A.J Sinett
msg tools
Me and my cousin primarily get groups of friends together to make one big board game group. The only problem is my group likes more story driven, co-op, adventure games (Mice and Mystics, Ghost Stories, Pandemic,and we REALLY want Robinson Crusoe) and my cousin's friend group likes strategy heavy games (pit, Catania, ticket to Ride, Risk). Without saying to just split up into different groups, are there any games that can mix best of both worlds. We're both willing to sacrifice some parts of each other's genre if it means finding a good game. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gonzalez
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnetslayer wrote:
Me and my cousin primarily get groups of friends together to make one big board game group. The only problem is my group likes more story driven, co-op, adventure games (Mice and Mystics, Ghost Stories, Pandemic,and we REALLY want Robinson Crusoe) and my cousin's friend group likes strategy heavy games (pit, Catania, ticket to Ride, Risk). Without saying to just split up into different groups, are there any games that can mix best of both worlds. We're both willing to sacrifice some parts of each other's genre if it means finding a good game. Thank you!

I don't think of Catan, Ticket to Ride, or Risk as particularly strategy-heavy (if anything, those three in particular have a very large luck element...). It sounds more like you mean that your cousin's group likes CONFLICT games without a story, while your group likes story-based co-ops. One possibility would be Cosmic Encounter, where you are sort of building a story out of the combination of races in each game and the partnerships that are made and broken as you go along.... It involves socializing and (especially) negotiating, but that can't be so bad if they like Catan....

It's worth a shot! And it can hold up to 8 with expansions (5 out of the box).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Above & Below's a solid choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It sounds like your group likes more thematic, cooperative games which are a bit heavier (closer to 3.0 on BGG) while your cousin's group is more into competitive games which are a bit lighter (closer to a 2.0). As a compromise, you may want to take a look at Shadows over Camelot

It's right around a 2.5 for complexity, it is semi-cooperative (hopefully a compromise between your two groups preferences), and your group may enjoy the more thematic aspects. It accommodates 7 players out of the box and up to 8 with an expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McNamara
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
In another time, forgotten space...
badge
Roll away, the dew...
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Above and Below. It is light, but still has enough strategic choices to make it worthwhile. And the stories in the book also give choices that are directly influenced by other things you have collected during the game. Sounds like this is right in the sweet spot for your group, A.J.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever tried Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game? It's a semi-co-op, everyone has a secret mission they are trying to accomplish alongside the main mission, and one person also might be a traitor trying to take everyone down! It's super thematic - the game starts with a passage of text related to the current mission, and every turn "crossroad cards" may or may not be triggered - which also tell a story.

It totally strategy heavy too, the time to complete the missions is tight, and because of the secret missions you are free to make your own decisions on your turn without arousing TOO much suspicion.

You don't say how many players you have but it takes up to 5. You can also choose between short, medium and long missions so it can last between 45 mins up to 3-4 hours!

I really enjoy this game and I'd pick strategy heavy games over co-op story driven games any day, so hopefully this strikes the balance between your groups! Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechs vs. Minions has an overarching story connecting the ten missions. You could enhance the story by listening to the radio play in MvM website.

Dungeon Petz does not have a particular story but I find each game is thematic, trying to raise pets and sell them to various dungeon lords.

Edit: Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases and Mythos Tales are great story-driven coop, if you are interested in deduction games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Weber
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started looking into a slew of games coming in 2017 with a similar goal. The following may fit your need in one way or another. However I don't think any of them are out right now. These are mostly co-op dungeon crawl fantasy type games. They also have campaign or legacy aspects

The 7th Continent - #1 most anticipated right now
Gloomhaven - #2 most anticipated
Shadows of Brimstone - only one on the list that is available at retail.
Siege of the Citadel
Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift
Middara
Sword and Sorcery

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.