Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Max
United States
Cinci
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://smile.amazon.com/Chessex-001LBCHX-Pound-O-Dice/dp/B0...

CCC says Lowest price since 2013!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tarr
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coincidentally, that was the year all my direct reports received a mason jar full of dice for Christmas. Mixed results, as you can imagine, but I think every household needs an assortment of dice.

Also, nearby departments just LOVED the sound of dice jars being shaken and tipped all day long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
London
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this a few years back. I was very displeased with the "randomness" or lack there of. Would certainly not purchase again, then again if you have no dice and are just starting up an RPG group it might be just right for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madaxer wrote:
I bought this a few years back. I was very displeased with the "randomness" or lack there of. Would certainly not purchase again, then again if you have no dice and are just starting up an RPG group it might be just right for you.
If I may ask--what was disappointing about it? Too little variety?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Karnuth
United States
Fleming Island
Fl
flag msg tools
Fool's gold or hidden gem?
mbmbmbmbmb
Biggest problem with a pound of dice is that you want to eat it all in just one sitting, and it's WAY too fattening for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bought two of these and was very happy with both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
I've purchased these, but would not do so again.

The clear dice usually have significant inclusions in them, so I'm guessing the opaque ones do as well. Basically these are dice that don't "make the grade".

So if you really want a large assortment of dice for some reason, it's not a terrible purchase, but I question the usefulness (true randomness) of these dice. Also, a lot are just "bad"... can't be easily read, etc.

(I think the "set" of dice they give you are proper, but just "ugly").

I'd be much more inclined to buy proper dice of various types from this point forward. But this is just my own opinion. Just use it as a data point in your decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel S.
United States
Lackawanna
New York
flag msg tools
Yip! Yip!
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought one of these a long time ago and was surprised how expensive they have gotten. Definitely worth it especially if you play rpg's or dice games. My pound had a variety of colors and a fairly equal distribution of the types of die. Very happy with my purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Beiswenger
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Much prefer the Pound O' D6 myself:
https://www.amazon.com/Chessex-CHX-001d6-lb-o-D6-Dice/dp/B00...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the Wiz Dice http://a.co/1nkRjo9
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
London
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
madaxer wrote:
If I may ask--what was disappointing about it? Too little variety?

Sure, sorry for not being more descriptive but I was on my phone initially.

I was hoping for either a HUGE variety of a small variety where I could potentially form a few sets. What I got was neither and I'll try to describe it.

D20's all solid colors Red, Green, Blue, Maroon
D12's all speckled
D10's all translucent
D8's 2 color Gray/Red, Gray/Green, Gray/Blue
D6's actually a lot of variety, different sizes, some with pips some with numbers
D4's - I can't remember what these were

Anyhow, as you can see the variety for the most part was between the different size (numbered?) dice. But picking a single size there was nearly no variety at all and some of the them, the D8's in particular were really ugly.

What I was expecting was something similar to the big random bin's they have at conventions where you purchase a "cup" of dice that you then scoop out except in this case it would weigh a pound. What I got I would probably call an assortment of dice but not a random assortment of dice. Not sure if any of that makes sense but that's the best I can do to describe it.

If I had it to do over again I would purchase this instead (which I think someone else mentioned already)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009R6J8RY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_tt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chessex Pound of dice always has one 7-die set of a higher quality (marbled, opaque, etc.) in an included envelope).

I've probably bought 5 of these over the years and have always been happy with the outcome. I always get a cull or two (misprint or lack of printing on one side), but I really enjoy categorizing and dividing them. I have a firend who is in the same boat as madaxer (hates the randomness) so it's not his cup of tea either.

However, if you enjoy these grab bags of randomness, the value cannot be beat. I've got a 30-sider once, and quite a few 10mm 6-siders (which were way cool). Don't expect too many 12-siders since there isn't a big demand for those in other games. But you'll get plenty of d20s, d10s, and d6s.

It's a great bargain, and excellent timing if you'd like to make dicebags for friends over the holidays.

Cheers!
MH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madaxer wrote:
I was hoping for either a HUGE variety of a small variety where I could potentially form a few sets. What I got was neither and I'll try to describe it.

D20's all solid colors Red, Green, Blue, Maroon
D12's all speckled
D10's all translucent
D8's 2 color Gray/Red, Gray/Green, Gray/Blue
D6's actually a lot of variety, different sizes, some with pips some with numbers
D4's - I can't remember what these were
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009R6J8RY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_tt...

If you want matching sets (D4 - D20), you want the previously mentioned WizDice. Lots of posted pictures on Amazon of what people got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.