Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping to play PoG solo on VASSAL to get the rules down. (I've tried setting up the actual game to do this various times, but we always seem to need the gaming table for something else before I get very far!)

Is the PoG mod as written playable solo? I couldn't find that option in the setup.

If not, can I edit the mod to play it solo? I've successfully edited it so that I can see both the CP and the AP hand of cards (playing as either side). However, if I am CP, I can't "pick up" the AP cards (and vice versa) -- and I can't seem to locate any further mod settings to tweak. (And we all know how much fun tweaking mod settings can be...) Any ideas as to how to make this work?

Thanks in advance,
-Darin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Cropley
United States
Hermon
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotcha covered! If you edited it so you could see both hands, you were on the right track.

1. Start VASSAL
2. Choose EDIT Module
3. Load the PoG module
4. In the "Edit Paths of Glory" parameter box, DOUBLE CLICK "Definition of Player Sides"
5. "Add" a side called "Solo" and click "OK"
6. Now DOUBLE CLICK "CP Hand [Player Hand]"
7. Under "Belongs to side" "Add" "Solo" (you should now see Central Powers and Solo in the box to the right) and click OK
8. DOUBLE CLICK "AP Hand [Player Hand]"
9. Again, under "Belongs to side" "Add" "Solo" and click OK
10. Do "File" "Save" and you're all set. Just choose "Solo" as your player when you start the game.
11. Have fun, rinse and repeat.

--Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
come read articles and talk games on therewillbe.games
mbmbmbmbmb
KentuckyKid wrote:
(I've tried setting up the actual game to do this various times, but we always seem to need the gaming table for something else before I get very far!)
-Darin

Man, I know, isn't that the truth...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phaedrus4242 wrote:
I gotcha covered!

Thanks, Tim. I look forward to trying it out!

-Darin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim,

I tried your advice, and I still can't click-drag cards from the Decks window to each individual hand. I can move chits around for both sides, but I can't seem to pick up cards (for either side when I'm playing as "Solo", and for AP when I'm playing as CP).

Thanks again,
-Darin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Cropley
United States
Hermon
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm Darin,

I just went back and checked to make sure and (playing as SOLO) I can click and drag any card for either side around to anywhere. I could even put a CP card in the AP deck and shuffle it in!

You ARE choosing "Solo" when you start the scenario and not "Observer", CP or AP, right? I'm confused...

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again, Tim. I'll try downloading the original mod again and following your instructions to the letter (just in case I messed something up in my earlier edits).

-Darin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I tried again with a fresh copy of the v4 mod, and still no dice (or no cards, as the case may be). I can *occasionally* pick up a CP card from the Decks (playing as Solo), but I can't most of the time. I also can't "flip over" the GoA card in the CP hand to see it. I can never pick up AP cards from the Decks. Weird.

I'll keep trying. I wonder if it would work just to use VASSAL to track the "board" parts of the game, and then just use the actual card decks on the side?

Thanks for all of your help.
-Darin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried once more, and it all works fine in v3 of the module -- and the "solo" option is already built in. I don't know why it isn't working in v4, but I can go with v3 for what I need. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Cropley
United States
Hermon
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to try it with v4. I've been using v3.

BTW, the Guns of August card doesn't have "Flip" in the right-click menu, but you can flip it by selecting it and hitting CTRL-F.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls