Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Had to pause a campaign mission rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bilbo Baggins
msg tools
We had to suspend play during a campaign mission and the Imperial player took photos of the board as it was. He now doesn't want to share the photos so we're coming to you for a tiebreaker vote. I'm not quite sure what his argument is for not sharing, he can explain if he wants. My argument is simple, he should share the pic of the board because everything in it is open information.

In a suspended mission, should all the open info from the situation be shared between all players?

Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Uh...yeah. No reason not share the photos...unless he wants to change things...
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
My vote is yes it should be shared. I don't understand why he would not want to be open about this. It sounds like your Imp player is taking things too serious. Its a game, have fun!!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Helfrich
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have no problem calling myself out as the one withholding the pictures. My argument is simple and only applies when the campaign is played in person as ours is.

The rebels have to react to the mission on the fly. Only being able to process information as it comes and react in a relatively quick manner. Given unforeseen circumstances, we had to suspend game play halfway through. By sharing the pictures, it allows an unfair advantage for the rebels to assess the map and take 7+ days to form a strategy that normally only has about a 10 minute max (made up time, but you don't take all that long to make decisions).

I obviously vote that it is not required for me to share the pictures, and all information will be provided and setup once game play resumes, and the same amount of time will be taken (probably a little more to pick things back up)to make the next move.

That is after all the advantage of being the Imperial, you get to strategize ahead of time since you know the mission.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The IP should no more have the privilege of staring at the map and planning than the rebels do. That's not the same thing as knowing the mission events and triggers.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Helfrich
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll start this response by saying, there is no anger or anything of that nature in my responses, just some competitive banter.

Craig is your comment about privilege related to mid-game, or even pre-mission as well?
Quote:
The IP should no more have the privilege of staring at the map and planning than the rebels do.


In response to that, I have no intention of looking at the pictures before we play again. However, I know my opponent well enough to know that that is exactly what he will do (nothing against him, I just know he's also quite competitive).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm simply pointing out that if one side has the priviledge of looking at a frozen mission state once the mission has begun, then the other side should have it, too.

I see nothing wrong with not sharing the pictures if you intend not to look at them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bilbo Baggins
msg tools
csouth154 wrote:
...

I see nothing wrong with not sharing the pictures if you intend not to look at them.


I'd disagree that his intent of looking at the pic is relevant. He has access and is restricting it from the other side.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Guibord
Canada
Vaudreuil-dorion
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are for sure, a very competitive group.

I usually play game for "fun". I personally don't get the reason to either hide of show the picture.

Again, I guess I'm not a competitive person and I still don't get it especially for the campaign. IF this was a skirmish match, it might be different (although it wouldn't be fair so both sides would need to have the picture).
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
fightwookies wrote:
csouth154 wrote:
...

I see nothing wrong with not sharing the pictures if you intend not to look at them.


I'd disagree that his intent of looking at the pic is relevant. He has access and is restricting it from the other side.


I actually do agree with this. The pics should be shared and then you guys decide if both sides look or if neither side looks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How does not seeing the exact map positions prevent the rebels from strategizing for the whole week?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
wannabepudge wrote:
I have no problem calling myself out as the one withholding the pictures. My argument is simple and only applies when the campaign is played in person as ours is.

The rebels have to react to the mission on the fly. Only being able to process information as it comes and react in a relatively quick manner. Given unforeseen circumstances, we had to suspend game play halfway through. By sharing the pictures, it allows an unfair advantage for the rebels to assess the map and take 7+ days to form a strategy that normally only has about a 10 minute max (made up time, but you don't take all that long to make decisions).

I obviously vote that it is not required for me to share the pictures, and all information will be provided and setup once game play resumes, and the same amount of time will be taken (probably a little more to pick things back up)to make the next move.

That is after all the advantage of being the Imperial, you get to strategize ahead of time since you know the mission.


Well this makes more sense. I took it as you were not letting them see the pictures when you restarted the game. That didn't make sense to me and would make you look like you were trying to hide something. I still think you are taking it too competitively, but my wife would probably agree with you
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The point that the decisions should be made on the fly is there, but nothing would stop the Rebels actually staring at the board for ages in person either, besides social contracts, of course.

A similar argument can also be made that the Rebels will not have fresh memory of what happened recently when the game restarts. This does put them at a significant disadvantage, as when the game restarts, they will need to make snap decisions without the benefit of remembering how the prior rounds went down.

In that regard, it can be argued they should be allowed to see the state to counteract that loss of short term memory.

Still, the decision is still up to you and what makes the game fun for all of you.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Helfrich
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
To your point, I expect that getting started up again will take longer than if we were to not have suspended play, and I am taking that into consideration (social contracts as you put it). That said, you are also right that if the player (Mr. Baggins) wishes to take an extraordinary amount of time, he will technically be able to, however, he can take that up with his wife when he comes home too late (I have no idea if this will actually happen, but if all is right with the world, this will be incentive enough to play within acceptable time frames).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bilbo Baggins
msg tools
a1bert wrote:
How does not seeing the exact map positions prevent the rebels from strategizing for the whole week?


When we played last, a few of us had a sufficient amount of whiskey. my memory of the situation when we left it is 'hazy' at best.

We definitely do get a bit competitive. I didn't think it was a big deal to ask for the pic of the map in the midgame situation. I was the imperial last time we played (Hoth) and I shared with him during a similar pause.

Now he has dug in on his argument, and I don't want to let him win this either

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bilbo Baggins
msg tools
Clipper wrote:
The point that the decisions should be made on the fly is there, but nothing would stop the Rebels actually staring at the board for ages in person either, besides social contracts, of course.


Right, and I will have to otherwise. I just want to avoid taking an extra half hour during gameplay next time to refresh my memory. The pic of the board contains no hidden information, just open info from the game. I'm not asking to see the mission events. This seems pretty open and shut to me.

Clipper wrote:
A similar argument can also be made that the Rebels will not have fresh memory of what happened recently when the game restarts. This does put them at a significant disadvantage, as when the game restarts, they will need to make snap decisions without the benefit of remembering how the prior rounds went down.

In that regard, it can be argued they should be allowed to see the state to counteract that loss of short term memory.
...


Agreed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you people friends? Just curious.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bilbo Baggins
msg tools
Flaviorbs wrote:
Are you people friends? Just curious.


yes, but sometimes I wonder why
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico P
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My guess would be that your Imperial player is either a) Taking this game way too seriously, b) Trying to secretly change stuff, or c) He feels like being able to analyze the board will give him an advantage. I say a) would be the most likely one


Frankly at this point I don't really care anymore. I always tend to think on the fly as Imperial (as in, I require pretty much 0sec to make a move because I'm already thinking when Rebel players are thinking). Sure sometimes I lose but so what? It's about having fun
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Manning
United States
Bay City
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a game, guys. There are bigger things to worry about. Just be the bigger person and share the pictures. If you lose because if it, at least you saved a friendship.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bilbo Baggins
msg tools
Sometimes I wish there was a sarcasm font. Thanks everyone for your concern. Like I said, we're just asking for other opinions for a tiebreaker. We'll be friends again during the next campaign when we're both rebels.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
SOUTH LAKE TAHOE
California
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sell the pics for 4 threat?

Edit: or give the pics to the rebel player once he has achieved the same state of intoxication as last time
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reepicheep Catsbane
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you asked for opinions, so I might as well add to the pot.

If looking at it from a purely competitive standpoint, I would say that the imperial player has a case for withholding the pictures. One week is a long time, and while, yes, the rebels technically have the right to take as long as they want to make a decision, sharing the pictures now would give them the opportunity to sleep on it and mull over strategies for a whole week. Never underestimate the power of your subconscious planning out strategies for you while you sleep.

In counter to this, the imperial player would have the same option to plan, but I would argue that extended planning helps the rebels more than the imperials. Imperial strategy tends to be more reactive (by necessity, your units die quickly), while rebel strategy tends to be more long term.

From a "fun" standpoint, I would definitely lean toward sharing the pictures. With the competitive nature of your group, think of how much fun/torture it will be for your rebels to craft a masterpiece of a plan, over-think it for days, and then come to the table and watch it fall to pieces on the first dodge. devil

My opinion is, if your imp doesn't want to share the pics (and you trust him not to change things), he has the right to withhold them. However, I would suggest to your imp that he share them for the fun factor.


On a side note, I think it's pretty cool that your group can be this competitive without having strong emotions get involved. That is a rare group indeed.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bilbo Baggins
msg tools
theashers wrote:
Sell the pics for 4 threat?

Edit: or give the pics to the rebel player once he has achieved the same state of intoxication as last time


Hmm, do I have to hold it there over the weekend? Never mind, it's a holiday weekend. This seems workable.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Mannheim
Deutschland
flag msg tools
You sure play this competitively

I tend to just let the Imperial Player decide for the fact alone that he makes the game possible for you guys. While it is fun playing the Imperial, you do need to put some extra time into it so the players have a smooth game, and he has no Buddys to fistbump with if he wins and no one who hugs him if he loses. So if he wants to keep those savegame states for himself, it won't hurt you that much, just take your extra time in the first round next time to think about your strategy.

IA can get a bit dramatic, especially if one side keeps losing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.