Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Opinions on Playermat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
Hi, i'm currently designing a game in wich each player uses a playermat for each character he or she is controlling... so the playermat looks like this:

so, what do you think?
the most a player can control is 3 characters at once (in a 1vs1 game) so i think its when players are going to use more space, the playermat is 17" wide... a 2vs2 game has each player controlling 2 characters (so in a 2vs2 game is the maximum characters on game at the same time), and 3vs3 games has each player using a single character... 4vs4 isbeing considered since the components are there, but not sure...

by now that's how i have it... and the spaces presented in the mat are all the things a character can have during a game...
opinions and suggestions to make it a little bit more compact would be apreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Pitiot
Finland
flag msg tools
How about a cake break!
badge
How about a cake break!
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you would make them smaller or somehow arrange the information in a more compact way, I don't think that size is the main issue. Keeping track of 3 separate characters is often too much for players. I play regularly Descent and people sometimes struggle with 2 characters and no-one ever wants to have 3 characters.

If you say that everything from the game goes on those mats and that each player controls only one character, then I do not think that the size is an issue.

Or an alternative you can consider is not to have each character separate. Keep only one mat, even when controlling multiple characters and have the resources shared. Would that work with your game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Yeah man, looking at the various things you have on one playmat, when you multiple that with 3, seams like a lot of management.

I remember when playing solo Shadows of Brimstone (might not be a good comparison) with 3 characters, there were situations where it took me lots of time to deal with their rolls, card effects and items. I would sometimes overlook some things due to large management issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the biggest issue with the mat is the number of things that can get knocked out of place when you need to change "mid cooldown." So I'd consider splitting it. The seven spots on the left ( armor, weapons, tokens, ordinance, perks) seem like character management - things that are only going to change sometimes when certain cards are played, while the six on the right (cooldowns, turn actions, and ready) seem like action management and will be changing every turn. I also don't think you need a space on the mat for the deck since all the other spaces are one card deep; just standardize where it's placed with relation to the mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
jbrecken wrote:
I'd say the biggest issue with the mat is the number of things that can get knocked out of place when you need to change "mid cooldown." So I'd consider splitting it. The seven spots on the left ( armor, weapons, tokens, ordinance, perks) seem like character management - things that are only going to change sometimes when certain cards are played, while the six on the right (cooldowns, turn actions, and ready) seem like action management and will be changing every turn. I also don't think you need a space on the mat for the deck since all the other spaces are one card deep; just standardize where it's placed with relation to the mat.

thanks, actually the "deck" is the player's hand for that character.. it could be in their hand but it is a small deck, around 20 cards, and i'm not sure if it's easy to keep in hand...

regarding the other spaces, i'm currently writing the rules (in spanish by now) probably going to finish them this week and translate them a day after, so i'll publish them in this trade so people can have a clearer idea
by now i can tell you that turn action can go to your hand or one of the cooldown places (depends on the card). at the beginning of each character's turn, it moves each card in the cooldown area from high to mid, mid to low, low to ready, and ready to hand. at the end of each character's turn it moves the "next turn's action" to "turn action"
perks, armor, ordnance, and weapon dont change unless you purchase one of those... and the "tokens" are is changed now to be "Class" where you put the wound, broken shield, and deploy tokens... each weapon has ammo tokens that go on them and are used when fired... and i think that's it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just some brainstorming:

* Dedicated space for tokens/ordinance not needed - they can be placed on any free space or on the card they are for
* Instead of 3 spaces for the cooldown, just make a single stack of cards - the top 2 (or the top x) are the ones that are off cooldown.
* If you really need to dilineate cooldown, you can have divider cards you slip into that one stack for each level. When you draw off the top, you draw until the divider, and then move the divider to the bottom.
* divider cards could be slightly bigger allowing you to easily access a specific cooldown section
* Similar simplification can be done to the action spaces: single stack, top one is the ready action
* No need for a track for life and shield - could replace with 2d10, a slider/dial, wound tokens etc

Anyway doesn't look too bad honestly, except the cooldown/next action might be ta tiny bit fiddly and take up more space than it needs to. I feel like I could control 3 characters pretty easily in this amount of space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
saluk wrote:
Just some brainstorming:

* Dedicated space for tokens/ordinance not needed - they can be placed on any free space or on the card they are for
* Instead of 3 spaces for the cooldown, just make a single stack of cards - the top 2 (or the top x) are the ones that are off cooldown.
* If you really need to dilineate cooldown, you can have divider cards you slip into that one stack for each level. When you draw off the top, you draw until the divider, and then move the divider to the bottom.
* divider cards could be slightly bigger allowing you to easily access a specific cooldown section
* Similar simplification can be done to the action spaces: single stack, top one is the ready action
* No need for a track for life and shield - could replace with 2d10, a slider/dial, wound tokens etc

Anyway doesn't look too bad honestly, except the cooldown/next action might be ta tiny bit fiddly and take up more space than it needs to. I feel like I could control 3 characters pretty easily in this amount of space.

thank you, it is really helpful
i had considered dice, but it would add too much to the costs i think, the game already needs 8d6, having then 16d10 (at max) would be too much (2 per character, maximum 2 character for 4 players each)
and that cooldown mechanic sounds good, i'll think about that too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.