5 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Elusive (and similar) Card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
The card ability states "Disengage from each enemy engaged with you and move to a revealed location with no enemies"

Are both steps mandatory? Can I disengage from each enemy and stay at the location or must I move 'to a revealed location' too?

My inclination is to follow the card to the letter and require the move, as the card didn't state it as optional... but it really reduces the usefulness of the card. In the example of my game we were playing, the 1st scenario. Skids had 2 enemies engaged with him, Daisy was defeated, and Skids still had to get 2 clues from Basement. The Attic had been cleared. Could Skids have used 'Elusive' to disengage from each enemy and then Investigate? In this instance it was not useful for him to move to another location as he HAD to get the clues from the Basement.

As well as obeying the wording strictly my other thought is that that the card doesn't say to 'Evade' the enemies, only disengage with them, so if he DID stay at the location I suppose they would automatically just Engage him again immediately.

So I've probably answered my own question but I wanted to put it to the group: did I interpret this correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
I'm too lazy to check if the RRG has anything to say about "and", but it would be pointless to not move - Disengage is NOT Evade.
Since the enemies don't get exhausted (like they would from a proper Evade) they'd just immediately reengage you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
I'm too lazy to check if the RRG has anything to say about "and", but it would be pointless to not move - Disengage is NOT Evade.
Since the enemies don't get exhausted (like they would from a proper Evade) they'd just immediately reengage you.

The relevant rule is under "Effect":
Once initiated, players must resolve as much of each aspect of the effect as they are able, unless the effect uses the word "may."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katharine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The other posters are right: the enemies don't exhaust from Elusive, they just disengage momentarily, giving you enough time to escape. You're right that this effect wouldn't help you in your situation (and is overall of limited utility in Scenario 1, given the small number of locations we're dealing with) - but this is an amazingly powerful card in other scenarios.

Sometimes Skids just needs to give those enemies the slip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.