Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
*The Run Down
With the reasonable amount of elastic superheroes out there and none in the SotM universe, at least that I have seen, I felt that there needed to be one. This one was rough for me to design, but I feel I got a good base for him as a tank/support hero with an interesting mechanic to balance him out.

*Bio
Ron Tilly was a police officer for Rook City. Been on the force for 5 years and was known on the force for his no nonsense attitude. While pursuing a criminal into the Pike Chemical Plant, Ron Tilly caught the criminal, but while detaining him, they both fell off a catwalk into different vats of chemicals. Ron Tilly emerged half alive and blacked out. Sometime later, he awoke in the hospital, his room filled with letters and cards of those hoping he will get better. He found out quickly that he was more than better. Feeling dizzy after awaking, he reached out for a chair to help him steady himself so he could get up and when he felt the chair he looked up to see that he had stretched out several feet to grab the chair and was retracting his arm, bringing the chair to him.

After being released from the hospital, Ron worked on developing his abilities and used them to be a better police officer. Before too long, he was a hero of the force, but this only drew attention to him. A woman was in his apartment as he was coming home from work, but they were not alone. The door closed behind him and there stood a man, but not a man. The spirit smiled at him and said "We have a proposition for you."

Hero: Snapback
HP: 26
Base Power: Halt
-Snapback deals a target 1 melee damage. The next time that target would deal damage, reduce it by 1.

Incapacitated:
-The next time target hero would take damage, reduce it by 1.
-One player may put a card from their trash into their hand.
-Target Hero reduce Lightning damage dealt to them by 2 until your next turn.

One-Shot (Qty:10)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Improvised Slingshot (Qty:4)
-Put the top card of the environment deck into the trash.
-Snapback deals a target 4 projectile damage

Police Connections (Qty:4)
-Draw 3 Cards, then discard a card.

Bounce Back (Qty:2)
-You may discard your hand
-Shuffle your trash into your deck
-If you discarded any cards for this ability, Draw 4 cards

One-Shot, Stretch (Qty:12)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Long Arm of the Law (Qty:4)
-Look at the top card of the villain deck, replace it or discard it.
-If this is the first Stretch card played on your turn, you may draw a card.

Ten Yard Punch (Qty:4)
-Snapback deals a target 2 melee damage
-If this is the second stretch card you played this turn, put in beneath the top card of your deck instead of the trash

Spring in the Step (Qty:4)
-Draw two cards, then discard a card.
-The next time Snapback would be dealt damage, reduce it by 1.

Ongoing, Limited, Stretch (Qty:8)
All Wrapped Up (Qty:3)
-Play on target villain
-Damage dealt by the target below this card is reduced by 1.
-At the start of your turn, you may have Snapback deals himself 2 Psychic damage. If Snapback takes no damage, destroy this card.

Safety Net (Qty:2)
-When another hero's HP would be reduced to 0 or lower, return that hero's HP to 10. That hero deals Snapback 2 projectile damage. Destroy this card.

Bubble Shield (Qty:3)
-Play on a hero
-When you play this card, you may put a Stretch card from your hand under this card.
-Redirect all damage dealt to the hero beneath this card to Snapback. If there is a Stretch card under this card, redirect all damage dealt to another hero to Snapback.
-At the start of your turn, destroy this card. If there is a Stretch card beneath this card, discard that card.

Ongoing, Limited (Qty:10)
Ballin' (Qty:2)
-When Snapback would be dealt 4 or more damage, reduce that damage by 1 and then Snapback deals 1 target 2 projectile damage.
-Power: Snapback deals a target 2 projectile damage.

Elastic Body (Qty:2)
-When Snapback is dealt 1 damage, redirect that damage to the damage's source. If there is a Stretch card under this card, you may also redirect 1 damage from another hero target each turn.
-When you play a Stretch card the first time in a turn, you may reduce the next damage dealt to Snapback by 1.
-Power: Put a Stretch card under this card or remove a Stretch card beneath this card.

Advanced Power Training (Qty:2)
-At the start of your turn, when there are 4 or more Stretch cards in your trash, you may put a stretch card from your trash on top of your deck.
-Power: You may play a Stretch Card.

Arrest (Qty:2)
-Power: Destroy a target with 2HP or less

Police Training (Qty:2)
-When a Stretch card is played, you may draw a card
-Power: Look at the top 2 cards of the environment deck and then replace them in any order.

Any recommendations and suggestions would be appreciated. This is the third of the custom decks in the Reaction Expansion that me and my playgroup have come up with. 11 heroes, 10 villains, and 4 environments.

(Edit Notes)
-Removed Stored Energy
-Reworked Retraction into Advanced Training
-Added ability to Spring in the Step
-Removed wording to cards for Stored Energy
-Added Police Training
-Removed Recovery ability
-Reworked advanced power training
-Added ability to Elastic Body
-Added ability to Ten Yard Punch
-Added ability to Long Arm of the Law
-Added ability to Police Training
-Added ability to Elastic Body
-Added ability to Bubble Shield
-Reduced Quantity of 10 Yard Punch by 2
-Added Bounce Back
-Reduced damage of Ten Yard Punch from 3 to 2 due to increase of damage output of Snapback from changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Klein
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I don't see why the Recovery mechanic matters. He can't play more than 1 card per turn anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Spring in the Step (Qty:4)
-Draw a card

This card is basically useless. It uses up a card draw to get it, and you can give up a card play to trade it for a different draw.

Quote:
Stored Energy (Qty:2)
-When a stretch card is played, you may discard a stretch card to play the stretch card again

It is not at all clear how this interacts with Recovery. Recovery stops you from playing any more Stretch cards, this lets you play another Stretch card (the same one, but again), so that means...???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you need to have Retraction in play to get any use out of Stored Energy. Which means it's going to be a dead card until you have the combo up. Not sure what to suggest about that, but I'll second that Spring in the Step is a really bad card. He needs discard fodder for Stored Energy, but still...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
Just nitpicking, but the ongoing stretch cards are implying he's stretching a lot for a long period... But he can play other stretch cards while they're in play. Except the whole stretch mechanic makes it seem like he can't just keep stretching forever? Seems a little contradictory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for pointing out the contradictions guys. I honestly did not even think of that issue as I was making this. Also I agree about Spring in the Step not being great. I was hesitant about that card in the first place, but I feel the slight tweak will have made it better. Reworked the issues and I hope I was able to make things a little better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I'm still not really sure I get what the point of Recovery is or what it's supposed to represent flavour wise. You can't play another card until your next turn, but he has no particular way to play extra cards before his next turn anyway. The one card that lets him play extra cards is Advanced Power Training, which ignores Recovery it anyway. It seems like it's a mechanic that'd only ever matter in making something like Omnitron or Argent Adepts extra plays randomly a bit weaker, and "Doesn't work well with certain other heroes from time to time" doesn't seem like a pillar to build what is apparently his main mechanic around.

Also, mechanically "Stretch" only matters because of Advanced Power Training, and that only matters because it lets you play the card again immediately - which does something for the one-shots, there's no point playing an ongoing twice so their Stretchiness only matters for discarding them. So... His thing is that he can play one of three one-shots which are respectively okay (Long arm of the law), mediocre (Ten yard punch) and pretty awful (Spring in his step) slightly more often?

Sorry if I'm missing something, but I really don't get this guy, how the mechanics are supposed to work and how it is supposed to represent a stretchy dude. I do like several of the individual cards, especially Ballin' and All Wrapped up but I think the overall needs some work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Recovery doesn't seem to make much sense. It's only going to matter at all when another effect allows playing extra cards. What's the point of it?

As soon as I saw that he's a cop, I knew there'd be a "long arm of the law" gag, but I think you're really reaching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree he needs more work. The recovery is supposed to represent him retracting from stretching out. Mechanically it is supposed to make it a little harder for a support character to support him and want to focus on other heroes. I am just going to get rid of that and try to work on making him a bit more cohesive with the Stretch keyword. Was an idea to make him a bit more limited in use so that his other cards could be a bit stronger. Oh well, will go in a different direction and try to work more on his Stretch keywords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seamus Butler
Ireland
flag msg tools
mb
Jaggid88 wrote:
Yeah, I agree he needs more work. The recovery is supposed to represent him retracting from stretching out. Mechanically it is supposed to make it a little harder for a support character to support him and want to focus on other heroes. I am just going to get rid of that and try to work on making him a bit more cohesive with the Stretch keyword. Was an idea to make him a bit more limited in use so that his other cards could be a bit stronger. Oh well, will go in a different direction and try to work more on his Stretch keywords.

Can I make a suggestion here?
Instead of how it works now have his extra support abilities work only for him and then strech cards allows him to extend those to others. Could work the same for his offensive abilities.
e.g.
-When Snapback is dealt 1 damage, redirect that damage to the damage's source.
If you play a strech card under this card you may also redirect 1 damage from another hero target each turn.

This would give you a limit on your stech cards as they start getting squirreled away under other cards to make them better and thematically is the limits of what he can strech to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Faceontoast wrote:
Jaggid88 wrote:

Can I make a suggestion here?
Instead of how it works now have his extra support abilities work only for him and then strech cards allows him to extend those to others. Could work the same for his offensive abilities.
e.g.
-When Snapback is dealt 1 damage, redirect that damage to the damage's source.
If you play a strech card under this card you may also redirect 1 damage from another hero target each turn.

This would give you a limit on your stech cards as they start getting squirreled away under other cards to make them better and thematically is the limits of what he can strech to.
That is a really good idea. I like it a lot. Will see about how to implement it onto the ongoings so they have a stretch feel. Thank you for the suggestion. Also thank you as you have inspired me to make Bounce Back as a card. I think it will go well with the decks synergy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew malecki
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Make recovery remove all the stretch cards under the other ongoings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.