Subject: Talk to me about jobs... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My continuing battle to understand this game continues. We move on to jobs...

When are jobs preferable to just moving a dude over to the opponent you want to rub out? I understand that some jobs don't mark dudes at all, but places, but quite a few do. When do you use jobs in your games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Cockrell
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have jobs in my deck because
A) They fit into my draw structure and
B) If I win them, I get something like 4GR for "A Coach Comes to Town".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jevon Heath
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Go on 'head get down with it.
badge
Take it to the chorus!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jobs in general are mainly for forcing conflict. Thing is, a cautious opponent can almost always avoid a fight: stay unbooted, walk slowly, refuse callouts. But jobs like Kidnappin', Ambush, and Election Day Slaughter can take out a dude even if your opponent doesn't put up a fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jobs are one of the few ways to start a fight in a opponent's home. Assuming the opponent 'opposes' the job and forms a posse.

Jobs are started through the use of a card. Such a card has a effect if the job is 'successful'. This effect is usually quite beneficial to the job starter.

Starting a fight through the standard 'calling out' action requires a few preconditions which 'jobs' can sometimes avoid. Ie. The 'calling out' action requires a unbooted dude as well as the target dude, if unbooted, can simply 'chicken out' and boot home rather than fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soulblight
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're marking a dude, then you can mark them anywhere, including at their home.

That is, your opponent can have one of their dudes overextended and un-defended at one of their deeds and feel safe because you have nobody in town square to wander over and call them out. They won't see a job coming, because it is hidden. You have to have dudes in position to set-up a call out.
A call out takes work and set-up, and is easily visible. A job is hidden, and posses can come from the location of the leader, who could be at your home.

With Kidnappin or Ambush, if the mark refuses to defend the job, or is not defended, then they are discarded or aced, respectively.

Jobs also can give you control points, ghost rock, horses, card advantage, and other useful effects. Some force your opponent into awkward situations like Election Day Slaughter.

They give rewards that call-outs can not, and can be the focus or engine of your deck, or can be there to get you out of sticky situations or get your opponent into one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks for the replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the surprise factor and being able to force a fight even at your opponents home where their dudes are "safe" a job is also a way to move multiple dudes at once and so you can get the fight you are itching for before your opponent has the chance to equip spells/goods and/or use noon abilities to buff themselves before the fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.