Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I saw a picture for Solitaire (sometimes known as Peg Solitaire) at the bottom of the BGG home page. "Wait...that's solitaire? They have that listed on BGG?"

If you've never seen Peg Solitaire, it is typically a good woodcrafter project of a staple at Cracker Barrel. There's a pattern of holes (sometimes in a cross shape, sometimes a triangle, sometimes others) and pawns that go in the holes (marbles or golf tees are common) with one hole left empty. The player then jumps a piece -- only over one adjacent pawn into an empty space. The piece that you jumped over is removed so now you have two empty spaces. The objective is to continue until there is only one pawn left. One of two things happen: you end up with one pawn left (you win) or you have several pawns left but they're too far away from each other to jump (you lose).

That's it. You're probably saying, "this is a GAME?" I agree. It's more of a time waster than a game because there's not much strategy. All you do is figure out how to set yourself up for the next jump and once you get the knack of it, you've got it. I would consider this more of a puzzle to be solved than a game because everything I look for in a game (player interaction, mental challenge, trying different strategies to see their outcome) is absent here. If I wanted to play with a puzzle, I'd rather have a Rubik's Cube. (My rating: 1/10 as an actual game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder why this obvious single player puzzle is on the BGG yet every time I've submitted another single player puzzle game, "River Crossing," it's been rejected. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Robrob wrote:
I wonder why this obvious single player puzzle is on the BGG yet every time I've submitted another single player puzzle game, "River Crossing," it's been rejected. soblue

This has been retained in the database by executive fiat. I've also asked for this item to be removed as it is a solo solvable puzzle, but it is kept for history and user information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls