15 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: Pace of Play Question (Potential Spoilers: Box 1-3) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Sturm
msg tools
Spoiler (click to reveal)
What is the average length of games (in terms of turns not in terms of gameplay time) people are experiencing? I am in a three-player campaign that is six games in, and we have reached winter in exactly two of those games. We've also only unlocked three of the six boxes, which based on some other threads seems to be on the slow side. I don't know if it's us focusing more on maximizing glory than others or what. I'm pretty sure it's not a rules mistake on our part, we've definitely taken the time both reading the rules and reading these forums to make sure we're playing right. But between the building and the abilities we've unlocked that don't activate until winters, I feel like it's really odd that we've only seen two of them.

Basic summary of our games so far:

Game One: This one made it all the way to winter, as I think we were still getting the hang of what can get glory most efficiently. Ended in seven turns on a milestone gain.

Game Two: It was a race to see who could raid the explored highest defense site and complete the unlock milestone first. The guy who went all in on it had a terrible roll, so the guy who then did it had the additional resources to follow it up with a second milestone a couple turns later and locked up the game in 4-5 turns.

Game Three: Thanks to the newly unlocked ability to get crazy glory off of finding new islands, and the chasm that left for the players uninterested in that to go for the plethora of new milestones that came out, we all gained glory at a torrid pace. Probably another five turn game.

Game 4: One player found the first Tomb of the Ancients and I was able to immediately jump in and explore it, taking no damage, netting eight glory in a single turn. And this was probably turn 2. Game didn't last too long after that.

Game 5: We unlocked the colony box pretty early this game, but since it told us to wait until end of game, we had pretty much dried up on milestones, I had closed the only found tomb in game 5, and it was going to be a race of who could use the games core mechanics most efficiently. I may have won on turn 6 but lost 2 glory points when my building site with the extra modifier was raided. Ended up losing to a 4-5 glory new island find on the last turn. This was like an 8-9 turn game.

Game 6: On the first turn, I explored a skull site. My reward was 50 gold, 3 glory+1 glory for exploring. Then that put me at 60 gold which hit a 4 glory milestone. So I was halfway to the end glory with 50 gold at the ready. Game didn't last long after that...

I don't know if it's a result purely of my two crazy glory turns that is giving us this impression, or if the pace of play is just faster than those building and abilities that reference winters lead you to believe. But I would love to hear others' experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
huskie322 wrote:
Game 6: On the first turn, I explored a skull site. My reward was 50 gold, 3 glory+1 glory for exploring. Then that put me at 60 gold which hit a 4 glory milestone. So I was halfway to the end glory with 50 gold at the ready. Game didn't last long after that...

How could you possibly explore a skull site on turn 1? It's at least six spaces from your starting province, likely more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Sturm
msg tools
The advisor that gives +3 sail to my ships along with a boosted up to +5 explore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group's only had one game that ended before the first winter, when someone kept a powerful advisor to make an early game play that netted multiple milestones. (Yes, I know you can only claim one milestone per turn; he claimed one on round 4 and the other on round 5) But we're playing with five players, so each individual player has fewer milestones and other big Glory opportunities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But

The Wind Master is Sail +2, not +3.

One thing that does seem to vary quite a bit between groups is how good the advisers are. Some groups unlock very strong upgrades and use them to make very strong advisers. Others don't have such strong combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Sturm
msg tools
The Windmaster is Sail +2, the Helmsman is Sail +3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kerr
United States
arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

We're on around game 7 and I think all but the intro game have ended on turn 6 or 7, playing 4 player. I also thought the winter would figure more prominently in the game, but not so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Beeson

West Virginia
msg tools
Its the sky writers' code!
badge
I am so sick of that damn code!
mbmbmbmbmb
My four player group is also on game 7. We usually have two winters per game. We are a peaceful group and don't do a lot of raiding. Instead we rely on exploration, building and upgrades to generate glory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're averaging 7-8 turns a game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1: 6 rounds (just before winter)
2: 7 Rounds (just after first winter)
3: 13 rounds (just after second winter)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:

1: 6 rounds (just before winter)
2: 7 Rounds (just after first winter)
3: 13 rounds (just after second winter)

7 rounds would be after the 2nd winter, and 13 rounds would be after the 3rd winter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of our (post-prologue) games have been 7-8 turns long. One was only 6 turns, for the same reasons as Ethan's Game 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Keith
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Our games have been going steadily down in length. I think we had one game go to round 11, but the last 3 games were round 7, round 6 and round 5.

It's a huge problem in terms of getting a specific milestone that takes a lot of turns to pull off, and it also makes winter-based effects potentially meaningless.

I can't imagine it was the intention of the designer to only sometimes have an in-game winter phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Talaric
msg tools
Our 5 player game is 5 games in. Thus far we've had:

Game 1: 7 turns (2nd winter + 1 turn)
Game 2: 8 turns (2nd winter + 2 turns)
Game 3: 9 turns (2nd winter + 3 turns)
Game 4: 7 turns (2nd winter + 1 turn)
Game 5: 7 turns (2nd winter + 1 turn)

Average of 7.6 turns per game.

I think our games are going much more quickly in games 4 and 5 due to:
Tombs being unlocked at the end of game 3, and the massive glory swings that allow players to get more glory in a single turn as a result.

Although time-wise these games are just right for our group (all games have taken between 1.5 to 3 hours), everyone is typically left wishing we had a few more turns each game. Although we've never made it that far, our feeling is games ending right after the 3rd winter (about 13 turns) would be more fulfilling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsquared025 wrote:
Although time-wise these games are just right for our group (all games have taken between 1.5 to 3 hours), everyone is typically left wishing we had a few more turns each game. Although we've never made it that far, our feeling is games ending right after the 3rd winter (about 13 turns) would be more fulfilling.

^^ This.

Before release, the design team was saying that the average game would be between two and three game-years long (ie, 12-18 turns). I think that the game would feel "more complete" with that many turns (as opposed to the typical 8 turn game we've been having) -- though as you said, I think our play time per game is about right as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.