Justin G
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario 1 - Prison Break

Rank - This was my third favorite scenario.

Components - There weren't much to the components here. Mostly if not all exclusively paper elements.

General Thoughts: This was a fun initial foray into the boxed escape room genre. There were some interesting puzzles that made you think and it never felt too easy.

The third puzzle had some elements that I think were poorly designed and that even seasoned puzzlers will find could have been put together in a more logical fashion. The way you have to derive one of the numbers is clever and one was fair (although not terribly clever) however, the methods to service the remaining two numbers struck me as illogical and lazy puzzle design. I wont say any more as to not give anything away.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The notion that the detergent "AA" meant 2 and that you should have derived 4 from the folded laundry when the folding chart makes you think of the folding in terms of stages seemed like a stretch and the folding chart harmed us more than it helped us by distracting us from what the game was trying to get you to focus on

I did this scenario with 2 and overall I enjoyed it.

Scenario 2 - Virus

Rank This was my favorite scenario of the four.

Components - The components were better than prison break. There was more then just paper, and a few neat accessories that added to the experience.

General Thoughts: I thought the puzzles here were well-designed and fun. The first puzzle was clever and there are two ways to figure it out (the long way or the "happenstance" way) both are enjoyable and give you a sense of satisfaction. Originally i solved this one by happenstance, but then at the end of the game when I realized several elements had not been used I went back and studied them and solved the puzzle the "long way." The second puzzle was neat, there was a lot going on and with a larger group there were several items that could be worked on simultaneously. Deriving three of the four numbers were logical and fair, the remaining one involved an interesting process, but seemed random in how one would have figured it out - but with a hint this was fine.
figuring out you had to hold the cards and fan them seemed random - even though the order was provided by the schedule
The third puzzle was challenging but solvable and again, involved some cool components beyond just pieces of paper.

I did this scenario with 3 and overall I enjoyed it.

Scenario 3 - Nuclear Countdown

Rank This was my second favorite scenario.

Components - This scenario had some of the best components. As you can tell after opening up the game this is the only scenario with a separate box containing additional components.

General Thoughts: The first puzzle was fun, involved the entire group and actually needed a group to work together. One of the components provided for the first puzzle while I understood the intent was hard (/impossible) to use for its intended purpose.
the shoelace could not be used to trace the correct pattern because of the sharp edges
The second puzzles was the most fun out of any out of all 4 scenarios just because of the shock value (SO COOL!).
true, it wasn't much of a puzzle, but deriving the phone number and the actually calling it so cool that it worked and very satisfying!
The last puzzle again was a true group activity, made sense, was fun, was thematic and just worked.

I did this scenario with 4 and overall I enjoyed it. If you are hanging out with a larger group than usual and you aren't sure which scenario to play this one works the best with 4, 5, 6, players etc. the others can be done with fewer players. This one just works better with higher player counts.

Scenario 4 - Aztec
This was my least favorite scenario.

Components - By far the worst components for all three scenarios. The first and third puzzles literally are one piece of paper.

General Thoughts: The first puzzle was okay but didn't really work the way it was intended and felt like it was missing a component.
it felt to us like they should have given you some kind of tube to wrap the snakes around
The second puzzle was by far the worst puzzle out of all four scenarios. It felt disjointed, made little sense in the end, involved obscure features of some of the game components and was just not very logical or well designed in the end. Further, parts of the puzzle which had to be put in a certain order constantly had to be flipped to read the backs and then re-situated which just made the puzzle feel tedious. We spent about 50 minutes on this puzzle alone. In the end, we did not solve it without reading all of the hints, and when we did several solutions we had come up with ourselves seemed to fit better than the "actual" solution. For me and my group this puzzle was a total whiff. The third puzzle seemed like an afterthought, again it made little sense, involved situating the pieces in a certain manner but then having to flip them . . . so frustrating.

I did this scenario with 3 and we did not enjoy it. Luckily, the other 3 scenarios redeemed the experience for us and overall we were really glad we played this game and are looking forward to the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your review! I have some general questions. We recently played Exit: The Game – The Secret Lab, from the KOSMOS escape room series and I wonder how they compare.

Are you solving multiple puzzles at the same time, so that everyone has something to do? Or do the puzzles come out one after the other?

I think we would play this game with 4 players, is that a good player count?

Is there a possibility to get help with the puzzles?

Can you give the game to other people once you're done? Or do you 'destroy' stuff?

Is there a timer going to zero? So if you haven't solved it in that time, you've 'lost'?

Do you get a score, how well you've done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We went through the Prison Break scenario last night. It was fun, but I really, really wish they'd provided two copies of the last stage so we could all see it. It was so small that we had to pass it around to make anything out and that meant it was hard for multiple people to try to work on puzzles at the same time. I appreciate that there are more "hands on" puzzles coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Müller
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Anny48 wrote:

Are you solving multiple puzzles at the same time, so that everyone has something to do? Or do the puzzles come out one after the other?

That strongly depends on the part of each adventure, mostly yes, sometimes no.

Anny48 wrote:

I think we would play this game with 4 players, is that a good player count?

Definitely - I think it's the best player count
Anny48 wrote:

Is there a possibility to get help with the puzzles?

The Chrono Decoder will tell you to take a hint card every few minutes.
Anny48 wrote:

Can you give the game to other people once you're done? Or do you 'destroy' stuff?

You'll have to "destroy" things, which you can print out on the web at www.escaperoomthegame.com
Anny48 wrote:

Is there a timer going to zero? So if you haven't solved it in that time, you've 'lost'?

If you run out of time, the Chrono Decoder will start counting up. So you can still make a picture of it and share it on social networks and still tell the people you made it If you want to score it, yes, you'd have lost.
Anny48 wrote:

Do you get a score, how well you've done?

No, we don't have any scores. If you win, you're part of the elite group having mastered the adventure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jgunnz wrote:
Scenario 1 - Prison Break

The notion that the detergent "AA" meant 2 and that you should have derived 4 from the folded laundry when the folding chart makes you think of the folding in terms of stages seemed like a stretch and the folding chart harmed us more than it helped us by distracting us from what the game was trying to get you to focus on

what about deciphering the 3rd letter from the poster? Just because there are more 3s on it then it's the 3rd part of the code? Overall I thought this scenario was terrible. Not a good way to start the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Sevcik
Germany
flag msg tools
The 4th scenario really seemed rushed to me. The first puzzle was missing a component, the second one was not thought through well enough and the last one was just cheap:

You didn't even need to flip it, the solution was on the "one picture" side, the "stone statues" side was just a distraction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:
Thanks for your review! I have some general questions. We recently played Exit: The Game – The Secret Lab, from the KOSMOS escape room series and I wonder how they compare.

Having just played 2 of the Exit: The Games plus all of the available Escape the Game scenarios including the 2 new expansions I can say the Exit: The Game scenarios have a lot more puzzles to solve. 10 or 12 per scenario if I'm not mistaken. Some have more than that even.

The Exit: The Game scenarios seem like they are thought out a little better. As the reviews show the Escape the Game games seemed to be a little less challenging and fulfilling.

Although I really like the Chrono machine and timer - I feel like app a la how Unlock! does their games could have worked just as easily. That being said, the keys having more than one symbol on them is very clever as there are multiple uses for them.

Do not make the mistake I made of thinking if 4 players are good, 5 is even better! Ya, no. It ends up being less fun for all, as others have pointed out there isn't enough "stuff" to be looking at, at one time.

My favorite out of all the scenarios is the new Funland expansion for Escape the Game. It has a creepy clown, run down circus feel to it and I just enjoyed the puzzles they included, I just wish they would include more of them.

The Exit: The Games take longer than an hour, which is nice as you feel like you get more game for your money that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin G
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree. The Funland expansion is one of the better scenarios out of all of the ones released! The Murder Mystery one in my opinion was one of the worst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Sachan
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the phone number? We can't figure it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jjenelds wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Waenink
New Zealand
Whangarei
Northland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jjenelds wrote:

Careful. The phone number is different based upon where the game was purchased. The US version has a 1-866 (not 1-800 as we foolish dialed to get a very different answering machine). I think I read that the Dutch version uses an 009 number and now the Australian version has a different one as well.

Solving spoiler:
Use the fact that each number on the dial pad represents three letters. There is likely a "secret" word next to the phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.