21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Star Wars Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rathma P.
Canada
flag msg tools
Being a Star Wars fan myself, there are alot of themed board games out there. With that being said, what is your latest favorite Star Wars game and do you prefer one over the other if you have played them all?

1. Star Wars Xwing Minatures
2. Star Wars Armada
3. Star Wars Rebellion

All have some sort of expansion except for Star Wars Rebellion which i'm hoping they do come out with one.

For myself i can't see my self getting into the minatures of Armada and Xwing as it can deepen your pockets trying to collect every ship that comes out.

Are there other Star Wars games you are looking forward to see?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still partial to my X-Wing collection of one box set and 5 expansions. It is a game we enjoy coming back to again and again. Love me that Rebellion though!

Can't say I'm chomping at the but for Destiny. We don't have much fun playing games like that and two base sets plus a few booster packs doesn't turn me on much. I did enjoying the guys over at Tram Covenant play through the game though.

Not sure what else is on the horizon. If a Star Wars Cosmic or Star Wars Twilight came out I'd give it a thought!

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
West End's Star Wars RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought into X-Wing, the LCG, Armada and Imperial Assault, and own but have yet to play Rebellion.

The LCG just withered up and died in my area. I think having to bring two decks to competitive play made people feel like they had no identity. In Magic, you're Red/Black or Blue/White or whatever combo. In L5R or Game of Thrones or Doomtown, you're your clan or house or faction. With the Star Wars LCG, you had to be both Rebel and Imperial. So I never really felt associated with it.

Imperial Assault's campaign is a ton of fun -- but I don't need to own it for that when all my friends also have it. I didn't enjoy the skirmish mode enough to stay current with it (especially early on when one particular build dominated to the exclusion of nearly everything else).

Armada is a great game that simply fell by the wayside because I could not afford to get heavily involved in another miniatures game when I was so heavily invested in X-Wing at that point. It's a very different feel from X-Wing, much more strategic than tactical, and the system honestly does some things X-Wing probably should have done.

But X-Wing is my one true love. I can have fun playing a bad game of X-Wing because I'm still moving cool spaceships around the board. It's fun in casual play, it's challenging in competitive play, and the models have been top notch from Day One. I have at least two of every ship they've made and shudder to think at how much cash I've sunk into the game, but considering all the enjoyment I've gotten out of it, it's been worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Armada in TO (a very strong and active community), it is an excellent mid weight war game. It also scratches the deck building itch for ex-magic players. Excellent game.

X-wing, too many dice, roll for attack, roll to defend, blah blah, not my thing.

The X-wing scene is pretty strong, the Armada scene is growing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schlueter
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Risk: Star Wars Edition
I know this isn't as deep of a game as anything FFG produces, but the nicer Black Edition is only 20 bucks more than standard edition and you get a pile of tiny ships in one epic battle. And it's Risk in name only. This actually plays in a manner similar to the Queens Gambit. Plus, there is no worry of any money sucking expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG Star Wars RPG.
Star Wars Armada
Star Wars Rebellion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whymme wrote:

Best Star Wars game ever produced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For spaceship models I'm quite content with LEGOs :-)

Imperial Assault is the way to go.

Or Rebellion if only two players are available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nerdfatha wrote:
Risk: Star Wars Edition
I know this isn't as deep of a game as anything FFG produces, but the nicer Black Edition is only 20 bucks more than standard edition and you get a pile of tiny ships in one epic battle. And it's Risk in name only. This actually plays in a manner similar to the Queens Gambit. Plus, there is no worry of any money sucking expansions.

and the Clone Wars edition is a great source of plastic dudes and vehicles for prototypes/homebrews!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Whymme wrote:

Best Star Wars game ever produced.

+1000
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my money, you can't top THIS!! laugh

But in all seriousness, X-Wing and Imperial Assault are BOMB!!!

If you expand your search into the no longer in print area, the the VCR game is a hoot! No where near a serious and deep gaming experience, but a blast for kids/families, or drinking adults. Also, Epic Duels is actually a REALLY good little light tactical battle game... if you can track down a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with Imperial Assault and WEG Star Wars RPG. Definitely both better than Xwing and Armada. Can't comment on Rebellion, but I guess it's better than the ship battles as you get the full game with the purchase, not a playable demo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I own X-Wing (2-base sets and a few larger ships) and Rebellion. Cost is about the same after getting sufficient units for X-wing (YMMV). Rebellion is the better albeit *much* longer game IMHO. X-Wing is fast and *really* fun, however. It is a simplified miniatures game with beautiful minis. But I prefer the longer, more board-game experience offered by Rebellion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Risk: Star Wars Edition and like it a lot.

My step-son owns Star Wars: Imperial Assault and am looking forward to playing that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Johnson
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am enjoying Star Wars: Destiny just at the minute.... also partial to a bit of Star Wars: Rebellion

Of course Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit is pretty good too, if you can find a copy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars Rebellion followed by Risk Star Wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve D
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Counting the original Parker Brother's Escape from the Death Star game, I've been playing these for over thirty years! Here would be my favorites in very rough order:

1. Rebellion (FFG)
2. Assault on Hoth (WEG)
3. Escape from the Death Star (WEG, not the Parker Brothers game)
4. The Queen's Gambit (AH)
5. SW CCG (Decipher)
6. Epic Duels (Hasbro)
7. X-Wing (FFG)
8. Imperial Assault (FFG)
9. Clone Wars or Original Trilogy Risk (Hasbro)
10. Star Wars LCG (FFG)

To be fair, I haven't played Armada or Destiny yet. Hope to try them someday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
My order would be
1 Star Wars: Imperial Assault
2 Star Wars: Rebellion
3 Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
List of Star Wars Miniatures manufactures (some are OOP but can found 2nd hand).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.