons featuring the mythical running gag aka the winged ape and stuff...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/mythic-battle...

the crossover includes MB elements to be used in Conan and Conan elements for MB, in both cases where a fitting match could be found.

additionally some helpless villagers as cannon fodder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Sanchez
msg tools
I haven't been feeling this game. I am not into the whole draft and versus gameplay and the models (other then the monsters) haven't been wowing me. However the winged app is awesome and the idea of corinthia is great so I'm conflicted because this crossover is no where near as accurate to Conan as the Conan core box. However I kinda expect if Conan were to succeed it needed to move beyond the original REH writings and incorporate the vast amount of comics, movies, and other Conan properties out there. Right now I'm pledging $1 but I might jump into this crossover and corebox.

Ps nyugen is an amazing modeler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drake
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I don't remember a Conan story with a winged ape. There definitely wasn't a hydra. And Olympians were right out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
The main baddie from REH's Queen of the Black Coast was described as a winged ape. I believe the winged demon from the Conan core box was supposed to be a "close enough" representation, but some people in the KS comments were pretty adamant that something much closer to a winged ape should have been included.

Personally, I'm not really feeling the need to back Mythic Battles, considering my Conan box is due to arrive tomorrow (Woot!) and I haven't even played that yet.

I would definitely consider a "Conan only" level on the MB Kickstarter, though. One big issue is that this add on will probably not make it to retail, because it has mostly tiles and character boards for figures from the MB base game. If you don't want to buy MB, then you wouldn't buy this at retail. And if you did want to buy MB, you would do it in the Kickstarter because Zowie! that's a lot of content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:
I would definitely consider a "Conan only" level on the MB Kickstarter, though. One big issue is that this add on will probably not make it to retail, because it has mostly tiles and character boards for figures from the MB base game. If you don't want to buy MB, then you wouldn't buy this at retail. And if you did want to buy MB, you would do it in the Kickstarter because Zowie! that's a lot of content.

I doubt they will make it a separate pledge without the core, as it uses material from there also for the conan part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mean they could package with that add on just those miniatures that have tiles & sheets assigned to that add on. Maybe the skeleton stretch goal as well. Not include the MB base game or stretch goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Insofar as i can tell, in order to get the new maps used by the crossover scenarios you have to also get a copy of Mythic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody else notice they've already got Conan scenarios written for this crossover, but still haven't released the scenarios that were supposed to come with our add-ons?

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Insofar as i can tell, in order to get the new maps used by the crossover scenarios you have to also get a copy of Mythic.

well of course.And to use the minis from MB in Conan,you will need...MB.

that's why it's a cross over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

well of course.And to use the minis from MB in Conan,you will need...MB.

Indeed, i misread the crossover as having the minimal set of MB minis - not sure where i got that idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed something that might be telling about their current selection of add-ons. As of right now, the average Mythic Battles backer is in for nearly $152... Considering that most of them are paying $99 (early birds are sold out), and considering what I would guess is a typical shipping cost of $30 (assuming backers would include that in their pledge to drive stretch goals), that leaves the average MB backer buying a mere $23 in expansions currently.

Compare that with Conan's average backer paying just over $207. I believe the shipping costs were about the same, so even with the multiple pledge levels of Conan, more backers were interested in picking up add-ons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in for $1 right now but I expect to spend about $250 once the pledge manager opens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Sanchez
msg tools
This sounds like the way to go. Spend $1 and hopefully you can just buy the crossover in the pledge manager.

$29 for the flying ape and 15 villager models is probably less then I spent on some Conan add-ons. And it also comes with tiles for the Spartan and hyenas and giant snake.

And if I ever feel the need to buy mythic battles at retail I will have all the exclusive Conan content to use with the retail edition of mythic battles since NONE of the stretch goals are part of this crossover.

There is however that 1 skeleton stretch goal tile for the spartoi, but I'm sure you can buy it off eBay for nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen bruton
msg tools
mb
Bokrug wrote:
(assuming backers would include that in their pledge to drive stretch goals)

I'm supposed to do that? Sorry, don't do that myself. Core $99 and Conan Expansion only so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Clanggedin wrote:
I'm in for $1 right now but I expect to spend about $250 once the pledge manager opens.

Anyone know if it's possible to be in for $1 now and then only do add ons later. I only want the winged ape and the 3D terrain? Though it looks like I still won't have my copy of Conan before it hits retail so it might be faster to just wait for these add ons to show up in retail as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gungo wrote:
This sounds like the way to go. Spend $1 and hopefully you can just buy the crossover in the pledge manager.

$29 for the flying ape and 15 villager models is probably less then I spent on some Conan add-ons. And it also comes with tiles for the Spartan and hyenas and giant snake.

And if I ever feel the need to buy mythic battles at retail I will have all the exclusive Conan content to use with the retail edition of mythic battles since NONE of the stretch goals are part of this crossover.

There is however that 1 skeleton stretch goal tile for the spartoi, but I'm sure you can buy it off eBay for nothing.

Why would you want to miss out on all the extras you get from a reasonably priced core game though. Thats just odd. I mean look at everything you get that won't be in the retail.
You could print out a Spartoi tile if thats all you want, it's a fake but its your game so whats it matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice enough idea, but as someone without the Conan game in front of them currently, I'm not jumping into another campaign with Monolith. Bad timing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:
The main baddie from REH's Queen of the Black Coast was described as a winged ape. I believe the winged demon from the Conan core box was supposed to be a "close enough" representation, but some people in the KS comments were pretty adamant that something much closer to a winged ape should have been included.

Yes, the Winged Ape is from REH's Queen of the Black Coast and the Demon from Outer Dark (aka the winged demon) is from REH's The Vale of the Lost Women.
The Dark Demon is from REH's The Black Stranger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
At least they posted the AI card. If they don't make the miniature available to us we can just kit bash our own winged ape and play with it now. If Conan is a good example of their development pace this add on wont ship for at least 2 years. Unfortunately I can't think of many Kickstarter games I'm still playing 2 years after they released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phantomwhale wrote:
Nice enough idea, but as someone without the Conan game in front of them currently, I'm not jumping into another campaign with Monolith. Bad timing.

Great timing. You will have 1-2 years of playtime with your Conan before you get next game

But really, they need to add crossover-only pledge. I might want to pay 29$+shipping for the winged ape, but I don't like this new game enough to pay 99$+ for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallantides wrote:
Bokrug wrote:

Yes, the Winged Ape is from REH's Queen of the Black Coast and the Demon from Outer Dark (aka the winged demon) is from REH's The Vale of the Lost Women.
The Dark Demon is from REH's The Black Stranger.

Frank, thanks much for all of the clarification you have done here and in the MB forum. I really want to back Mythic Battles (winged ape!) but I have one lingering concern. Do you know anything at all about Monolith's plans to deal with the gameplay affecting component issues with the English language Conan release? A few of us have been asking for weeks now with no response on the KS site. If they agreed to a plan like like that of the rulebook (replacing flawed components for backers) then my reservations would be gone and I'd be all in with this one as well.

The Corinthian expansion looks like super fun. Yeah, Queen of the Black Coast is one of the absolute top tier Conan stories, not to be missed. I had always had trouble visualizing the winged ape and this mold does it justice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Sanchez
msg tools
Mike B Canada wrote:
Gungo wrote:

Why would you want to miss out on all the extras you get from a reasonably priced core game though. Thats just odd. I mean look at everything you get that won't be in the retail.
You could print out a Spartoi tile if thats all you want, it's a fake but its your game so whats it matter.
because I have no interest in a draft format versus gameplay board game with only a handful of decent looking models and I can buy the coreboardgame cheaper at retail from 25% off online retailers and NONE of the stretch goals have anything to do with Conan or fit in Conan visually or thematically.

I would have been happier with a pure Corinthian set that included 10x hoplites, 5 Spartans, 5 archers, 3 infernal archers, 1 namean lion, 1 dragon of Thebes, 1 snake man... The two main board game tiles and maybe the medusa and the 2 serpent pillars from the Hera set. Unfortunately most of the above stretch goals don't have Conan tiles and the stuff that does doesn't fit in Conan such as the hydra. The winged ape is great and all but probably shouldn't have been a mythic battle exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have two choices. Buy this KS and keep the Winged Ape and any cross overs and sell the rest on eBay - or - wait and buy on eBay. What to do..What to do..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Sanchez
msg tools
jetewabbie wrote:
So I have two choices. Buy this KS and keep the Winged Ape and any cross overs and sell the rest on eBay - or - wait and buy on eBay. What to do..What to do..

To be fair mythic battles posted in the comments today that if they have enough Conan backers ask for it they will create a Conan only pledge that includes only Conan related content.

I would love this however I have no idea how to communicate yes to this.
Just send me a pure Corinthian box with the two board tiles, 15x villagers, 5x hoplites(troops), 3x Spartans(blocker troops),3x infernal archers(ranged AoE), namean lion, Flying monkey and the snake guy (leader) and maybe medusa or the 2x snake pillars in hera set. Charge me $50 because that as much as any expansion content.

And mythic battles want our Thaug model to be there kraken. So I say let them have it just make us a Conan box!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the impression some expected a Conan expansion instead of crossover addon, with all the problems that follow from that assumption.

It's a different game in mechanic and theme, so the overlap without duplicating stuff is limited. And since the addon is part of MB's ks it's no wonder that it also has relate to the own project.

crossover stuff always has the best value if you intend to use both games, otherwise it's almost always a limited value deal. The Conan RPG crossover stuff had the same issue value-wise, although they had it easier since it was the same universe - so theme and flair were basically the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.