Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sat down a few days ago at BGG Con 2016 to play Moscow 41.

While there is a learning curve with some of the rules and unique concepts explained, after pushing blocks on the map and doing some mock battles for a bit, I began to see it.

The only thing I can liken it to is being in a symphony hall, when the music comes on and you feel that rush of beautiful sound washing over you.

By about the fourth impulse of the first turn, I felt that wave. It was playing smoothly and quickly. And it was not an easy choice for either side.

You've probably seen the reports that there are tough decisions for both sides to make. Yes there are.

Unlike previous East Front games that I have played, the German side is not all powerful to start with. They will win anywhere they fight, dice excluding, but they can't fight everywhere or they will run out of time. They need to encircle, penetrate and protect their lines.

In other East Front games, playing the Soviets early on is no fun. You just take your beating from the superior Axis side and hope to hang on long enough or play the game long enough to see your side turn the tables.

Well that last part is accurate, you are trying to hang on. But you have more choices as the Soviets than just taking a beating. I really liked that aspect!

The Soviets are fun to play although they have their own challenges, largely by the decision to retain their remnant units up front or try to pull them back and rebuild them.

The Germans have a lot to do and not much time to do it. But they need more troops right at the start, should they surrender the initiative disk to draw for more forces? YES! But what does that cost them to do that?

Time, losses, bad weather all seemed to get a countdown clock going in my head.

I really like this game.

It is a fresh look at a campaign and a theater that have been examined with many other interpretations yet M41 stands on its own as an instant classic.

I can't wait to play again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:

In other East Front games, playing the Soviets early on is no fun. You just take your beating from the superior Axis side and hope to hang on long enough or play the game long enough to see your side turn the tables.

You've obviously never played RED STORM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He did say "playing the Soviets early on..."

I've found when a poster uses the word "obviously" with someone they never met, while making a short quip that does not address anything else in a long post, it's usually not constructive and generally belittling.

Are you trying to be unpleasant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
sduke wrote:

You've obviously never played RED STORM.

Never even heard of it.

No, my experience has been limited to:

The Russian Campaign
Holdfast Russia
Barbarossa to Berlin
Eastfront
Panzergruppe Guderian
No Retreat
Proud Monster
Typhoon

I am sure there are a couple others that I have forgotten. So clearly my body of work is incomplete! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get why you get so up in arms about my remark.

There is nothing insulting in it, nor was it intended as such.

I was just drawing your attention to RED STORM as a game that does just the opposite of the games you experienced.

In the this the Germans start set up all mighty in the East and then the Russian storm hits and the Germans are on a constant retreat, trying to plug holes and delay the defeat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Storm sounds like late war. This is 1941.

I assume you are referring to Red Storm over the Reich?

There are numerous later war games that have the Germans on the defensive. That was not the point of my comment.

A better reference would have been a 1941 game where the Soviets are not on the defensive. Got one of those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Thanks for the AAR.

This seems like a very interesting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david Gorman
Ireland
flag msg tools
Interesting take on the initiative disk. Any time I've played it it was kept by the Germans.

The spending it early for reinforcements plan sounds interesting as a bad draw can be problematic for the Germans getting the Luftwaffe HQs early is a great advantage. The Germans also have more issues with HQs in general and their white units are poor compared to the Russians.

My worry and reason for not playing it as the Germans early was the risk the Russians would just do the same draw more units due to holding 6 victory locations in turn 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
I aten't dead yet...
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my good wife conquering a Shopping Mall.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
...No, my experience has been limited to:

The Russian Campaign
Holdfast Russia
Barbarossa to Berlin
Eastfront
Panzergruppe Guderian
No Retreat
Proud Monster
Typhoon

I am sure there are a couple others that I have forgotten. So clearly my body of work is incomplete! shake

Damn right it's incomplete, you need

Blocks in the East ...whistle

Nice AAR, Steve.

All the best,

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HA!
I have it, but have not played it yet..... YET!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Coleman
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Steve, thanks for the post. Sounds like a lot of fun. How long did it take you guys to play?

Cheers, Terry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think once both players are familiar with the rules that a game is playable in 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

Maybe less if you roll like I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
I aten't dead yet...
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my good wife conquering a Shopping Mall.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
HA!
I have it, but have not played it yet..... YET!

Mon Dieu... c'est un sacrilège...

Careful what you say, Steve, the Italian Mafia is listening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go easy on him, Jim (and Mafia). There was a rumor he was looking at setting up a Blocks in Europe, multi-player, all day event at a con next year.

That would be worth seeing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.