Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Tanswell
United Kingdom
Hedon
Humberside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I love the look of this game, I like the idea or a turn based objective along with an end game objective... but... I tend to play my games 2 player with my wife, I can count on a single hand how many games I have had with others that ain't my 9yr old daughter (doesn't seem appropriate for a 9 yr old to learn the betrayal mechanic)

Now as much as I do enjoy the theme it's not a sticker but for a 2 player game would you still recommend DoW? If not do you have anything with a similar feel that would work better with 2.

My wife likes the look of it as she enjoys zombicide but I've explained despite zombies it's not a zombicide style game.

If I can snap this up at a good price if it's still decent with 2 I will but if a better alternative is available I'd be happy to look into that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would sincerely suggest you do not get this game with the intent to play it with only 2 players. I find most of the replayability and strategy comes from not knowing if you have a betrayer in your midst. 2 player is always completely coop, however, and you lose most of the best features of the game.

As for suggestions, I don't have any. Thematically it is a survival game and mechanically it is a resource management game with emergent narrative elements.

The closest I can recommend from games I have experience playing would be Eldritch Horror as you have the coop elements, the resource management (and peril checks), and characters with well-drawn back story with unique abilities. However, it is not at all a zombie game, though it is a bit on the horrific side. It also includes an objective that is a long-term goal with interspersed minor goals you must meet on the way. They are all group goals though and do not provide "personal" benchmarks or objectives short of your individual encounters on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with soakman, and would not recommend it unless you get it for a killer deal. Which may start to happen with the release of the new version.

I would, however, recommend the game to the point of suggesting that you find another couple to play it with. That would be the best solution. But to each their own.

As for a suggestion otherwise? ... I would maybe suggest Salvation Road. It is a post-apocalyptic, but non-zombie game that plays much quicker, and plays well with 2. If zombies are a necessity then I guess pass on this. However, I believe it gives the same feel of that panicked, "are we going to make it" sensation. It isn't as pretty, or in depth as DoW. The replay-ability is probably below-average to average at best. But there is some there. There are some optional scenarios you can "spice up" the game with found in the back of the rule book, but I have not used any of them.

Anyway it was the first thing that popped into my mind as an alternative. So take it for what it is worth. Just look into in before taking this suggestion as being a good choice for you and your situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanswell
United Kingdom
Hedon
Humberside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for the in depth replys, it's a bit disappointing as I love the idea of the game but I already have eldritch horror so I know how good that is

If I see either version of game at a bargain price I'll maybe snap it up to have should we get chance to game with more but it will go to the bottom of my wanted list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manduke manduke
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have to respecfully disagree with those steering you away from DoW as a 2-player game. Sure, not having a betrayer takes away a fun aspect of the game, but the game is not just the betrayal element. This a complex game with many objectives and hurdles to overcome. Plus, the two player objectives are harder than the regular objectives. I have not found it to be the case that without a betrayer, the game becomes easy and boring. This is a complex game with a lot going on (especially with the two games mixed together): zombies, experimental super zombies, raiders, improvements, cool weapons, interesting characters trying to get from point A to point B without getting bitten, and oh god, we're running low on food again. My wife and I have enjoyed our many two player games quite a lot. I have even (this is blasphemy) enjoyed playing the game many times solo using the two player rules but controlling everything myself. Even solo, those darn zombies have beaten me, but I've had a good time. My two cents: buy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points Manduke. I just feel he shouldn't pay a high price for it, and suggest he wait for a good sale price. It's like buying a toy you can't fully play with or fully experience. But yes it can still be fun. I even wrote my own solo variant for this game (A Mother's Love). So I have played it with all of the different group sizes. I just feel if you are never going to play with more than 2 it is kind of a waste, and a shame really.

Like playing Codenames with 4 all the time, not real great, but it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lumpfuggit wrote:

We mostly play Codenames with 4. Is it better with 6 or 8?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerod
United States
Mount Vernon
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
Lumpfuggit wrote:

We mostly play Codenames with 4. Is it better with 6 or 8?

Yes MUCH better in my opinion.

Edit: You have larger teams obviously and you have differing opinions on what the clues could mean. It also opens up much more discussion naturally. With 4 there is nobody to confer with. The game just becomes much more dynamic and interesting. Also, if you play with the same 4 people you start to know each others tendencies. In 6-8 player games you usually have a different mix of people each session. Sometimes others can help steer you in the right direction, other times they lead your team astray. Not on purpose mind you (there is no betrayer in Codenames... yet lol)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david harris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've played it twice now as a two player and twice as a four player. the two player teams won both games, but some mistakes were made. I feel that the overall experience was better with four but the game is still very playable and enjoyable as a two player, bearing in mind that it will always be as a co-op and the betrayer does add quite a bit to the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.