Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Recommend me, light wargame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Pearce
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ok, looking for a light wargame for non-wargamer, board-gamer friends.

Players 3-4
Time 120 minutes

Don't mind the era and fantasy / sci fi are fine to. A nice aesthetic would help (so blocks etc are all good), We play as group of 3 or 4 so preferably one that works for 3 would be good. And needs to be available.

By light i mean something i can easily teach in one sitting

Suggest me something!

many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops. It may be out of print, but there are plenty of copies available in the marketplace. I think that the first edition with the translucent pieces is the best, but that's a matter of preference.

I't probably shorter than what you're looking for. I think that it's more of a 90 minute game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cry Havoc might suit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Pearce
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thanks, less than 2 hours is fine, longer not so fine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
Nexus Ops. It may be out of print, but there are plenty of copies available in the marketplace. I think that the first edition with the translucent pieces is the best, but that's a matter of preference.

I't probably shorter than what you're looking for. I think that it's more of a 90 minute game.

Doubling down on this one. SUPER fun to play and goes multiplayer up to 4 easily. Quick to learn and teach so the time from unboxing to playing is usually around 30 minutes. It's just a fantastic game which is why it's lasted so long and always ends up on these kinds of inquiries.

I'd go with Blood Rage as well if you like Nexus Ops. The card drafting and clan mechanics make this one incredibly high for replay value as well. You're in direct conflict from the get go and as far as area control goes, Blood Rage does a great job of rewarding strategic and tactical play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim allen
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on how light you want to go, but it you want real light (but still a heck of alot of fun) for up to 5 players, there is Risk 2210.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my direct experience with my FLGS group:

1944: Race to the Rhine and expansion

Nexus Ops (seconded, and the FFG edition is still in print)

They Come Unseen

Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game

Talon (up to 4 ok, more it will risk running a bit too fragmented)

Wings for the Baron (second edition) (ok, more an economics game with a war theme, but outstanding nonetheless)

Edit: added Talon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donkey Popsicle
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cry Havoc has a really clever battle system. I'm not sure that it actually models anything in the consim sense, but it's a fun head-to-head puzzle anyway. I worry that each of the races ultimately has one optimal strategy no matter what anyone else does, but I haven't played it enough to determine that yet. Plus I know the designer, and he's good people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate you calling me "light," but I don't know any of your skills or qualifications!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Künzle
Germany
Rostock
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1775: Rebellion or 1812: The Invasion of Canada. Both are on the very light side of wargaming. They take more time than 120 minutes but look very nice and are a ton of fun with a beer in your hand. Then there are few things that are not fun with a beer in your hand.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizard Kings might be right up your alley. It's a block game, but the nice thing about it is that it accommodates more than two players. Most block games are two player games.

There are several factions to choose from and it's up-gradable in the form of Wizard Kings: Expansion Armies and Wizard Kings: Expansion Maps. In fact, if you decide to go for it, I would strongly suggest buying several of the expansion army sets and the maps as well. Each kit has a unique set of expansion blocks, so you can customise your armies and tackle more different scenarios and situations.

The main downside to that is the increase cash outlay to really get going with the system, but well worth it in terms of variety and quantity of unit types.

There's a fairly strong community of players, I believe, so you should be able to find support and encouragement easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Quartermaster General – Victory or Death: The Peloponnesian War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wolf90 (Drew)
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm obviously quite biased, but I think one of the best "entry" war-games is Ogre. Tons of strategy with very simple gameplay. Plus, the less experienced player can play the Ogre, thus only needing to worry about one unit.

If interested, please check out the Kickstarter for Ogre Minis going on now. There is an option to purchase the base game as well. The base scenario is best as 2-player, but there are plenty of other scenarios that work really well as 3-player ("Mark IIIs Attacking" and "Ogre Defending" come to mind). Plus in "Duel" you can put as many Ogres on the map as you want!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/ogre-miniatur...

LOTS of war-gamers will fondly remember this game as their start down the dark path of gaming!

Drew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Pearce
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some great suggestions, i've gone and ordered Warfighter as the group likes card games and i can always play is solo

Also strong consideration to 1775:Rebellion or 1812:Invasion.... and Nexus ops / Cry Havoc as well....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Wings of Glory: WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack.Though you will need 2 duel packs to go with the ruleset and be careful not to order the Devir spanish language version (or german,french for that matter)!

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game is more readily available.Its based somewhat on the Wings of glory system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
macedon wrote:
Maybe Wings of Glory: WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack.Though you will need 2 duel packs to go with the ruleset and be careful not to order the Devir spanish language version (or german,french for that matter)!

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game is more readily available.Its based somewhat on the Wings of glory system.

Actually be extremely careful withWings of Glory: WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack as Amazon Uk are showing a spanish version on sale from a UK based shop.I speak from bitter experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
macedon wrote:
macedon wrote:

Actually be extremely careful withWings of Glory: WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack as Amazon Uk are showing a spanish version on sale from a UK based shop.I speak from bitter experience.

Does the game not work in Spanish? Do you turn izquierdo when you meant to go derecho? What's the deal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules are in Spanish. I found rules online and use counters but it is messy.I already have Wings of War: Famous Aces but wanted to use my 2 seater models.

Games for sale on Uk websites should be clearly marked if in foreign language. Not like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wings-Glory-Rules-Accessories-Pack/....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Kehoe
United Kingdom
St Clement
Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis and Allies. Great Classic.
Axis & Allies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
1775: Rebellion is great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim allen
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur. I hear the 1812 version is good too but I have yet to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Manoeuvre fits your bill. Although I think of it as a war themed euro rather than a proper wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
1775: Rebellion is great game.

Yep. Fits the bill on all points the OP made.

Try it out on the iPad or PC on Steam. But the boardgame has even more beautiful graphics.

It is one of those games that get better while playing more. At first I thought the game was mediocre, but after half a dozen plays it keeps growing on you.

Always a sign of an excellent design 1775: Rebellion and NOT a hex/counter game which means it lures in more non wargamers. Teaching is 10 minutes tops.

Review here: https://boardgamegeek.com/video/40147/1775-rebellion/driveth...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grognard wrote:
Manoeuvre fits your bill. Although I think of it as a war themed euro rather than a proper wargame.

Manoeuvre is the shizz!!! And it may be on the abstract side, but it's definitely a "proper wargame."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Global Nomad
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
The 16th century São João Baptista, also known as Botafogo (Spitfire) was a Portuguese galleon warship considered the most powerful warship in the world at the time.
mbmbmbmbmb

3 players
Maria

4 players

Friedrich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.