Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Madsen
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I let my game be viewed and played by another person they told me that there just wasn't enough variety to inspire anyone to want to play it a second time. Ever since then I have spent a lot of time overhauling my game and I believe I have gotten it to a point where a lack of variety isn't an issue. I'd like to share what the setup for my game would be like with the hope that reading it would give you (the reader) a sense of how much variety the game has. If you have the time to read through the entire setup, I would appreciate any feedback on if you feel there is enough variety in my game.

The genre of the game could be considered a dungeon crawler and the scenario that we will be setting up is the normal game mode. I hope to include at least 5 scenarios or game modes in the final version of the game.

Game Board Setup:
-Without looking, randomly select 7 location tiles (out of 20+ available) and place them face down in a pile. Gather the 5 generic location tiles and shuffle them together with the 7 tiles you just selected to create one stack of location tiles.
-Find the "Home" location tile and place it face up in the middle of your playing area.
-Take the stack of location tiles you just made and flip over the top tile connecting one of its edges with an open roadway, to any other tile that has an edge with an open roadway. Continue this step until you have emptied the stack of location tiles. This is the city you will be playing in.
-Find the deck of loot cards and place it near the game board.
-Find the deck of rare loot cards and place it near the game board.
-Without looking, randomly select side missions equal to the number of players plus 2 (out of 13+) and place them face down near the game board.
-Randomly select a global mission equal to the number of players (out of 7+) and place it face up near the game board.
-Without looking, Randomly select 2 boss monsters (out of 12+) and place them face down near the game board.
-Gather up the 30 location tokens, 2 boss monster location tokens, and the portal token.
-Place a different letter token on each of the face down side missions then find the matching letter token for each mission and add them to the other location tokens.
-Make sure all tokens are face down and shuffled up very well, then take the tokens and place 5 of them on each location tile (not including the 5 generic location tiles and the "Home" location tile).
-If there are any leftover tokens, place one on each generic location tile until there are no more location tokens.

Creating the Location Deck:
-Without looking, randomly select 15 horde cards (from a deck of 30+ horde variations) and place them face down to start the location deck.
-Without looking, randomly select 5 mini boss cards (out of 10+) and place them face down on top of the 15 horde cards.
-Without looking, randomly select 10 event cards (out of 20+) and place them face down on the location deck.
-Without looking, randomly select 4 loot cards (out of 65+ that can be purchased during gameplay) and place them face down on the location deck.
-Without looking, randomly select 1 rare loot card (out of 35+ that can be purchased during gameplay) and place it face down on the location deck.
-Shuffle the deck together very well.
-Take the top half of the location deck and shuffle "The Book" card into it then place those cards back on top of the location deck.
-Place the location deck near the game board.

Character Setup:
-Each player selects one character out of 5 available (Farmer, Party Magician, Trapper, Musician, and League of Fighters) and gathers up that characters unique player board and unique deck of cards.
-Set your characters stats by using the suggested stat setup in the rule book or manually.
-When setting your character stats manually you get 10 points to apply towards your characters stats, which are: health, resource, physical, and mental. You may also convert stat points into gold and shields. The only restriction to setting your character stats manually is that at least one stat point has to be applied to health.
-Select a trait for your character by picking one of 9 double sided trait cards for a total of 18 available traits. (The trait you select will level up and unlock more and more abilities as the game progresses.)
-Finally, select one of the starting gear cards from the loot deck and equip it to the proper area of your character board (head gear, left arm, right arm, and body gear). Shuffle the loot deck and place it back near the game board.
-Place your character standee on the "Home" location tile and you are ready to play.

These setup instructions are obviously not going to be the final version, but thank you for reading through them and thank you in advance for any help you give.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brettell
Australia
South Turramurra
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

First of all, I wouldn't necessarily make a huge bunch of changes based on one person's opinion. Of course, if that opinion makes sense to you, and you agree with it then naturally do so. But if not, I'd get a couple more opinions in.

I had a skim through your instructions and can see there's a lot of randomness in terms of the cards that will come up. However, replayability is not just based on something being different - its that they need to lead to some different sorts of decisions. If one card says you need to roll 5 or more on a dice, and another says you need to roll 3 or more, then even though that's different, the decision process is the same.

They need to feel like different games - tell a different story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do I win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.