Patchwork» Forums » General

Subject: Tiles don't fit together rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karen Reznik
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi. I just got this game recently and noticed a lot of the tiles do not fit together. Meaning that when they should fit together like a jigsaw puzzle, one tile will only fit on top of the other since it's too big. Does anyone else have this problem and is there a fix (possibly replacement tiles)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a problem with tiles and though they fit rather well they are precision cut to the micro-inth but otherwise fit pretty well.

Do your pieces not fit at all or just not perfectly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have a problem with fitting the leather tiles inside the H shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sharingiskaren wrote:
Hi. I just got this game recently and noticed a lot of the tiles do not fit together. Meaning that when they should fit together like a jigsaw puzzle, one tile will only fit on top of the other since it's too big. Does anyone else have this problem and is there a fix (possibly replacement tiles)?

Not a problem in my copy. Can you be more precise in your description of the amount of interference? In other words, by how much is the fit off? Can you force them together? Are they just a little snug?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some can be tight, but mine loosened up after a few plays. You could also shim a little off the inside edges with a shard blade, but I think you'll be better off with normal wear and tear expanding those tight pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Reznik
United States
California
flag msg tools
grant5 wrote:
sharingiskaren wrote:

Not a problem in my copy. Can you be more precise in your description of the amount of interference? In other words, by how much is the fit off? Can you force them together? Are they just a little snug?

I wish I could find the two that were the worst culprits but I cannot force them together. About half are very snug and with most of them I can flip one over to make them fit, but the problem is when I have three or more fitting together so can't keep flipping them. I hope that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we find tiles that don't mesh correctly, we can usually flip one of them over, and that seems to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Blanchard
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I Wonder If There's Beer On The Sun.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have this problem with my copy. It's mostly just with pieces that have a pocket in them. I can flip them to make them fit but it's still tight and they get stuck together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Use an emory board to very lightly sand down the tight piece. Problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sharingiskaren wrote:

I wish I could find the two that were the worst culprits but I cannot force them together. About half are very snug and with most of them I can flip one over to make them fit, but the problem is when I have three or more fitting together so can't keep flipping them. I hope that makes sense.

I had the same problem with the set we got my daughter for Christmas. My daughter does not want me to cut or sand her game, in case I damage the pieces. I made a short call to the publisher, but I followed up with a lengthy email to the publisher after they requested additional info so they could contact their manufacturer. Spare pieces are currently out of stock and on order.

Here are some images and part of my email to Mayfair for comparison, Karen:

Quote:
I recently purchased a copy of Patchwork for my daughter for Christmas. When we opened it, my daughter and I were both having trouble playing the game because the pieces were poorly cut. You could force some together, displacing all other pieces in the process, and we could not even force some other pieces together. Please see the pictures at the end of this email as examples of the problem.

. . .

The worst fitting areas exist where one piece is supposed to "interlock" with another, like the pictures below of the "H" and the "T." The "T" can sit on top of the "H," but doesn't interlock with it.

I have found that sometimes pieces fit together if you turn one upside down. The reason this occurs is that the edges of many of the pieces are cut at a slight angle instead of straight up and down, making one face of the piece narrower and the opposite face wider. If you think about nesting a stack of plastic cups, you will understand the result; the narrow end can enter a wide end, but the wide end cannot be inserted in another wide end.

Other pieces, like some of the 1 x 1 squares, do not even fit well if they are inverted. They are just too wide.

This unfortunately makes the game a nuisance to play instead of a pleasure because it makes it much more likely that the whole "quilt" will come apart when you add a new piece. I would appreciate any assistance that you could offer us.

Lee Valentine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yes, I am having the same problem with the copy I just ordered off of Amazon. I'll be contacting the game publisher to request a replacement copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, they told me they'd contact me when a new batch came on. I'm not holding my breath. It has been over a month since they said that.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.