Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to a prelaunch event this weekend and picked up both starters and 12 boosters even though I had already preordered both of them along with a handful of boosters. I was thinking about giving the ones I preordered to my little brother to give his friends as Christmas/birthday gifts to get them into the game.

I found it very difficult to build a full 30 card hero deck at the launch party with the limited quantity I got. I could not even build a 30 point villain team as I didn't get any villain characters in boosters and most of the villain cards I did get were yellow so I could not include them in the Kylo starter deck. I'm now considering cannibalizing the starters I already ordered for cards that may be useful (Finn, Tie Fighter, FOST, Mind Probe, Infantry Grenades, Immobilize, Force Throw, etc.) and attempting to trade/give away extra cards.

Is there anybody who has gotten a lot of use out of using to starters to build a full deck? Or is money better spent on boosters/singles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'm having fun playing with doubled up starters with my kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Rasmussen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning to get a 2nd set. There are starter only cards that I want more of. Plus the extra Finn die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Christgau
United States
Joelton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crblackhawk wrote:
I'm planning to get a 2nd set. There are starter only cards that I want more of. Plus the extra Finn die.

This, this, this, a thousand times this.

Well, not a thousand. Just twice. Two is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what I'm going to do is just try and trade legendaries I don't want for the starter cards that I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Trisciuzzi
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's how I'm going to do it. I'd rather trade cards I have a surplus in rather than spend $15 for a few select cards. If you HAVE to get 2 mind probes or force throws right away then its the best way but with a little patience you could probably easily trade for them after launch.

I'd only get a 2nd copy of each starter if you are planning on playing a lot with family at home and want to allow each player to play any side they want.

IMO, I'd say that the Kylo set has more value as a double buy just because mind probe and storm trooper. I know Finn only comes with the starter but you can only run eFinn at best, while you could run 4 storm troopers in a swarm deck. That being said, I'm not huge on buying 2 sets just to get a full playset of cards that I'm pretty sure I could trade for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Wells
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll go ahead and suggest that you do, in fact, grab a second starter at the very least of the light side deck.

At a minimum, you have that second Finn die (I'm trying to figure out how to really take advantage of his deckbuilding ability) and a set of very good Yellow Hero, plus some pretty solid Blue from Rey.

On the Darkside, Kylo comes with an additional Force Choke, which is a dang solid card that I can't help but recommend for Blue Villain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.