Kemet» Forums » General

Subject: Too difficult for kids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benedikt Braet
Belgium
flag msg tools
Hi,

I have 2 sons both 7 years of age (almost 8), and like me, they like board and card games very much. For their age, they already play some games for age 10+ like 7 Wonders, Agricola for 2 players, Catan, ... in which they can play tactics reasonably well.

So I thought maybe they could learn to play a game like Kemet, a game I read many good things about: they would like the fighting/action very much (like in Smallworld which we play often), the miniatures, ... Also important, if I'm not mistaken, there are no or minor text components in this game. So that would also be one less obstacle (they already do some reading though)

So, is Kemet worth trying with my kids or would it be too soon for this? Any alternatives in the same genre of games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think with repeat plays they could get it. I recommend adjusting the amount of points needed to win to a lower number or say at the end of three or five turns whoever has the most points wins. I find that kids do better with bigger games when they have an end in sight other than victory points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure by any means, but I'd say you might want to wait a year. (It's a complexity jump over what you mentioned.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
7 is pretty early for this one.

The learning curve is steep even for adults because the power tiles create an almost overwhelming array of options in the early game.

Game-savvy seven-year-olds might manage Nexus Ops, for a hard-fighting game with miniatures, but a complexity level closer to Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrii Chabykin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
I've never seen a game with such degree of a conflict. And I believe this game is not for kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if they can handle 7 Wonders, Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, Catan, and Small World, they should be able to get Kemet reasonably well enough to have fun.

One thing I would do for the first play (I think it's even suggested in the rulebook), is to only lay out the first two levels of the upgrade tiles when setting up and then adding the other layers later in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8 year old is also a gamer, (Small World, Star Realms, King of Tokyo/NY, Splendor, HeroScape, Tsuro, Survive, Ticket to Ride, etc..), BUT I don't think I'll introduce him to Kemet until he's closer to 10. Kemet does have a LOT of hard choices. Maybe too much for the young'uns.

My oldest learned Kemet back when he was 10 and did very well... Younger than that might be overwhelmed by the tile choices and overall strategy to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedikt Braet
Belgium
flag msg tools
Thx for the feedback. So, summarising: some say 'no', some say 'maybe if'. It's maybe better then to wait one or two years for this one.

Besides 'nexus ops', other suggestions in the same genre which are more recommended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark etwell
Canada
Aurora
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yeah, it might depend on the kid. My Son is 10 and has been playing Kemet for a few years. but he might be more advanced than normal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
emptyset wrote:
I think if they can handle 7 Wonders, Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, Catan, and Small World, they should be able to get Kemet reasonably well enough to have fun.

One thing I would do for the first play (I think it's even suggested in the rulebook), is to only lay out the first two levels of the upgrade tiles when setting up and then adding the other layers later in the game.

I agree with Marco. I've been playing with my kid and daughter for almost two years (they are now 10 and 13) and they play it very well.

Considering that they are able to play 7 wonders, Catan or Small World, I think they could play it barely well... The mechanics of the game are not too complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Regnard
msg tools
mb
I bought Kemet recently for adults.
But then I show it to my kids and they enjoy it very much (10 and 13).
They like very much the "shopping" aspect (buying power tiles to customize your army) and the game is not abstract, every single power, battle card, divine intervention fits the theme well, so it is easy to remember. For example an elephant allows to move further, a phoenix to fly above the city walls, the battle cards represent tactics like the roman turtle with shields. Everything makes sense.

The game scales very well, you can start explaining the rules by playing a short game without even the power tiles. Then it is only recruit, move, battle, capture temples until the movement rules are absorbed (and they are very simple).
After 20 minutes doing this they will ask all the time for the power tiles.

Then you can introduce the power tiles.
There is a special rule for beginners in the booklet: you compete for 4 points instead of 8, and you can only buy level 1 tiles in the first turn, and level 2 tiles after.
I think this version of the game can be played without problem by kids who play 10 year old games.
And after a few plays, the rules are known by hart without any effort, as well as the 1st and 2nd level tiles, so you are ready for the full game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maze 1125
msg tools
My twins are 7 and a half and they absolutely love Kemet. They've had no problems with the rules at all and are happy to look up, or ask, the rules to the power tiles.

They're obviously not perfect players, but that doesn't stop them having huge amounts of fun especially with the miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.