Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Changes coming to Medicaid program rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Hall
msg tools
I read the article, and will search for more information, but at first blush, I am not a fan. Reducing the amount of money going into it means fewer doctors will accept Medicaid patients, and the number of physicians to refuse service to Medicaid/Medicare patients is growing, mainly because they feel the government is shorting them on how much they pay for procedures, office visits, etc. But this is the new reality.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/21/news/economy/medicaid-trump/...

As usual, I'm the government will tell us what the government always tell us: "The plans we got here, why, they're gonna make the economy explode ... EXPLODE, I TELL YA, EXPLODE!! ... and we're all gonna be living in mansions and making a million dollars an hour, so cutting the funding for programs that help the poor, well hell, honey, ain't gonna be no more poor in a month or so, 'cause we're gonna make the economy EXPLODE!!!"

Meh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we stop paying for old people first?

Can we just eat them?

Let's cut funding for the poor, meanwhile let's keep subsidizing people who have the means to pay for their own health care.

God bless America.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if old people are going to be idiots and vote for for people who were openly saying they were going to cut medicaid before the election and replace it with tax deductable plans (not much help if you are living on social security), then old people kinda deserve it.

I'm glad it lasted long enough for my mom.

As I said in another thread, it seems like a dumb move on the part of republcans to cut benefits for one of their core constituencies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Republicans do this they will lose by a landslide in 2 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
Well, if old people are going to be idiots and vote for for people who were openly saying they were going to cut medicaid before the election and replace it with tax deductable plans (not much help if you are living on social security), then old people kinda deserve it.

As I said in another thread, it seems like a dumb move on the part of republcans to cut benefits for one of their core constituencies.

You're mixing up Medicare (heathcare for the elderly) and Medicaid (healthcare for the very poor and disabled).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
"You cannot let people die on the street, ok?," [Trump] said at a CNN town hall in February. "The problem is that everybody thinks that you people, as Republicans, hate the concept of taking care of people that are really, really sick and are gonna die. We gotta take care of people that can't take care of themselves."

I agree with this. Healthcare is an inelastic demand, that is, if you need it, you'll pay anything or do anything to get it. You'll walk into a hospital and not pay your bill if necessary. But it's also a very technical business that lay people cannot make good market decisions on; they can figure out that a bottle of patent medicine is cheaper than going to a clinic, but they cannot generally evaluate effectiveness.

The question is how to supply healthcare most efficiently. If you can treat a cut with a band-aid and some Neosporin at a clinic or by a school nurse for $20, great. If it gets infected and needs to be cleaned out plus a bottle of antibiotics for $200, not so good. If it gets seriously infected and needs to be surgically cleaned in a hospital with a surgeon, surgical nurses, anesthesiologist, IV antibiotics, etc. you're well over $2000. If it gets gangrenous and the limb has to be amputated with a prosthesis and physical therapy, you're talking a very bad result, and one that probably substantially reduces that person's future contribution to the economy--that could be tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars. Or more.

And, yes, that is realistic: it happened to an uninsured friend.

Pay a little soon or a lot later.
__

The problem with leaving it to the States is that some States will use the money for political purposes. Trusting politicians to do the right thing is even more often a bad move than trusting bureaucrats to do the right thing. One reason is that politicians are usually legally immune from prosecution for doing something stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skyguard wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

You're mixing up Medicare (heathcare for the elderly) and Medicaid (healthcare for the very poor and disabled).

Thank you.

Well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
If Republicans do this they will lose by a landslide in 2 years.

hardly the people dumb enough to vote republicans in are dumb enough to fall for its still all obhamas fault in 2 years time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.